Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LS1 TA vs. LS1 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 TA vs. LS1 Camaro

Driving with the top down, yeah, it actually didn't rain yesterday, first pretty Saturday since the start of the Hurricane Season, I think, and I see an '01 or '02 blue Camaro that seemed a little odd to me at first. I see an SS spoiler but a Z28 badge on the right of the rear bumper. On the front fenders, I see there are no Z28 badges. Also, the wheels were mismatched. Three were the same, and one of the front ones was different. I started thinking, Hmmm, maybe some V6 Camaro ricer. I thought, as a last measure to identify the car as an LS1 or not, to try and see if he had rear drums instead of rotors in the back. Before I could take a look, the light changed and he took off. No doubt now, LS1, by the sound. I took off after him, just to say what's up. He starts gunning it, so I figure, what the hell... I gun my car. He's ahead by a car by the time we were gunning it, both of us in our sweet spots. He slams second and barks the tires, then I do the same. I was hoping he was an A4, but now I started to worry. He was M6, too. I think, great, both of us M6, he had a catback for sure by the sound, at least, and I had a catback and a K&N FIPK, and he weighs alot less. Sure enough, he's ahead by a car and I can't close the distance. By the time we hit 95ish mph, we both shut down with him ahead by a car and a half. His brakes' smell hit me in the face like a brick wall. I was braking hard, too. I tell the driver, nice car, and I see two guys that looked like high school kids, they tell me the same, and we went our ways. I thought, damn, if they're high school kids, they're lucky as f*ck to have that car. It just sucks that they had the car in that shape. The passenger was bouncing a basketball on the passenger's side dashboard at the light, entertaining himself. Oh well, I was feeling old after this. I really take good care of my car, if a passenger was doing that in my car, I'd slap him. New generation, I guess. That's my streetracing contribution today.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

damn kids
Old 09-18-2005, 09:17 PM
STF Veteran

LS1s are getting cheaper. While I wouldn't buy MY kids a 350hp musclecar as their first (or even second) cars, I know people who would. Plus they're getting to the point where the kid could seriously save up like 4k or 5k over a summer job and get their parents to front them the rest.

That car is likely going to end up in a ditch or jutting out of some other car tho. Hopefully the kids won't get hurt and will treat their next high hp car with the respect it deserves.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Why are all riced camaro's 'probably v6's'... I see a ton of riced out z28's all the time. I dont think the engine has anything to do with it. Sorry to get a little defensive...But anyways, nice kill
Old 09-18-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Chadder
Why are all riced camaro's 'probably v6's'... I see a ton of riced out z28's all the time. I dont think the engine has anything to do with it. Sorry to get a little defensive...But anyways, nice kill

Sorry but here in central cal the people with z28's and ss's keep them looking decent for the most part, every riced out camaro I have seen has unfortunately been a v6 though I will admit it hasn't been that many. The mustangs on the other hand get it bad, the only clean ones i have yet to see riced are cobra's.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:44 PM
Teching In

I'm 21, and this is my second car(it was my dads till he got the Goat) and I am respectful of this beasts power. That and I wouldn't let anyone drink/eat/smoke anything in my car, hell I keep it covered at all times. I don't care how inexpensive an LS1 may be, they deserve proper respect.
I love my car!
Old 09-18-2005, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chadder
You don't need to get defensive just because you own a V6. It wasn't a stab at V6's. Lighten up. BTW, not that the V8's are immune, but I have rarely seen any ricer additions. For the most part LS1's/LT1's don't seem to be a popular car to rice out.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Skarecrow
LS1s are getting cheaper. While I wouldn't buy MY kids a 350hp musclecar as their first (or even second) cars, I know people who would. Plus they're getting to the point where the kid could seriously save up like 4k or 5k over a summer job and get their parents to front them the rest.

That car is likely going to end up in a ditch or jutting out of some other car tho. Hopefully the kids won't get hurt and will treat their next high hp car with the respect it deserves.
I'm 18 and I can drive an LS1 just fine. Raise the damn kids right and they won't kill themselves.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:11 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by ebear
I'm 18 and I can drive an LS1 just fine. Raise the damn kids right and they won't kill themselves.
Hey, no offense intended. I put my mustang into a ditch and I was 24 at the time. heh.

Playing Project Gotham Racing for 5 hours straight and then getting called into work on a saturday night don't mix. doh.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:18 PM
Launching!

Hey, no offense intended. I put my mustang into a ditch and I was 24 at the time. heh.

Playing Project Gotham Racing for 5 hours straight and then getting called into work on a saturday night don't mix. doh.
No worries, I don't take offense from the internet and I hope that you don't either. Just saying... Handling a 350 HP car comes down to the driver, not the age.

Last edited by ebear; 09-18-2005 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

I think it has to do more to the fact that ls1 fbodies are preety unforgiving if you mess up, you are going to pay for it big time. Fbodies just have this raw acceleration and it gets nasty fast if you dont pay attention.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:05 PM
Launching!

I'm 20, and i had a mustang gt at age 17, while not an ls1, was still running 9.0 1/8 and was pretty quick, and I never had any speeding tickets or accidents. Now I HOPE to keep the same true on my vette!
Old 09-18-2005, 11:32 PM
TECH Junkie

I didn't mean to criticize their age... They could've been forty. They just didn't seem to treat it right or have it well-maintained.

About the V6 thing, nine times out of ten, when I see a Camaro with nasty vinyls and/or mismatched wheels, it's a V6. Sorry, maybe it's just Miami, but it's still just probabilities very easily observed. Can this neglect happen with a Z28? Obviously, it did this time, anyway. Usually, very usually, it's the V6's... Sad, tough to swallow, maybe, but true.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

No worries, I don't take offense from the internet and I hope that you don't either. Just saying... Handling a 350 HP car comes down to the driver, not the age.
Handling any car comes down to the driver...
Old 09-19-2005, 11:39 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ebear
I agree, I grew up around high performance cars, a 76 vette with a zz4 with 400 at the wheel. and a 96 impala ss done right, jesper lt-1 and the works done to it without that system and rims S***, as long as the kids have the proper up bringing to respect these cars.