Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LT1 Corvette and Fox Cobra???

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Corvette and Fox Cobra???

On my way to work this morning and I pass a fox-bodied Mustang with a cobra emblem where the "5.0" would be. The next light turns red and he pulls up next to me. I'm thinking he's not going to race , so I'm not even ready for his intense launch (his car is way louder than mine...). By the top of first gear I've got him reeled in bumper to bumper. 2nd gear he fell behind quick, and by the time I hit the top of 3rd his car is barely within the dimensions of my driver's side mirror. A nice, brief adrenaline rush to start my day

I didn't know they made Cobras in the fox platform (pre SN95). Does anyone know what made them different? Or maybe this guy just got the emblem and a different spoiler...it was a fun race regardless. Most people don't try to race me around here, even though my car is stock and nothing special.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:03 AM
Launching!

Default Lt1 Vs 93 Cobra

The differance was in the intake [Cobra intake] they had better flowing heads. Stock they were only 14.50 more or less.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Most people will put emblems and the spoiler on their rides and may find some wheels, but most won't put the correct groundeffects or running horse front emblem.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:27 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

14.5 out of tune and with my grandma driving.... A properly prepped 93 cobra would hit 13's. (That means timing bump, short belt, good tires, tuned up, and a god driver) Back in the day one magazine got 13.47 out of one with this tune plus a shortbelt and iced intake. I admit, its tuned for a track run, but 13.47 aint bad...
Old 10-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

Judging by his car's performance and/or driving, this guy's car would hit mid to high 14s. His car sounded really good and loud. Until I passed him his exhaust was drowning out my music and my windows were up.

Track times are a lot different where I'm at though. The stock LS1 f-bodies are running mid to low fourteens at the track . Even the LS1 Corvettes have a hard time breaking into the 13s. Not sure why this is, elevation is somewhere around 2600 or 2700.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:06 PM
Banned

There ya go...in your elevation, he WOULD have been a 14.5 and if you lower that, high 13's to mid 13's...so yeah, its a mid/high 13's car in good trim. BTW, i know of a civic that will drown out your music, wanna run him? He has a REALLY BIG sticker on his car...(sorry, couldnt resist that one).
Old 10-05-2005, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Stanger88
There ya go...in your elevation, he WOULD have been a 14.5 and if you lower that, high 13's to mid 13's...so yeah, its a mid/high 13's car in good trim. BTW, i know of a civic that will drown out your music, wanna run him? He has a REALLY BIG sticker on his car...(sorry, couldnt resist that one).
LOL
Old 10-05-2005, 02:37 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah those 93 Cobras were pretty nice. They were rated at 240 HP but from what I remember reading, they were closer to 265 HP (flywheel ofcourse).
Old 10-05-2005, 02:45 PM
Banned

Yes, they had Roller rockers, GT40 intake, better flowing heads, underdrive pullies...yeah...they had some stuff.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Regular

I am not a big fan of fox bodies my self but I noticed the cobra part. Not a race but I was driving next to a guy(older) who had a silver fox with cobra emblems and cobra on the back of his car. Point being it was actually a very nice car, pretty loud too, first fox I took liking to.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice kill. I really like a well done up 5.0 fox body, they can look plain mean. Couple guys who go to the same weekly car show as I do have some nice 5.0's, once is vortech superchaged, really nice cars. Then however there are the thousands of other fox bodies in my area that people dont take car of and are all rusted out due to our harsh winters. My buddy was looking for a fox body 5.0 for a while with me helping him and everything we looked at was garbage, I mean absolute trash. It just amazes me how people can let their cars turn to ****. he ended up finding a clean 95 5.0, but IMO the fox bodies look way better.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:55 PM
Banned

<rust free, new paint job coming in 2 weeks, no cracked dash....car was purchased for 1K as a rolling chassy (had motor, was THOUGHT to have been blown...still worked fine, was smog pump making noise...) Keep looking, there are GOOD deals out there.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:40 AM
Teching In

One of the best ways to tell if it is a '93 Cobra are the rear disc brakes...
Old 10-06-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

<rust free, new paint job coming in 2 weeks, no cracked dash....car was purchased for 1K as a rolling chassy (had motor, was THOUGHT to have been blown...still worked fine, was smog pump making noise...) Keep looking, there are GOOD deals out there.
Wow thats not a bad deal at all. Yea im sure he could have eventually found something but we looked for over 4 months and the 95 was the best lookin 5.0 we could find and he didnt feel like waiting any longer so we jumped at it. Id love to find a fox body in a few years to mod once I have some time and im working regular hours (being a mutual fund assistant sucks!). Everytime I see an issue of MM&FF with a nicely done up fox body in it I want one more and more.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Banned

when i bought the car, the paint was faded, but under the hood/floorpan/doors etc. there was ZERO rust. The interior is almost perfect (the exception being a small run in the side of the seat upholstry about 2 inches long). And the motor ran well even though HE thought it was blown (smog pump). Heater core was out and tranny was **** though. Also, brake lines, shocks/struts, all that stuff had to be changed. It wasnt a hassel free recondition, but for 1K a never wrecked,perfect interior, rust free fox body GT is NOT A BAD DEAL!!! All you need to do is jsut wait for someone to NEED the money, then go in and shoot em a pitch, he wanted 3K, i offered $750, cash,within 24 hours. I told him after sitting 1 year the seals in the tranny prolly hardened up=$500 re-build, 1K for a motor build (we thought it was blown then), new tires (from flat-spotting/dry rot) $500, told him the fluid/water in the rear had separated and i would probably need to get a new posi-unit, $250 plus labor....and said, thats $750 right there, plus the cracked tail lense, I will give you $750 without looking at it further. He said "i was thinking 1250" I said, meet you in the middle at a grand. He wanted to sleep on it and at 10AM the next morning he called and asked if i still wanted it, i aske if he needed 1K and that was that, had the car picked up that week.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

I can't remember if this car had rear discs. I was too busy recovering from the rush

I have always liked the look of the 5.0 foxes. When I first started getting into cars that was what I wanted. Then I test drove a 93 LT1 and became a Chevy fan immediately . Some day I'd like to get a 5.0 though...
Old 10-06-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Yea im in the same boat, wanted a mustang for a while, preferrably a 5.0, then figured id go with the new body style 99-04 gt (this was back in 2001) since I also wanted a warranty. I test drove a few and was impressed, then I saw my z28 sitting at the chevy dealership down the road and stopped in to test drive it and was sold. I got it with leather, t-tops, 6-speed, bose monsoon system, pretty much every option, for 13K with 29K miles on the clock. All the mustangs I looked at with around the same mileage were at least 16K+ for them so buying the z28 was a no brainer and im so glad I did. Still though id love to get into a 87-93 5.0, ever since seeing them growing up ive always wanted one.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:01 PM
Banned

Same as me 98 Mass, I picked up a loaded 95 LT1 TA 2 years ago for 4500 because it was such a nice looking car, had 147K on it but ran SOLID. Sold it a year ago and realized the dream of owning the 5.0 I like the 5.0 more for power and old school look (everyone is scared of those, especially when they are CLEAN and lope at stoplights...) the TA didnt really handle better,persay, but it had way better "reflexes" as in, they are both flat in a corner, but the TA had razor sharp responses.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

Yes, they had Roller rockers, GT40 intake, better flowing heads, underdrive pullies...yeah...they had some stuff.
*cobra intake, gt40 heads.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Haha definately. I know what you mean, like when i pull up to a light and I see a real clean fox body with a nice lope to it, big tires out back, and loud exhaust I am always worried as to what is up because ive run a couple on the street that have plain kicked my ***. Its can def be an intimidating car.