Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Me Vs. "TWIN TURBO" 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me Vs. "TWIN TURBO" 350Z

So I was coming back from football with my 240lb roommate in the passenger seat when I pull up next to a black 350Z, he was revving the **** out of it.
Conversation:
HIM: You run that thing.
Me: Hell yeah...
HIM: You wanna go?
Me: Uhh right here in ******* town?? LOL
HIM: No, lets go down to the road. (Something about his car being a twin turbo.)
Me: Twin Turbo my ***! I dont hear any turbos...(figured there would be a BOV with a twin turbo setup, plus I have heard many stories about this kid and his assload of bullshit.)
HIM: Lets go down to the street and I'll show you...
Me: Okay...lmao
So we went from 30-80 ( I had to stop for traffic).
I easily pulled a good 3 cars on his beep....
Why try and tell somebody that your car is something that it is not? That is one of the most ricey things I can imagine. What a queer.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

maybe he looked under his hood and saw two things he thought were turbos? Or maybe someone told him he had twin turbos. Of all the times to bullshit, why do it one the road, to goad someone into a race?

Maybe he thought if you didn't think it was modded he wasn't worth running... i dunno.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

great kill.... got my first 350Z the other day..

fun stuff.. good job on shutting him up. lol
Old 10-17-2005, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Probably looked into one of those Tuner mag's and found a twin turbo 350Z and figured hey if he's got TT's I must have em too!

He must drive like poop. 350Z's are capable of 13.6 stock. Your pretty much stock yourself and still beat him by 3 car lengths... thats pretty funny
Old 10-17-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
Probably looked into one of those Tuner mag's and found a twin turbo 350Z and figured hey if he's got TT's I must have em too!

He must drive like poop. 350Z's are capable of 13.6 stock. Your pretty much stock yourself and still beat him by 3 car lengths... thats pretty funny
well since bone stock LS1 A4s with 2.73s are supposed to do 13.4s, i don't think 3 car lengths is out of the question at all.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:46 PM
12 Second Club

I don't think I've ever heard of 13.6 bone stock, but I could be wrong. Most of the ones I saw on 350z forums run low 14s to flat 14s stock.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
350Z's are capable of 13.6 stock
and ls1s are capable of 12.8 stock, but not that many get there
Old 10-18-2005, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I hate first time fast car queers like that. ****** probably bought two turbonators from pep boys
Old 10-18-2005, 12:12 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha nice story ... do remember that some turbo cars don't have BOV's ... obviously that wasn't the case here though.

Nice kill.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:07 AM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
Haha nice story ... do remember that some turbo cars don't have BOV's ... obviously that wasn't the case here though.

Nice kill.
Correct me if I'm wrong, as I've never actually owned a turbo'd car... but isn't that only for full out race turbo setups? Wouldn't it be really dangerous to the long term health of the car not to have a BOV on a street turbo setup?

[rant] BTW, a 2.73 A4 goes 13.4 stock with jesus in the driver's seat maybe. "Stock" doesn't include slicks. I'm not saying it can't be done on street tires, but it's certainly not average. It always annoys me when people say they ran a really fast time "stock" and you question them further and found out they had tires, pullies, lid, catback, and removed everything but the driver's seat from the car. Apparently "stock" to some people means you havn't put a head/cam package in. [/rant]
Old 10-18-2005, 12:34 PM
12 Second Club

You are right. No BOV shortens life of the turbo.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Skarecrow
Correct me if I'm wrong, as I've never actually owned a turbo'd car... but isn't that only for full out race turbo setups? Wouldn't it be really dangerous to the long term health of the car not to have a BOV on a street turbo setup?

[rant] BTW, a 2.73 A4 goes 13.4 stock with jesus in the driver's seat maybe. "Stock" doesn't include slicks. I'm not saying it can't be done on street tires, but it's certainly not average. It always annoys me when people say they ran a really fast time "stock" and you question them further and found out they had tires, pullies, lid, catback, and removed everything but the driver's seat from the car. Apparently "stock" to some people means you havn't put a head/cam package in. [/rant]
Hey I ran a 13.2 with lid and catback with street tires. A 13.4-13.5 stock wouldn't be outta the question.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:44 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=Skarecrow]Correct me if I'm wrong, as I've never actually owned a turbo'd car... but isn't that only for full out race turbo setups? Wouldn't it be really dangerous to the long term health of the car not to have a BOV on a street turbo setup?

well,not all turbo cars have BOV's...and long term health isn't always a problem,cause USUALLY,if there's no BOV,it's because there's a bypass valve instead. which is actually more effective on turbo cars,it releases pressure,and re-circulates it to the charge tube(rather than atmospheric release,like a BOV),slightly reducing lag.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:14 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OdessitPashka
You are right. No BOV shortens life of the turbo.
Wrong. There are many cars that have no BOV.

Many cars come stock with no BOV. The BOV just vents to atmosphere whereas if there was no BOV, the car usually just recirculates the air instead of discharging it completely, in a closed loop system. Both systems have benefits and disadvantages.

Just think about how many turbo cars/trucks you hear running around with a PSHHH sound coming from them ... it's really mostly just cars with big aftermarket turbo's.

Old 10-18-2005, 11:15 PM
Teching In

I had one idiot with a 350 tell me his CAI only Z ran 12.8 I woulda ran him if I hadn't been drinking and had my car with me.(I don't even fondle my keys when alcohol touches my lips)

I've also had a salesman tell me I'd "be surprised" by how fast a 350Z was, I just laughed and said I don't think so.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

This *** evidently told my friend with an EVO that he ran his to a 12.8 at the track two weeks off the showroom floor and that he had the car to 177mph yeah that is 177mph on the highway...lmfao. Where do ******* like this kid get off? My friend said that he told him that if his car ran 12.8s that his EVO was a 10 second car (really 12.0).
Old 10-18-2005, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

i've heard that 350z's are all fluff. they aren't very quick at all. is this true cause i thought the engine was rated around 290 horse. i mean thats pretty quick for a 6 cylinder.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:54 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
Wrong. There are many cars that have no BOV.

Many cars come stock with no BOV. The BOV just vents to atmosphere whereas if there was no BOV, the car usually just recirculates the air instead of discharging it completely, in a closed loop system. Both systems have benefits and disadvantages.

Just think about how many turbo cars/trucks you hear running around with a PSHHH sound coming from them ... it's really mostly just cars with big aftermarket turbo's.

I was under an impression that bypass valves were also called BOVs. I guess they have different names, but pretty much do the same thing
Old 10-19-2005, 04:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OdessitPashka
I was under an impression that bypass valves were also called BOVs. I guess they have different names, but pretty much do the same thing
yes there are lots of different names. And very often items are described wrong.

On a turbo setup you usually have 2 different valves.

1. All turbo's have these, it works like a saftey valve. So that it will limit the amount of boost produced. As the faster the engine spins the faster the turbo is spun via the exhaust gases. So boost would continue to rise, this valve then 'gaps' how much boost is produced, say 12psi. Once this psi is reached the pressure has enough force to open the valve venting excess boost.

2. Not all turbo's have these. But there are many variations. When you lift off the throttle it closes the throttle plate (on the TB), this means you get a high pressure air build up between the turbo and the TB, combine this with the fact that the exhaust gases have reduced. This all causes the turbo to STALL, i.e. stop or almost stop rotating.

When you go back to open or full throttle there is a LAG period before the turbo is back upto speed and producing boost. This is the essence of TURBO LAG and has nothing what so ever to do with where in the rpm's boost is made.

Now a BOV or dump valve, releases this high pressure air between the turbo and the TB when the throttle is closed, it however does nothing toi overcome the reduced exhaust gas flow.

So a dump valve is trying to reduce turbo LAG, it will yeild no power increase, but should improve throttle response. However for drag racing it has no benefit at all, because the only time you lift off the throttle is when changing gear (normal shifting). On a race circuit, rally stage or open road you come on ad off the throttle quite a bit.

There are recirculating types which are silent, and the aftermarket 'pppssshhht' type ones.

On most turbo setups you will see little or more often no difference in performance. The claim of it making the turbo last longer is pure myth, and I believe only exists by the people who bought dump valves and found no gain so had to justify why they bought them.

diesels do not need dump valves as you don't have a throttle plate (or even a TB) so there is no high pressure air to release. There are kits for diesels, but they are expensive and only make the sound they do nothing more than that.

The diesel is quite good proof of how little affect dump valves are, as diesel although don't have this high pressure air problem (between turbo & TB) still suffer from LAG, which goes to prove the exhaust gas flow is more critical. There are ALS (anti-lag systems) out there, but they are very expensive and quite destructive to the engine/turbo. Not suitable for road cars.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:28 AM
10 Second Club

jesus christ! you just described the wastegate (controls/limits boost) but we are talking about the bov. amazing

grand nationals didn't come with blow-off valves/bypass valves, which are the SAME ******* THING. some blow-off valves you can re-route back into the intake system so you do not get maf errors which cause the car to run rich when the bov opens (think the maf already read the air going in but the it escapes after the maf= rich).

bov's are to save the intake wheel of the turbo, since upon snapping the throttle plate closed after the turbo is spinning at 30,000 rpms and producing 20 pounds of air per square inch, the air will be dead stopped at the closed throttle plate which will cause pressure the opposite way onto the impeller/intake wheel of the turbo, bending fins. this is also called "compressor surge".

ALL modern turbo systems have a bov stock re-routed into the intake system. it was truly an engineering flaw to make ANY turbo car without a bov, so therefore it is almost not possible that there was a tt 350z without a bov. not i DO NOT know about diesel trucks at all, nor do i give a ****...