Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

3 races with modified Lancer

Old 11-14-2005, 01:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 races with modified Lancer

I had three awesome races tonight with a modified Lancer.

I think he said he had cams, full exhaust, and an add on computer (maybe same thing as tuning?). His car was blue with a carbon fiber hood and black wheels (looked pretty nice).

I have an air lid and a cut out. My car is a six speed '01 Z28.

All races were rolling starts from about 20-25 mph. We each had a passenger.

First race: Three honks and we're off. I think he got a slight jump on me (I waited a split second after the third honk). He quickly pulled ahead about one car. He pulled another half or full car by the time I was midway through third. I had to let off at that point because the road was merging ahead.

Second race: We both took off at the same time. It was very close with me slowly pulling about a car near the top of third (didn't take it to fourth because I don't like the idea of going upwards of 100mph in a dark back road)

Third race: I'm pretty sure I got an unfair jump in this one. It was unintentional (more nerves than anything else). I honked kind of fast and slammed the pedal at the same time I was doing the third honk. I jumped ahead about one car and pulled about one car up in third.

We complimented him on how fast his car was, awesome races, etc.
He wanted to go again but I was getting kind of worried about the popo showing up so we told him we had to go. He seemed like a pretty cool guy, no trash talking, ricer tactics, excuses, etc. Props to him.

So I lost the first race, won the second and the third was probably a no decision. All of these were so close though. By far the best races I've had since owning my Camaro.

Seeing as how even the roll races were I'm sure I'd get my *** handed to me if we went from a dead stop. But on the flip side I think I could have pulled a little more if we went into fourth. I was extremely impressed with his car and did not expect him to hang in the roll races at all (this was before I found out his mods). I have no idea how much power he's making and I wish I asked (doh). He seemed surprised by my mods. He also told us that he had just beat another Camaro on the freeway minutes earlier (who knows what year/mods/trans though).

P.S. He flipped a U and about a minute later I flipped a U. Another minute after that a freakin cop came driving by us on the same road! Wow, talk about a close call. It's a good thing I listened to my gut feelings. I don't think I'll be racing on the street again any time soon.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:22 AM
TECH Regular

Nice runs...Your car must be pretty strong. If hes running cams, turboback exhaust and a reflash he could be close to 340+ hp. I have the same mods, but i have a lighweight flywheel, and valvesprings/retainers which allow 8K redline and i have no problem hanging with/beating SS's and WS6's from a roll. I can hang with our Z06 through 4th or 120 mph before it starts to pull away. I just had an SS encounter yesterday and he couldnt catch me or gain before letting off an 140mph.

The power he makes really depends on the cams he's running and the shop thats tuning the car...either way sounded like fun.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:56 AM
Teching In

nice kill.....sorry, i didn't catch what mods are done to your z? and what trans?
Old 11-14-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

he said he had lid, cutout, M6. good kill and loss. I really wanna go test drive an EVO sometime soon, would be a nice, fast grocery getter.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The wife drives a Z06 and the hubby's riding an Evo?? That just seems odd but both very nice cars.

And great kill 01whitez28, even stock those Evos are pretty quick.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

^ Yes she does and I dont mind one bit By next summer she'll be looking at my taillights from a dig or a roll
Old 11-15-2005, 10:06 AM
Teching In

wife drives a Z06 and the husband drives a Evo and claims its a V8 eater yet all I hear out of this guy is how much better his Evo is so much better than everyone elses ride. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you see the tail lights of the Z06 at any given speed ? Hmmm....something is fishy here
Old 11-15-2005, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice races, i know quite a few guys with evos and I went with them for an awd dyno day and one cammed evo (not sure what cams), turboback, ecu flash, and waste gate actuator put down 330 awhp (dont remeber the torque) so the guy you raced def had a fast evo. As for quick z06, I dont think he thinks his evo is unbeatable or better than everyone elses car as none of his posts seem to project that attitude, and do you have any idea what he has done to it as I have no clue and havent seen him post his mods so it def could be quicker/faster than the z06. Evos are quite easy to mod and have a fully forged engine that can take quite a large amount of boost so if hes got the right mods and tune he could def hng with a z06. Plus he said that he can hang until 120mph, which is probably where the awd really slows his evo down as awd actually hurts a car at higher speeds.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just want to clarify....... are you talking about a regular Lancer or a Evo?

I know of guys in my area that started to mod the base line Laners thinking they were never going to see the Evo stateside.....only reason Im asking.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:52 PM
Launching!

I raced 1 black EVO it must have been stock....beat him by 3-4 bus lengths from a 2nd gear to half way threw 3rd......Quik Z06 I can not believe you drive the evo and the wife has the Z06
Old 11-16-2005, 12:03 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks 99Z28Mass for the back up...First off Slow LS1, I dont think my Evo is better than anyone elses car. And here is the correction you wanted. My Evo can and has pulled on our Z06, from a roll and from a dig. I have beat it 1/4 mile by a few cars. After a 1/4 mile the Z06 pulls away, but that is top of 4th or as mentioned 120 mph. Believe me the car doesnt slow down after that, Ive had it to 165 and still pulling. Also the V8 Eater thing, well thats my license plate "8YOURV8" Obviously its not gonna beat all of them, but I have beat a majority of the ones I have raced.

99FRC...Whats so hard to believe? Its a car big deal, I happen to like having room, I hate 2 seater cars. Not to mention trunk space and awd. If your making 398whp even if the Evo you raced was modded (unless turbo upgrade) how do expect him to have a shot? There arent too many modded Evo's around here, most have a catback and thats it.

I have posted my mods on other threads, but I do have a TBE, Cams, and tune to name a few things. On our crappy 91 it probably makes 340-350hp.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Yea fuel octane is huge with making HP with evo's. In mass we have 93 and race gas (100+ octane at some stations) all over the place so my buddy can up his boost and run some race gas if he is goin to the track. Hes has got some shitty 93 octane before and the thing will ping like a bitch and run like crap. Since we see tons of snow I was really considering an evo, to the point where I was at a dealership ready to sign the papers for an brand new MR, but I had just finished paying off my z28 and my navigator and didnt feel like anymore payments but I def want to get on in the future as they are so much fun to drive and mod. If you havent taken one for a test drive I highly suggest it as its an enlightning experience. Sure in a stock evo the top end isnt enough to hang with an LSx powered vehicle but trust me after a few 3K rpm clutch drops from a dead stop you will appreciate the instant tranction as you get throw back in your seat by the awd. Def a fun car to drive.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

I bet the Z06 is even more fun to drive 98Z, try spending some time in one of those and I think you will find it an even more enlightening experience. And "Quick Z06" about your wife seeing your tailights in the future... Well that's a given if you are going to continue to mod while she stays stock, but if she decides to step into the game, you'd be fighting a losing battle
Old 11-16-2005, 08:53 PM
TECH Regular

^ Yeah of course...Lol, thats why I tell her its fast enough Lol, seriously though we thought about supercharging it, but if I went with a GT35R in the Evo the Evo would still beat it Most likely we'll add an intake, and a P&P Head and mild cam with the other basic bolts ons here soon.

Its all preference though, I have more fun driving the Evo than I do the Z06. I guess it has to do with the fact that people already know the Z06 is gonna be fast, and with the Evo you really dont know what your getting into. SOme people still ask all the time what kind of car it is.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Resident

Whats a GT35R? All I know is I'd think it would take a LOT of total mod $$ in an evo to beat a supercharged Z06. Obviously it depends on which particluar supercharger, what supporting mods, the tune etc etc.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

A GT35R is a huge turbo On an Evo or any car for that matter a GT35R is capable of making well over 600 whp. Im sure you've seen the vid of the AMS Evo running the SC'd Vette and beating it. Also there is the vid of the SC'd Viper running the Evo and the Evo pulling on it with 4 people in the car If you havent seen the vids check out Streetfire. Anyways I do plan on a GT30 which will be about $2500 including injectors and fuel pump along with lines etc..That would put me at about $5K in total power mods, which is about what a SC costs for the Vette. A GT30 should get me at least 400+whp. id say the car could run high 10's to very low 11's.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:25 AM
TECH Resident

I still say mod for mod the Evo loses out Most S/C Z06's will see around 500-550rwhp which should kill a 400whp evo, all but off the line. (around the same mod money as your example above)

As far as the GT35R, I can't imagine the rest of the Evo holding up that well to that kind of power. I'd imagine when all is said and done it's a lot of money to get the car properly setup
Old 11-17-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KB99WS6
I bet the Z06 is even more fun to drive 98Z, try spending some time in one of those and I think you will find it an even more enlightening experience. And "Quick Z06" about your wife seeing your tailights in the future... Well that's a given if you are going to continue to mod while she stays stock, but if she decides to step into the game, you'd be fighting a losing battle
Oh I def have driven a Z06, and by all means id take a z06 over an evo, im just saying its a fun car to drive. I was just saying that people who bash the evo should take one for a drive as it is really a fun car. Doesnt have the speed of an f-body, c5 or Z06 stock but it handles really well and the awd launches are a blast. I enjoyed driving it because im so used to having zero traction, although that can be correct by a 12-bolt and some DR's, but for now I have to stick with the stock 10-bolt and street tires. and yea a few more mods to the z06 and its gonna be tough to catch, but it must be fun to have both to trty it and find out lol.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Theres an Evo down the street fro mme that just put down 462hp with race gas. He's only running a GT30R. It should hit mid-low 11's easy.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah but I just can't get past the fact it's still an EVO. They sound like a pissed off bumble bee in a tin can at WOT Style has to factor into this somewhere. Not personal taste mind you, but style. Oh yeah and that V-8 rumble. Can't forget that. Don't get me wrong props to anything fast,. But it's a .................................

Search this Thread