Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charger R/T

old posts

Last edited by offset_98; 02-26-2012 at 08:25 PM. Reason: old posts
Old 10-02-2005, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

wow that sucks, on one hand you the charger guy just can't get enough then the mrs is yappin, good kills any way, I just got in the habit of granny drivin in the camaro every time my girl is with me but she does hate rice so she usually will tell me to go for it then if they act like dumbasses, but usually I don't even bother with the import guys.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by offset_98
Rolling up the 15 on my way to get some grub last night I was about to miss my exit so I signaled, downshifted and tried to get over. A Charger R/T didn't feel like letting me in, instead taking my actions as a challange. It kinda pissed me off b/c A) I was hungry B) Trying to merge onto an exit ramp in my mind shouldn't spark a 'challange' in another persons mind and C) I had my fiance in the car and she HATES when I race. Nonetheless, I backed off knowing I'd miss the exit now, starred him down like the *** he was and hit it. I got the jump on him and I never saw him again. I got off at the next exit and he decided to follow me. We were both first and the left turn light but I was on the inside so when the light turned green, he got the jump but as soon as we were finished w/ the turn, I reeled him in and kept going going. By this time I figured he should know his Chryco blows and my woman was yelling at me like 'this is why we never take this car' (we usually drive the Explorer or Mystique everywhere). Next light, he brake tq'ing so I shut the traction control off, let the light turn and waste him upto the next light. By this time I figured I've proved my point and look for food ignoring his revs again. Charger R/T? See ya.

You need a new hoe
Old 10-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Banned

nice kills. glad to see you put that R/T in its place
Old 10-03-2005, 07:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive been wanting to run a charger r/t because my brother thinks hes getting one and hes convinced its going to be faster then my ws6 just because its got a hemi and a little more hp. little does he know.....hes wrong. ill run all over him in his sissy hemi!
Old 10-03-2005, 09:11 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From all i hear the RT sucks. high 13's...its a pig. good kill(s)
Old 10-03-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Stanger88
I think that's a little unfair. It might not be the fastest thing out there for the BHP, but neither is the LS1.

And what other 4 door family saloon car can you buy for the same money that is as quick as that?

N.B. Not knocking the Ls1 as it is of course GREAT. But there are other 350bhp cars out there which are a fair bit quicker because they weigh less than an Fbody. Which at the end of the say is the main difference between the Fbody and R/T, in performance terms.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:26 AM
Banned

My point was the Charger RT is dodge's "Hemi-Powered" firebreathin' V8...its not my fault it weighs more than my old crown vic weighed, it would be VERY nice to see it tip in at 3450 or so...dont blame ME!
Old 10-03-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

My point was the Charger RT is dodge's "Hemi-Powered" firebreathin' V8...its not my fault it weighs more than my old crown vic weighed, it would be VERY nice to see it tip in at 3450 or so...dont blame ME!
I see acusation agaist you about the weight of the car, just the opinion.

But I know what you mean. I just personally think you shouldn't 'directly' compare them. If you had to carry 4 adults and their luggage across 500 miles I know what I'd choice out of the 2.

Last edited by 300bhp/ton; 10-03-2005 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I understand your point, but, let's be realistic. Any car capable of running 13's has respectable power.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:12 AM
Banned

I agree, but the Charger is Dodge's entry against the new mustang GT, the GTO, STI, EVO, etc. and they dropped the ball. They have a Magnum to carry the need-for-speed soccer moms, lets get real, they NEED A REAL SPORTS CAR!

Last edited by Stanger88; 10-03-2005 at 10:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-03-2005, 10:18 AM
Teching In

I agree, but the Charger is Dodge's entry against the new mustang GT, the GTO, STI, EVO, etc. and they dropped the ball. They have a Magnum to carry the need-for-speed soccer moms, lets get real, they NEED A REAL SPORTS CAR!
And in comes the SRT-8. May not have the looks but at least it will keep up with those while not being a real sports car(4 doors = ugly)
Old 10-03-2005, 10:24 AM
Banned

<still feels that the Charger R/T isnt what it should be. I mean, seriously, I could put a 514 ci big block in a scion BX and it would hand a LOT of stuff its ***...wouldnt be sporty though.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

I think you may have forgotten the VIPER??

If Dodge made a cheeper faster variant then why would anyone buy the Viper.

The Charger, may not be the best name but it is a GOOD car and certainly fills a gap in the market, previoesly only occupied by BMW/Jaguar and Mercedes, they just cost a bit more money though.

If the Charger had been called something else (a new name) would you or others still hate on it so much, or is it the fact that you like many think the Charger should be a 2 door coupe like the General Lee.

It's a valid point, if not slightly mis-guided, as what you should be doing is attacking the marketing of the car. Not the CAR itself.

And I ask you this, if you are say 30+ want a fast, good looking or striking performance car that's USA built yet can still haul the family round then the Charger R/T fits the bill 100%.

And a lot of others must think so too as:
1. They seem to be selling
2. Ever Mustang/Fbody/Vette owner keeps talking about them like we are here.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:42 AM
Banned

I will agree with that, but the whole thing with Steeve McQueen Bullit vs. Charger etc. makes the charger and absurd name for that car. The Mustang and the Charger are SUPPOSED to be competitors, not family car vs. sports car. Ford did their part...where is dodge? Oh, im sorry, they jsut werent happy with their Magnum...had to have ANOTHER fast family car...pfffft.

I see what you are all saying, it jsut makes no sense to have a Magnum AND a Charger filling the same role when the SRT4 (do they still make it?) is the only true sports car besides the Viper (bit of a price difference...).
Old 10-03-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

I will agree with that, but the whole thing with Steeve McQueen Bullit vs. Charger etc. makes the charger and absurd name for that car. The Mustang and the Charger are SUPPOSED to be competitors, not family car vs. sports car. Ford did their part...where is dodge? Oh, im sorry, they jsut werent happy with their Magnum...had to have ANOTHER fast family car...pfffft.

I see what you are all saying, it jsut makes no sense to have a Magnum AND a Charger filling the same role when the SRT4 (do they still make it?) is the only true sports car besides the Viper (bit of a price difference...).

you can still get srt-4s and neons but as of Sept 19 (IIRC) the last neon rolled off the production line and it's replacment is coming sometime in the future. From what I've seen it's some ugly looking mini SUV.

I think DC would sell a lot more of the 300c/Charger Variants if they offered a manual tranmission in the car. They should well know by now a T-56 would perfectly meet the Hp and stand up to the extra weight in one of those cars. I've yet to ever ride in a t-56 conversion 94-96 Impala SS, but I've heard they're fun especially with 4.56 gears
Old 10-03-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

totally with ya.

Although I think the marketing men where going along the lines of aiming the car at people who wanted a Charger when they where younger and the Charger was still in production, but couldn't afford one.

Now they have a family and need a more sensible car. I don't personally agree with this approach, but as I said it has filled a gap in the market. If it continues to sell well I can see Ford bringing in the 5.4 litre 4 door Falcon from Australia and rebadging it as some past muscle car.

BTW - Was the Charger and Mustang ever direct competitors? I have a collection or Road and Track articles covering most of the Chargers from the 60/70's. And they often referred to it as being not really being a pony car, as it was too big and heavy. Also the main stay of engine's was the 440 and 426, where as there may have been a large 427 for the Stang the 289 and 351 where the more normal options for performance enthusiast.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

4 door **** banger with a 300C interior, worthless waste of a sports car badge
Old 10-03-2005, 12:59 PM
Banned

I belive R&T paired the new Charger and GT agaisnt each other but only last month...(could have been Automotive or someone though, but i DEFINITELY remember the article). Also, in the dukes of Hazzard, the charger's main competitor was the mustang (if you watched the movie) and where I live on opening night the local dodge dealer had both a new and old-school charger in front of the theater...so i dunno...you tell me, WERE they supposed to compete? it sure looks like it...
Old 10-03-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I test drove a Charger R/T Daytona and was impressed for a big car, it sounds good and has lots of torque. I've got two kids and the wife needs a new car so it would be a practical family car / toy but the Z-28 will always be the sporty one. I like the charger, it's different yet cool in it's own way