Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Got a buddy with an 03 cobra and I want to race him.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 09:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got a buddy with an 03 cobra and I want to race him.....

He's got an 03' Cobra with just a shifter, SLP loudmouth cat-back, pulley (don't know the size) and I think maybe a tune.

I have a 00' C5 coupe with an M6. It has LS1 heads that have been port and polished with a valve job, a medium 228/228 cam, CAI, LS6 intake, shifter, Mcleod twin disc clutch, 3:90 gears, B&B cat-back, and soon will have LG longtube headers with no cats. I'm guessing around 400-420rwhp

He's a nice guy, but I think he's the only one around the base (I'm Air Force) who has a car who can come close to me. (oh I saw a viper today that might be new to the base.....nitrous is in my future )........anyway, should I even bother with **** talking a race out of him? Or should I just hang this one up?
Old 10-24-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Junkie

If he has a pulley and a exhaust he will probably walk you. If you put the nitrus on you should walk him. now if he can't drive thats another story as the irs in the 03 cobras makes it hard to launch properly.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I say you'll get him. It sounds like he hasn't done a whole lot to it yet.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Regular

id say you would walk him. im guessing your car would have the HP to weight ratio, and not to mention aerodynamics (if you get to high enough speeds). Either way it should be a close one
Old 10-24-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Regular

OOPS....well if you dont have LT's when you race, i think i would give the advantage to the cobra.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by VerySlowWS6
OOPS....well if you dont have LT's when you race, i think i would give the advantage to the cobra.
Well I got the headers sitting on my garage floor. My car is currently undergoing some minor surgery at a buddies shop. Should have her back soon, and then I'll get the headers off the floor!

If I race him from a dig, I'll have the advantage because of my gears, but will they help from a roll? I also have some DR's I could put on, but that would be cheating cause he would be running stock tires........so I should too. Not to mention it would look funny to show up to work, talking **** to get a race out of him, then as we walk to our cars, I have tatally different rims on the back than on the front with my DR's!

Knowing him though...........he probably won't race me! He's a nice guy, but he don't seem like the type to race......... I still wan't to egg him on to see what will happen.......
Old 10-24-2005, 10:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
If he has a pulley and a exhaust he will probably walk you. If you put the nitrus on you should walk him. now if he can't drive thats another story as the irs in the 03 cobras makes it hard to launch properly.
Vettes have IRS's too............
Old 10-24-2005, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 00Vette
Vettes have IRS's too............
Yeah...but it's a good IRS. There is no comparison between the two.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by unit213
Yeah...but it's a good IRS. There is no comparison between the two.
Obviously you have one and would know about it more than I would, but my buddy back in Texas got one right when they came out and I remember the first drive he gave me............hitting the onramp to the freeway(270degree's, almost a complete circle) at what seemed like light speed with a little tire squeel. I was very impressed. I had to buy him new seats cause I left bite marks from my ***!!!!
Old 10-24-2005, 10:35 PM
Banned

he should be putting down around 450 if he has it set up right...but i think you can hold him off
Old 10-24-2005, 10:44 PM
12 Second Club

You should be able to put a hurting on him.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:28 AM
11 Second Club

it will be close if he has a good pully just put a small shot like a 50 and you will spank him with my car and a 100 shot i smoked the **** out of a 03 cobra, his blower was port and polished(i guess it makes them more efficient, thats waht the kid said) and it was pullied

and the other day i raced a 04 cobra with every bolt on, pullied blower, and a 150shot!!! i was winning untill he hit the spray....then he walked me lol.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:38 AM
TECH Regular

go from 0 mph. I am yet to see a cobra make a good launch on the street.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by longdaddy
go from 0 mph. I am yet to see a cobra make a good launch on the street.
im with him, racing from a roll is giving him a better chance to hook, he is also making his power when rolling at higher rpm's and cobra's have a mean 3rd gear.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

He's got an 03' Cobra with just a shifter, SLP loudmouth cat-back, pulley (don't know the size) and I think maybe a tune.

I have a 00' C5 coupe with an M6. It has LS1 heads that have been port and polished with a valve job, a medium 228/228 cam, CAI, LS6 intake, shifter, Mcleod twin disc clutch, 3:90 gears, B&B cat-back, and soon will have LG longtube headers with no cats. I'm guessing around 400-420rwhp

He's a nice guy, but I think he's the only one around the base (I'm Air Force) who has a car who can come close to me. (oh I saw a viper today that might be new to the base.....nitrous is in my future )........anyway, should I even bother with **** talking a race out of him? Or should I just hang this one up?
sorry man I just don't get this.

If you want to race - RACE.

If you don't why ask?

Win or loose matters not. If you new the outcome before running it wouldn't be a RACE, just an enactment.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:00 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
sorry man I just don't get this.

If you want to race - RACE.

If you don't why ask?

Win or loose matters not. If you new the outcome before running it wouldn't be a RACE, just an enactment.
I see your point..............I don't agree with it, but I see it! He is a freind who I respect alot and I haven't yet asked him to race. We juswt bullshit about cars and enjoyt our passion for them. I just had some stuff done that (IMO) will put me in the realm of him! I have been wanting to race him (for the hell of it.....no reason)! It's fun to talk about the race and what areas are stong for my setup and weak for his setup. It'll give me a slight edge.

No one likes loosing................Do you?
Old 10-25-2005, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I see your point..............I don't agree with it, but I see it! He is a freind who I respect alot and I haven't yet asked him to race. We juswt bullshit about cars and enjoyt our passion for them. I just had some stuff done that (IMO) will put me in the realm of him! I have been wanting to race him (for the hell of it.....no reason)! It's fun to talk about the race and what areas are stong for my setup and weak for his setup. It'll give me a slight edge.

No one likes loosing................Do you?
If I'm beaten fairly I have no problems with it, and have done and will continue to race cars which are faster than mine. That's the fun of racing.

If everyone hated loosing then all race series would only have ONE person racing, that way they'd always be happy and never loose.

I see what you're saying, and I have no issues with bench racing or even just talking cars. But it wouldn't alter my want to race.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Obviously you have one and would know about it more than I would, but my buddy back in Texas got one right when they came out and I remember the first drive he gave me............hitting the onramp to the freeway(270degree's, almost a complete circle) at what seemed like light speed with a little tire squeel. I was very impressed. I had to buy him new seats cause I left bite marks from my ***!!!!
Cornering and launching are very different.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have anywhere close to 420 rwhp, you should be in the 11s which is more than a cobra with merely a shifter and exhaust in the hands of an average driver can handle, IMO.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:46 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That pullied cobra with exhaust should be close to the 11's if he can hook up...