Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

STI vs. LS1

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI vs. LS1

Who would win?The sti has a bov and exhaust that i know of.I have 2.73 but a decent stall.This guy try to cut me off to show off and then got off the exit.I think i know this kid growing up in my old town.My brother race him before and lost from a stop and roll. but his car was running like ****.He put the stock cam back on and race him again from a roll and won.he has a 69 firebird with the 400 block.I think i will past by the kids house this week to see if he wants to race just to see how my car runs.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a lid/catback and a shift kit. I ran some silver WRX that "had stuff done" to quote him. He said he beat LS1's all day, at the time my personal best was 13.3. I beat him by about 3 cars, and i didnt even have the shift kit now that i think about it. Plus, i had some really cheapy tires. You should win. You could at least he had the same stuff done as you say, but by the sound of his attitude, he had more.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Regular

on the track or on the street... Unless you have some meaty tires... he will hurt your feelings off the line... There are also alot of unknowns.. assuming it's stock and both of you can drive the **** out of your cars. I'd say he will spank you off the line and you will catch him and it will be close at the end. on a track with slick or DRs i'd say you'd hold him off.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:27 PM
Teching In

He will have you off the line, if he can launch, they die around 85-90mph. so you will have him up top.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

i was worried about racing an sti to until last friday.

a friend of mine recently dropped 20k on a 2004 sti and its one clean car. I know it has exhaust and some engine work, but i think is running the stock turbo. my car is BONE stock.

we ran three times. once froma 30 roll, which i pulled 2-3 cars by the end of 3rd and cut it off. a 5mph roll which i destroyed him from by about the same length. Then a dead stop, which he jumped 1 1/2 cars on my off the line, but i realed him back in by the top of 2nd.

dont be afraid, our ls1's are stout little engines.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I beat my buddies STi and he has a Turbo Back and a UTEC. He has roughly 290-300 AWHP. He put down 265Awhp on a dyno dynamics (aka heart breaker) dyno. It's a brake style dyno, and when converted to a Dynojet... its roughly 290-300 awhp.

We went about 4 times. 3 times from a dig, 1 from a roll. all times from a dig he got the jump and i had to reel him in... by the time I shifted into 3rd I would be right on his bumper, and throughout 3rd I would put a car on him.

From a roll it wasnt pretty... I gave him the bump and the jump and I walked him something fierce.

Mods are below...
Old 09-22-2005, 04:34 AM
TECH Regular

Well, I compare my Evo to STi's so I'll add this. If he can drive depending on how far your racing, he should get you. If your a decent driver it could be close 1/4 mile. My buddy has a turboback, intake and boost controller and easily runs high 12's, his car is quick even from a roll.

In my Evo I have raced several LS1's and can pull on them even froma roll, but im not stock From a dig, they better be modded to even think of making it a race 1/4 mile. My buddies Mustang runs 13.3 and off the line it got ugly real quick for him, im sure we could have put a couple stretched limo's between us
Old 09-22-2005, 09:03 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm calling it a drivers race given the mods for each car. Stock for stock it's always a drivers race for these two cars. Each of you also have some mods, so I see it as him taking you until around 100mph. A highway roll, you should get him. From a dig he should hold you off.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience since I am an Automatic with a Torque Converter and sticky tires, from a Dig we both jump out with the STI a half car lead and then I destroy them right after that. From a Roll no probs with an STI.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Default sti vs ls1

Well I seen him in the streets and he caught up to me.We hit a red light.I got real nervous since everybody keeps telling me they will kill of the line.Raise my rpms to 900.Light turns green and we hit it.this guy jumps out about 1 1/2 to 2 cars and thats with me having a good launch.I was right next to him at around 70 and put about 2 cars on him by 100.That thing was hell of fast.I felt like it was slow motion catching up to him.That and the evo is one bad car.I think in a few years when used sti and evo become cheap your going to see them everywhere.This is of the subject but I was reading some previous threads about comments like its only a 4banger and i eat 8 for lunch.I hate comments like that.Ya its a 4banger with FI and I know someone is going to say well it comes out of the factory like that.Any FI car can be made fast preety easy and not cost alot Like the DSM,GN,Cobra,etc...By the way can you Imagine If The 2003 and 4 Cobras weight would of been 3200 to 3300 from the fatory or if the ls1 camed SC/T.FI is prety much easy todo when you have it.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:21 PM
Launching!

I bet you feel better now.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Launched at 900 rpms? Thats Idle! I launched at 2k to beat my bud.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:09 AM
Launching!

Nice kill. I am suprised you beat him by that much!! You must have a strong car.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:05 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SporkLover
Launched at 900 rpms? Thats Idle! I launched at 2k to beat my bud.
I used to launch at 5K

That BOV ain't doing anything to promote any speed, so the exhaust would be the mod. Run STi from a dig with your stall and decent tire. You should be ok. Keep running until 120mph. Call it a win.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

i will state what they have already said. I have raced several modded WRXs and one STi locally. The key is this(keep in mind i am an M6): get a good tire, lower tire pressure to 18psi, warm them up real nice, drop it from 3500rpm. You will still spin some, but stay in the throttle 80%. the guys i have raced still pulled a half car one me(my nose at their door). But as soon as you hit 2nd, its over. Now, a good driver is a differecnt story. For example, Evildylan(althogh he has an Evo), on this forum...leaves off the limiter, and you simply cant out launch that on the street. there are two AWD cars that i cant match, both are modded Evos, tho. To sum up, if you can keep on their rear bumper, your fine. I understand that it will take you longer to reel them in with a moderatly stock car...but by 3rd you should have cleared them.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:56 AM
Teching In

I dont launch off the limiter. :-)

i launch at 6000-6500 rpm.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by napoleon
i will state what they have already said. I have raced several modded WRXs and one STi locally. The key is this(keep in mind i am an M6): get a good tire, lower tire pressure to 18psi, warm them up real nice, drop it from 3500rpm. You will still spin some, but stay in the throttle 80%. the guys i have raced still pulled a half car one me(my nose at their door). But as soon as you hit 2nd, its over. Now, a good driver is a differecnt story. For example, Evildylan(althogh he has an Evo), on this forum...leaves off the limiter, and you simply cant out launch that on the street. there are two AWD cars that i cant match, both are modded Evos, tho. To sum up, if you can keep on their rear bumper, your fine. I understand that it will take you longer to reel them in with a moderatly stock car...but by 3rd you should have cleared them.
Your 10 Bolt called me.... he said he hates you