Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Red FRC C5 vs. N/A '96 Cobra 'vert

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Red FRC C5 vs. N/A '96 Cobra 'vert

My apologies in advance to all the decent C5 drivers out there. By no means am I saying I could take down any Vette on the road, but I sure got the better of this one. There’s at least one cocky driver in every kind of car. Always fun to see ‘em get taken down a peg or two.

Anyway, I’d finally got my car back after a week of delayed and incorrect parts shipping. I was itching to take her out and play after getting fresh Nitto DRs, finally doing some exhaust mods and a single blade Accufab throttle body. I hung downtown with the Fuel **** crew until Dave and I left the corner in search of some food. After spending 20 minutes weaving our way through the gold teeth and 24s crowd cruising Orlando that weekend, we made it up to Checkers on Colonial Drive. PACKED. Oh well, McDonald’s. Nope, packed there too. We decided to run Colonial all the way out until we found something.

A mile up the road, I saw headlights coming up fast. A red FRC Corvette with two guys inside pulled up next to us and threw a rev, then the driver popped the clutch at about 20mph and squealed away. I was in the mood to play even if it meant a loss, so I caught up and gave them an earful of Hooker long tubes and off-road X pipe to let ‘em know I was game. They caught up on my left, and the Vette’s passenger rolled his window down. “You don’t want none o’ this!” I just smiled back. They took off again. I knew there was no way I was going to hang with an LS1 from a 40 roll or more, so I was hoping for a light to make it interesting for him. When I caught up again, the passenger leans over and says, “Remember now, you only got a Mustang…”

Ohhhh, it’s on now…

After leapfrogging back and forth looking for some open space, we slowed to about 20-25mph. I dropped to 1st and waited for his move. We both tipped into the throttle then went wide open. It sounded like he chose 2nd gear instead of 1st, his mistake because I pulled over a car length on him and held it all the way through 2nd gear into 3rd. I was surprised at how my car was running. Dave was rolling, waving out the window back at him. I slowed down for them to even up on our right side. The driver said, “I see that thing’s pretty quick from 25 or 30 mph. But, you know I’d KILL you from a stop.” Dave looked at me, almost unable to keep a straight face. I said, “Yeah? OK.” He told us to turn around and go again.

We ended up at a light on an empty four-lane blacktop split by a median. I held the throttle at 4 grand and watched the cross light. On green, he dumped the clutch and blew the tires off. I got a decent launch and ran through the gears, putting two cars on him until I let off midway through 3rd. We waited for him at the next light, with Dave cracking up. Dave gave him props on his car when they rolled up. The driver said, “Yeah, you know I’d take you if I didn’t keep missing gears.” We ran another short burst, with me letting off at the top of 2nd gear when I saw headlights coming the other way. We met up again. “You’re not running out a quarter mile, that’s more like a 1/8th mile. I’d get you in the quarter.” Dave told him we knew that his car would get us on top end. I was thinking, with more horsepower and less weight, you should be walking by me at the 1/8th, not hanging a car or more behind. We rolled back toward downtown, and ended up on a light on Princeton with nothing as far as the eye could see. His window came down. “See, here’s a nice long stretch…” I said OK.

Off the line, it was an immediate half car or more. By 2nd gear, I had about 6 feet between his nose and my rear bumper. He started to gain on me in 3rd, pulling to my front tire with me at redline in that gear, which is where I usually hit the traps. I went a little into 4th so he wouldn’t think I shut down to avoid a loss, and he pulled about a fender ahead before we both shut down. Quarter mile though, I nosed him on that one.

He told Dave, “I see what you mean about top end, you were right. That thing is f***ing quick though!” We both complimented him on his car and a good run and headed back to the corner. Funny though, after the first run, his passenger was strangely quiet…

We never did get anything to eat.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Launching!

Nice Kill! I'm a vette driver who wouldn't have let that happen!!!! However, I never run my mouth because I have no clue what the guy next to me has. Sounds like you have a pretty sweet car, you should clarify to everyone if you have a 5.0 under the hood or a 4.6.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

all 96+ Mustangs have a 4.6 for the V8 displacement.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Wow, I should have known that considering I had a 2002GT for 2 years!
Old 09-05-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Regular

Actually some of us have a 4.6 stroked to a 5.0
Old 09-06-2005, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Nice kill!
Old 09-06-2005, 04:56 PM
10 Second Club

good story/kill. bet that vette driver thinks twice before talking all of that smack again- im sure he already ordered thousands of $ worth of aftermarket parts to ensure that never happens again
Old 09-08-2005, 01:20 AM
On The Tree

NICE KILL, It really sucks when someone cant drive their car! That shouldnt have even been a race, people like that should drive automatics!!!!
Old 09-09-2005, 04:53 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up Great Kill

Thank you for putting him in his place. Just...all I can say is...thank you...he deserved it so much...*sniff*...
Old 09-09-2005, 06:07 AM
11 Second Club

Pretty good story...BTW nice kill.