Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Who will win 99 H/C Trans AM vs 99 Eclipse GSX

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who will win 99 H/C Trans AM vs 99 Eclipse GSX

Alright here is the situation. I have a guy thinking his Eclipse GSX (AWD) is the fastest car around for some reason and thinks my T/A has no chance. My mods are in the sig.

I have no clue what kind of power this guy is putting down but think I should be able to get him. From my knowledge his mods are 99 GSX with PTE 50 trim turbo set at I have no clue boost probably around 20 or so. I dont think he even knows what race gas is... so prolly not higher. Big fmic, injectors, afc, bov, turbo-back exhaust, fuel pump, on stock bottem end. That's all I'm sure he has more. I ran a 7.9 @ 91 MPH w/1.85 60ft so I figure he has no chance but I dont know. It will be a money race so just trying to see what I need to do.... I will be throwing Nitto's on and doing a burnout in some VHT so I can try to outlaunch him I have the chance to get ahold of some spray if I need it for the race but didn't think I would...?
Old 11-25-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

With awd, he might get the hole shot, but honestly, w/your mods, and assuming you can drive fairly well, i don't think it will be much of a problem for you, as long as it's a 1/4mi race. What does your TSI run?
Old 11-25-2005, 06:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boostedrs
I ran a 7.9 @ 91 MPH w/1.85 60ft
you 1/8th looks good for high 11's low 12's?

any clue as to what he runs?
Old 11-25-2005, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

I actually have no idea what he runs, don't think he has ever been to the track because I go almost everytime it is open and have never seen his car there.

I only ran the Talon once and it was without half the mods and it had a bad 2nd gear that would grind like crazy. When I ran I had big 16g, turboback exhaust, ACT 2100, kybs, walboro 190, and 130,90,135,132 compression lol and it was completely untuned. That time I ran a 8.6 @ 80 MPH w/1.77 60ft.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

I've seen completely stock looking GSXs with fully-built motors putting down 600+hp to the wheels. The intercooler is the only thing that really tips you off in those cases. Usually the ones with body kits and wings are the slow ones. They can make awesome sleepers.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

Knew a guy with a 98 GSX that was a mid-9s car. Be cautious with him, those things are deadly quiet and then haul ***.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1FC3
I've seen completely stock looking GSXs with fully-built motors putting down 600+hp to the wheels. The intercooler is the only thing that really tips you off in those cases. Usually the ones with body kits and wings are the slow ones. They can make awesome sleepers.
Oh yah I definately know that. My Talon looks dead stock besides some 2g GS-T wheels. It should be a high 12's or so car now w/race gas due to me not running a sufficient intercooler. Which is definately pretty sleeper for what it is.

Might be time for me to juice a 150 wet to the T/A to insure I take the victory on this one you all are scaring me now lol.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

With your mods Id say you'd beat him, but without really knowing all his mods you never know.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

when i had heads/cam i raced my buddy with a 20g turbo( I think its equivalent to a 50trim)

out of the hole he took me(1st gen awd) and it took me to about 90 or so to pass him(i flew by him though)

if you race, race to over 100 for the win, otherwise it will be hard to keep up unless your dead hooking.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:04 PM
Launching!

The thing is that a 50 trim can mean quite a lot of different WHP numbers. Plenty of 50 trims are at about 300 WHP with the mods listed. Plenty are near 400 with the mods listed its all in tuning, timing, and just exactly how well designed the system is. However, if this guy is as ignorant as he is acting, then you have likely got him with your near 400 WHP. The thing is, who the heck has the mods he has and doesnt know about race gas in the DSM world? Thats about like not knowing what a 16G is in the DSM world. So I think he might be acting like a moron to bait you. If he is at 400 WHP your likely going to lose.

But if you throw the shot on top of what you already have, you'll most likely take him no matter what. Could be a good race
Old 11-25-2005, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2000 Tran Zam
when i had heads/cam i raced my buddy with a 20g turbo( I think its equivalent to a 50trim)

out of the hole he took me(1st gen awd) and it took me to about 90 or so to pass him(i flew by him though)

if you race, race to over 100 for the win, otherwise it will be hard to keep up unless your dead hooking.
The 20G is pretty much the difinitive old school DSM big turbo. The 50 Trim is overall a better turbo IMHO. They are not really equivalent. The 20G will bolt right on more or less without too much trouble, running a full garret will require a custom manifold and wastegate setup unless you want ot pay the extra for a internal gate garret.

You want a great all around turbo that can really pack a punch at the strip, the FP Green is badass.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

You've got a dsm so you should be able atleat have an idea of what he might be putting down. I know a few guys that sndbag by acting like idiots not knowing what their car has when there car is actually fully built. use your best judgement and if it's for fun who cares. go out and give it your all.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

My friend has a 90 GSX with a PTE 55 trim, big fmic, 9xxCC (I know its in the 900's just dont remember if its a 900 or 950CC) injectors, he socketed his ecu and burns his own chips, and the fairly classic grinding 2nd gear. He's ran a best of 12.3@111mph on 29psi on race gas with a 1.7 60ft. The DA that day was >7000ft. He runs ~20psi on the street and has pulled off a 13.1@104 mph on the same day he ran a 12.3. Bare in mind the 95+ motors have .6 more compression.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

With a stock bottom end is that motor really gonna hold up to 400hp? With the spray you will definitely take him, but if you make sure to race to over a 100 then you should be ok.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sparetire
The 20G is pretty much the difinitive old school DSM big turbo. The 50 Trim is overall a better turbo IMHO. They are not really equivalent. The 20G will bolt right on more or less without too much trouble, running a full garret will require a custom manifold and wastegate setup unless you want ot pay the extra for a internal gate garret.

You want a great all around turbo that can really pack a punch at the strip, the FP Green is badass.
fpgreen is badass...my friend just through that in his 99 gsx with supporting mods and ran 11.5 on stock bottom end.

Originally Posted by GhettoTy
With a stock bottom end is that motor really gonna hold up to 400hp? With the spray you will definitely take him, but if you make sure to race to over a 100 then you should be ok.
it will last if it has really good tuning...but it won't last for 100k.

I think this guy is playing dumb..no body mods a dsm like that..and then talks **** unless they are ******* with you(specially racing for money) or they're parents are rich and pay for everything.

also...the whole thing with these cars is being able to drive..if you can't launch the awd..he'll probably loose from bogging down and falling out of the powerband.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by slowmofo
you 1/8th looks good for high 11's low 12's?

any clue as to what he runs?
your 1/8s is a little low for that mph . you should be a little lower with that mph 92 mph with a good driver can get 7.40s to 7.50s if you get the 60 down to 1.6s area.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sparetire
The thing is that a 50 trim can mean quite a lot of different WHP numbers. Plenty of 50 trims are at about 300 WHP with the mods listed. Plenty are near 400 with the mods listed its all in tuning, timing, and just exactly how well designed the system is. However, if this guy is as ignorant as he is acting, then you have likely got him with your near 400 WHP. The thing is, who the heck has the mods he has and doesnt know about race gas in the DSM world? Thats about like not knowing what a 16G is in the DSM world. So I think he might be acting like a moron to bait you. If he is at 400 WHP your likely going to lose.

But if you throw the shot on top of what you already have, you'll most likely take him no matter what. Could be a good race
He bought the car already built so that's why he doesn't know much. The guy before him I know set the boost at 13 psi so he didn't blow it up cause he is an idiot. I'm sure he has figured out how to crank it up but wouldn't have the brains to go pump some race gas in it and crank it up real high.

I'm sure the guy has a stock bottom end so I'm not thinking it is crackin 400awhp. He is also running on the 7-bolt motor for sure. I know the turbo he has on there is good for alot of power because that's what I'm putting on my Talon pretty soon and was expecting around a mid 12 or so. So I guess it should be a decent race but if I hook it should be over.

Last edited by boostedrs; 11-26-2005 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:17 PM
Teching In

I'm gonna have to say the DSM will beat u if its running upwards of 18psi on the street Its gonna be hard for u to hook up even with the nitto's. Awd absolutly owns on the street. A 50trim has proved it self to be the best pump gas turbo for the 4g63 so be careful if this guy has any knowledge about dsm's and has his car tuned right I did think it'd be a really close race maybe possibly with him on top.

Goodluck
Old 11-26-2005, 07:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck,i think you should be able to take him(IMO)

I run the 1/8th mile around the same E/T as you,but i do it about 5 mph less than you. My car is all about the hole shot,1.61 on Nitto's rollin into it.
I have put the hurt on a few AWD turbo DSM's even without the spray.

On spray i have put down a 7.2 @ 93 1/8th,and that is almost quick enough to put a hurt on all but the fastest DSM's around my area.

I say go line up and let us know how things turn out.

Good luck.

Dave
Old 11-26-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

put the T/A on the bottle and you should have him.....assuming you can drive