Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Talon quickness

Old 09-15-2005, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Talon quickness

I have heard that these little buggers can be made to be quite fast.

A guy I know has a first gen talon awd turbo.

Im not quite sure on all of his mods but he said something about a bigger turbo and boost control etc.
the thing that gets me is he said it was around 300 horsepower....I would think it would be closer to 4 or even 5 hundred from what I have heard these things can do with a bigger turbo.
I obviously would lose from a stop....being I have no DR's, but do you guys think it is possible he could take me down from a slow roll?
I know they run fast....and dont take much to get deep into 12's....but the trap speeds are never that impressive. The low 12 second cars dont even trap 110 from what Ive gathered. This gives me the impression that I would have a good shot at taking him (from a roll) even if he has some serious mods. But I doubt I could reel him in from a stop.

what do you guys think?

thanks
Old 09-15-2005, 09:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this prolly belongs in the Streetracing/Kill section, but....

Yea they can be fast. The AWD's can run solid 13's with next to nothing in mods. If he's pushing 300ish RWHP he "should" be capable of mid-low 12's I would think. I would imagine he would trap in the low teens, maybe a hair slower.

Rule of thumb is that AWD is usually slower from a roll due to drivetrain loss, and at that HP level that statement probably still stands true. IMO though, when you start getting up in the 500RWHP range, I don't think that AWD/RWD will make that much of a difference.

If he wants to race, run him from a dig. Screw "roll" racing. Ask him to give you the bump and that would probably make the race a little more fair. With your mods, if you can keep him within reach at the start (1-2 cars), I would think you could pull him up top...

Jon
Old 09-15-2005, 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

There was one a few years ago running at Gulfport Dragway that was running mid to low 12's, so I too believe that it was possible because I saw it. I don't remember the trap speeds being that high either, but time is beginning to mess with my hair and my memory.
I say try to run him both ways, but if you are going to bet, bet him from a roll. LOL
Old 09-15-2005, 02:11 PM
11 Second Club

If he is 300 to the wheels, and you go from a dig, be sure to get a spot and the bust. You are going to need it. Those things will come out of the whole like nothing you ever seen no matter what the road conditions. If you go from a roll, heads up will be OK, but try and get either under his boost curve, or at the end of it. This will give you the power curve advantage at the beginning. With a turbo car, this will make a difference.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah DSM's Can be made quick fairly easily Prior to mine getting totaled by an old lady running a red light I ran a 10.88 at the 1/4 mile strip at IRP. But now I have the SS.. I like the torque and no turbo lag but I have to admit I miss the AWD..
Old 09-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Sweet Cheeks

A monkey can get DSMs in the twelve's, 11s are typical. Few get them in the 10s or faster and have them survive. DSM are always breaking parts.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:46 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, once in the 12s they start busting axles. Then 11s the bottom end starts going out. If it made it this far.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Basically what I figured.
But im still not sure on what he all has done. But if it really is only 300 horsepower then Ill try it from a stop and pray that the ls1 will catch him. Im not really too worried about going from a roll no matter what his mods...my car is an absolute beast from a first gear roll. If he beats me from a first gear roll then Ill be stunned....but im sure it is possible.
I once raced an early 80's bonneville that had a 383 stroker that ran 12.70's @ 108-110....he beat me by about 1-2 cars every single time from a stop....but from the trusty RICER first gear roll I got him by like 2-3 car lengths
The colder weather is really killing my traction though....I spin uncontrollable all the way through second from a first gear roll....when it used to just spin part way through second controleably.

Does letting air out of stock tires (kumho ecsta 712's) help at all? I have let them down to 18-20 psi when racing and it seemed to help.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:24 AM
Launching!

Doesnt Stay Moving...........I had 3 at one time, and all were broken. Loved the cars but the LS1 got me
Old 09-17-2005, 07:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use to own a 2003 Evo w/ a Vishnu Stage One package (Before something flew into the engine bay in it on La Tuna Canyon, ruining the engine). Against my buddies A4 SS on DR's i'd murder him out of the hole (I'd always get 1.9 sec. 60', though I could pull a 1.8). With a more aggressive clutch, i'm sure that guy could pull a 1.7 sec. 60' on you, which you definitely won't touch w/ street tires. Anyways, you'll most likely catch up w/ him past the 1/8th mile mark. It all depends on the size of his hairdryer. I'm guessing he's probably running a TD04/05 hybrid, which is amazingly common in those cars. He's probably running low 12's. Slap some DR's on your car, you'll do well.

Search this Thread