Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

99Trans Am VS: EVO

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 99Trans Am VS: EVO

Well let me set the night up for you...it was about 11PM lastnite and there where a ton of stangs out that would eat me up...i was prob the slowest car there but im stock.. there was a 04 SVT 500RWHP 94GT 576RWHP 91GT 450RWHP and is the fastest ..its set up real nice and runs 10 everytime ...thats just 3 of 8 that where there there had been of couple of run between some stangs...then the cop roll by so we take it easy for about hour..then of couple of guys asked if i would race an EVO i said sure why not...so the boy shows up and we go to the bridge.he has exhuast,intake,boost control and some other stuff...i have Cat-Back..so we do a 40 roll
1st race we start out and he pulls about 1/2 car on me and then misses 3rd so that race was shot..but i decied to just keep it down to size him up.
2nd race i jam it back down in 1st and hit rev limiter so hes about a 1/2 car on me but i dont give up i start reeling him in and when i hit 4th it was all over i pulled about 2 cars on him but i shifted to 5th and we even out. we where goin about 150 plus..i let out and just made the exit..he missed it and had to go about 10 miles up and back ...but over it was pretty fun night.

I would like to go from a dig to see what hes got and what i got vs AWD...but im a lil short on tires
Old 09-04-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99TA6SPD
Well let me set the night up for you...it was about 11PM lastnite and there where a ton of stangs out that would eat me up...i was prob the slowest car there but im stock.. there was a 04 SVT 500RWHP 94GT 576RWHP 91GT 450RWHP and is the fastest ..its set up real nice and runs 10 everytime ...thats just 3 of 8 that where there there had been of couple of run between some stangs...then the cop roll by so we take it easy for about hour..then of couple of guys asked if i would race an EVO i said sure why not...so the boy shows up and we go to the bridge.he has exhuast,intake,boost control and some other stuff...i have Cat-Back..so we do a 40 roll
1st race we start out and he pulls about 1/2 car on me and then misses 3rd so that race was shot..but i decied to just keep it down to size him up.
2nd race i jam it back down in 1st and hit rev limiter so hes about a 1/2 car on me but i dont give up i start reeling him in and when i hit 4th it was all over i pulled about 2 cars on him but i shifted to 5th and we even out. we where goin about 150 plus..i let out and just made the exit..he missed it and had to go about 10 miles up and back ...but over it was pretty fun night.

I would like to go from a dig to see what hes got and what i got vs AWD...but im a lil short on tires
he'll probably rape you from a dig if he knows how to drive since your stock...and the stuff he has doen to that car are very good....a turbo back exhaust and itnake do wonders for the 4g63t motor.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:07 PM
Teching In

a tune (reflash) will let him see the true potential of his mods though
Old 09-04-2005, 01:52 PM
10 Second Club

good kill- from a stop it'll be tough to catch him, however it is not impossible if you guys race to 150mph. you won't catch him in 1/4 mile.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

Im stock and lost to a stock evo. Off the line he pulled 1 1/2 cars. I was at his gas cap when we pass the car at the quater mile. I will race soon. Getting my lid and cutout installed just to make sure i beet him.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

must have been a really long road to hit 150+!
Old 09-04-2005, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice kill. Time for some real mods. LID, Headers, Nittos, Cam and tune!!
Beat the Evo from a dig and Kill him from a ROLL, even if he has the tune.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

Good run. As for the comment above actually Intakes arent the best thing for Evo's it messes up the mass air reading, some have actually lost power with an intake.

If its a decently modded Evo and he can drive, its hard to beat 1/4 mile off the line in a stock TA. I dont consider myself the best driver in the world, but I have taken a TA and a Ram Air out with my Evo. I need to get it to the track and see what it will run.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
Good run. As for the comment above actually Intakes arent the best thing for Evo's it messes up the mass air reading, some have actually lost power with an intake.

If its a decently modded Evo and he can drive, its hard to beat 1/4 mile off the line in a stock TA. I dont consider myself the best driver in the world, but I have taken a TA and a Ram Air out with my Evo. I need to get it to the track and see what it will run.
Out of the many encounters with stock or modified EVO's I havent ran across one that is fast yet.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:09 AM
Teching In

oh yea, i forgot to mention it b4, good kill!
Old 09-06-2005, 03:23 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MetallicBluews6
Out of the many encounters with stock or modified EVO's I havent ran across one that is fast yet.
Well im sure you will sooner or later. Problem is most of these kids, think getting by with a $50 boost controller is better than getting the ecu reflashed. My buddy thought the same thing, said it was a waste of money for me to get my ecu flashed and that I should have got a boost controller. Well he wasnt thinking that after we raced, he wanted some more info on the flash

It all depends on how you are racing these guys as well, if you run into a modded Evo with decent mods on it you could be in for a surprise esp from a dig. I have raced friends with more hp and on BFG drag radials and have taken them out 1/4 mile. Then again, I tend to think my mod list is pretty good should be running 11's and by next summer possibly 10s on a daily driven street car.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:43 AM
12 Second Club

my bro has an 05 evo with turbo back, flashed comp., intake, a couple of other goodies, and we took our cars to the strip and i beat him 5/6 times but when we hit the street we went from a dig and he'll jump 3 cars ahead before i start reeling him in, with moist roads , otherwise it depends on the driver and the surface you are running on, ideal conditions you should connect well enough to take him but his awd helps on the street.

Last edited by CarZ28; 09-07-2005 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
Well im sure you will sooner or later. Problem is most of these kids, think getting by with a $50 boost controller is better than getting the ecu reflashed. My buddy thought the same thing, said it was a waste of money for me to get my ecu flashed and that I should have got a boost controller. Well he wasnt thinking that after we raced, he wanted some more info on the flash

It all depends on how you are racing these guys as well, if you run into a modded Evo with decent mods on it you could be in for a surprise esp from a dig. I have raced friends with more hp and on BFG drag radials and have taken them out 1/4 mile. Then again, I tend to think my mod list is pretty good should be running 11's and by next summer possibly 10s on a daily driven street car.
Most of the guys I raced were the same age or older and swore up and down that there EVO would walk me. It seems that STI drivers are little more mature.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:43 PM
11 Second Club

Against my brother, I had major boost leak at upper RPM (22 psi leaking to 14-15 psi by 7200 RPM - normal is 22 to 7K then taper to 19 by 7800). I was at his rear tire in every race but one when my trans locked me out of 3rd. Plus I was running on a freshly installed clutch. So it was being broken in and tested that day. One that 1/6, and everything was running better it took him all track to get close to me (due to the leak), but I still had the win lights.

On the street, 3 cars from a dig, and side-by-side I will pull ahead until 100ish then we will remain at a constant distance.

These cars, F-Bodies and Evo 8's, are farely matched given their differences. So most depends on conditions and set-ups.

Originally Posted by CarZ28
my bro has an 05 evo with turbo back, flashed comp., intake, a couple of other goodies, and we took our cars to the strip and i spanked him 5/6 times but when we hit the street we went from a dig and he'll jump a car ahead before i start reeling him in, otherwise it depends on the driver and the surface you are running on, ideal conditions you should connect well enough to take him but his awd helps on the street.

Last edited by SmikeEvo; 09-07-2005 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MetallicBluews6
Me to.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

just get headers and a loudmouth with no cats...give it a good rev next to it and you'll win without a doubt.....he wont move.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:37 AM
TECH Regular

Haha thats the opposite from what Ive seen. Most STi owners I know are very cocky and immature. I dont know how many Ive run into that as soon as they see me, pull up reving wanting to run. LOL, doesnt take much to get them to stop though one quick pull and they usually back off

Smike...You shouldnt be racing with a new clutch. I just got a new one not too long ago but went about 1K miles before getting on it any. With my flash I hold 21-22 psi to redline @ 8K and the car pulls pretty good up top too, but cams help that a lot
Old 09-09-2005, 07:11 AM
11 Second Club

Quik - I agree the STi clan and more so with the SRT4 group are a bit immature.

As for the clutch - I talked to ACT about proper break in, and they said about 4-5 hundred miles of light driving then some good starts to seat it. Its working great now. Right now I hold 22-21 psi to 7K, yep those cams will give you more top end. So I just shift right at 7200.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:58 PM
11 Second Club

From last Friday - I am still shifting early at 7200 rpm, and I still noticed that at high rpm my BOV is opening - bleeding off boost. But not to bad playing nice. I am going to put both springs in the BOV and do some more runs in a week or two. And shift higher - on one run I was shifting at 7800 rpm, but I got locked out of 4th. Ended up coasting the last bit at 104 and a 13.5. So if I didnt miss 4th, that run would have been good for 12s. Eh next time.

Date: September 09, 2005
1/4 Mile: 13.01 @ 106.34mph
1/8 Mile: 8.35 @ 85.1mph
60': 1.71
Race Track: Island Dragway
Temperature: 67
Octane: 93
Old 09-15-2005, 04:01 PM
Teching In

I did 12.5@110mph when i had my evo. It had full 3inch, no cat, boost cont. and flash, 21psi. Put down 290awhp and 318ftlbs and a mustang awd dyno.