Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default racing

hey everyone bare with me because im new to the street racing scene and all i was just wondering whats the best way to race an automatic from a dig and from a roll...should i just go straight to mashing the peddle all the way in or ease in or what not??

all answers are greatly appriciated
Old 11-24-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

With a stock stall I'd half throttle off the line till around second gear then mash into it on the first to second shift (30ish) from a dig. The roll race with an auto is tricky because you really only have certain points where you will be in the right power band for a downshift. Usually between 20-30mph is a good spot to mash into it and between 60 and 70 seems to a be half decent. It really depends on the gearing you got with the car and other junk but those are pretty close to the right areas. Watch out for those 40mph-50mph punches those are a dead zone in a stock auto. I think there might be some threads on this somewhere on here, I remember a few years back there were. Might try doing a search for them the mods might chime in and let you know if they're still back there somewhere. Good luck to ya.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Then again ***** to the wall from a dig is always seems to work to if you can keep traction and keep it in a straight line.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

also is it bad for the tranny or the engine to mash the pedal... i know it can't be good for the car but sometimes i feel like it damages the car to do that...is it jus paranoya (sp) or does it hurt the car
Old 11-24-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Racing period will wear out parts. It puts undue stress on everthing especially valvetrain and transmission parts. If it bothers you I would invest in a shift kit, a tranny cooler, and a deeper tranny pan. Also make sure you keep good oil in there and change fluids as regularly as possible. Like for me I prefer to change even synthetic engine oil every 3k miles. Some people claim it's good for 5-6k miles but I don't trust that. Either way you're going to get some wear and tear on the powertrain but these ls1s and 4l60es are built to take some abuse, no worries right.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by King02SS
Racing period will wear out parts. It puts undue stress on everthing especially valvetrain and transmission parts. If it bothers you I would invest in a shift kit, a tranny cooler, and a deeper tranny pan. Also make sure you keep good oil in there and change fluids as regularly as possible. Like for me I prefer to change even synthetic engine oil every 3k miles. Some people claim it's good for 5-6k miles but I don't trust that. Either way you're going to get some wear and tear on the powertrain but these ls1s and 4l60es are built to take some abuse, no worries right.

lol mine is a 96 ws6 so its an LT1....i know what a tranny cooler and of course tranny pan are but whats a shift kit and what does it do

thanks for all the help man
Old 11-24-2005, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96ws6cam
lol mine is a 96 ws6 so its an LT1....i know what a tranny cooler and of course tranny pan are but whats a shift kit and what does it do

thanks for all the help man
LOL I wasn't even paying attention to your name. Either way the LT1s are extremely durable as well no worries. The shift kit firms up shifts and strengthens some weak points without having to rebuild the whole transmission. It's a great little mod for a stock, bolt on, or mildly modified car. It's just a little help if you're paranoid about stuff like me.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and also im surprised no one said this yet.....DONT GET CAUGHT!!!
Old 11-27-2005, 12:05 AM
Tech Resident

From a dig i've gotten my best results from holding the brake, the spooling the engine up to about 1300-1400 rpm (right before you break the tires loose) then when the light changes just drop the hammer and try to feather the throtle to contol your wheelspin... im no expert just sayin thats whats worked for me on the street.

yeah, not getting caught is a good thing... much better than the alternative
Old 11-27-2005, 07:22 AM
Teching In

Yea, what he said! Slam the pedal, and lift up, down, up, and down -as needed through first. This all depends on how much you spin, and more importantly: what all is done to your car? If you're mostly stock u should be able to mash on and off a lil (if needed) through 1st-and then stand on it as soon as it goes into 2nd...and you'll be fine with little-no spinning. As far as roll racing, dont bother - its kinda gay. Just go to a dragstrip and practice until you learn whatever technique gives you the lowest 60ft. and overall e.t., and you'll know what works best. Have fun.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From a dig I always just gave it as much gas as i could without spinning the tires for the first 5 feet and then i floored it. After that, I just simply left my foot on it. PS. doing this with a 4L60E with the perform button on will cause the tranny to "bounce" between 3rd and OD when SLOWLY accelerating on a hot day after beating on it.(at least it did in my 95 TA). At any rate, your LT1 if cared for should handle it just fine, as should the tranny. Weakest part of thsoe cars is the rear end and a stock WS6 Auto LT1 is not gonna kill it unless you do neutral drops (DO NOT DO THIS!!!). Anywho, the above launch technique allowed me to beat an A4 LS1 0-50 once (only ran one LS1 from a dig). If you MUST go from a roll. Go from 20-25 mph or 55-65mph. Between those 2 YOU WILL GET YOUR *** KICKED by anything that is a stick and NEAR your hp/weight.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

would putting it in low and shifting to high and then to drive work better than leaving it in drive and jamming the gas?
Old 11-28-2005, 01:16 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DO NOT MANUALLY SHIFT AN ELECTRONIC TRANSMISSION UNLESS YOU LIKE DOING RE-BUILDS EVERY 10K MILES!!!

THe line pressure is too low for a clean shift and when you shift the lever before the ECU says to shift (aka, builds line pressure) you are being REALLY rough on the system as line pressure must build up almost instantly and while i dont understnad the mechanics of it...it just dont work right from what i have heard.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:06 AM
TECH Resident

theres no point in staying in low because your tranny is going to start out in first anyway just let the tranny do its thing you dont have a manual so dont try to treat it like one
Old 11-28-2005, 06:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 96ws6cam
hey everyone bare with me because im new to the street racing scene and all i was just wondering whats the best way to race an automatic from a dig and from a roll...should i just go straight to mashing the peddle all the way in or ease in or what not??

all answers are greatly appriciated
not wanting to sound mean, but have you ever heard of driver training?? If you can't figure it out for yourself then get some professiosnal help.

THERE IS NO ONE WAY TO DRIVE THEM. As conditions at the time, temp, humidity, surface, grip levels, wet or dry, tyres you are on will all have a MAJOR impact in how your car gets off the line.

As a dirver you need to be able to recognise the conditions and be able to react to them accordingly.