Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

1st race since I got my Vette back!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 11:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1st race since I got my Vette back!

I was cruising up to a buddies house to have him check out the feel of my new mcleod twin disc clutch. It feels very stiff and the engagment point is at the top of the pedal. Anyway, I'm cruising in mild traffic and in the fast lane on the a 2 lane highway, and as I'm coming up on cars they move over for me (I love it when that happens). Then as one car is changing lanes out of my way he reveals a white 95-98 Mustang GT. Very nice looking I might add. It was lowered with Cobra R wheels and had exaust from what I could see. I couldn't hear **** over my car, its very loud cruising around and it don't even have headers yet. So the mustang moves over like everyone else did and I drove on by. Then he pops up behind me and speeds up to my ***. I hate people on my ***. I continue to drive normal and get this car in front of me who won't move to the slow lane. I stay behind him due to traffic in the slow lane not allowing me to pass. As we gradually pass the car in the slow lane the Mustang drops gears and zooms by me in the slow lane to pass the line of cars I was behind. He had to slow down because traffic closed the gap he was looking for, or he might have been trying to instigate me. Anyway, the line of cars I was in passed him, but when I got next to him I slowed down. He also slowed down allowing the traffic to gain a football feild or two lead. Then I down shifted into 2nd at about 60mph or so ( I wish I could of heard that from the outside ). As I stabbed the throttle a couple times to get him to jump, he jumped and I floored it. He jumps 1/4 to 1/2 a car max. I reel him in very quickly barking my 2-3 shift hard, I even barked my 3-4 shift (that was a first for me, must be the new clutch grabbing hard ). Well I have about 4 cars on him by 110mph where I shut down. He comes up next to me and I roll down my passanger window. We exchange thumbs ups and he drops back behind the car that was behind me and goes about his day.

I have a H/C C5 with a 6spd. CAI, exaust, 3:90 gears and all the bolt ons, minus headers which are lying on my garage floor as I type. I know those year Mustangs are very weak, but I had to do it. Nice guy none the less!
Old 11-26-2005, 11:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

good kill
Old 11-27-2005, 12:26 AM
Tech Resident

nice kill, i wish the stang guys around here were that cool... i'd never get a thumbs-up in a million years!
Old 11-27-2005, 12:29 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteKnightZ28
nice kill, i wish the stang guys around here were that cool... i'd never get a thumbs-up in a million years!
Yeah........that was the first cool guy I have raced around here. When I was in texas there was a bunch of good people rolling around. You always got a thumbs up, sometimes I'd get a thumbs up from a little kid who liked the car or an old guy who was sitting next to me at a light. I never get that here in Washington.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:00 AM
Banned

good kill . lol im guessing you didnt break that clutch in . well its broke in now
Old 11-27-2005, 09:29 AM
Launching!

good kill..........but so anything bad about mustangs........or you will never hear the end of it.........
Old 11-27-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Carefull with the clutch it's really hard on the syncros and the diffs on the vettes.

good kill.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Juiced
Carefull with the clutch it's really hard on the syncros and the diffs on the vettes.

good kill.

I plan on drag racing with this clutch? Is my tranny going to be okay? I have a strong rear end, so I'm not too worried about it. I just had a stage III rear differential installed.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

is it the dte stage 3 both hardened shaft,pinion support and tranny brace?

Don't powershift the tranny or you will destroy the syncros!

the clutch has alot of rotating mass because of the two large disks, it really makes the syncro's work to slow the tranny.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nice kill
Old 11-27-2005, 12:57 PM
10 Second Club

is it the dte stage 3 both hardened shaft,pinion support and tranny brace?

Don't powershift the tranny or you will destroy the syncros!

the clutch has alot of rotating mass because of the two large disks, it really makes the syncro's work to slow the tranny.
Yes.......that is the differential I have. I had 3:90 gears put in it when I ordered it.

About the tranny! What can I do to save my tranny? What about the DTE strut brace?

I bought this clutch so I could handle high rpm clutch dumps and not bog! You got me worried now.......
Old 11-27-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

ummm don't even try it!!!!

DTE has a tranny brace that will save your rear end.

IF you were to do a high rpm clutch dump on slick wou would hook but the diff would flex so bad because of the torque yo would actually snap the output shaft of the tranny and grenade your diff. (i've seen it done) it actually torques upwards and snaps the shaft.

you want the clutch to slp a little to take some of the shock oft the tranny.

Remember that clutch was designed for f-body's with solid axels not Vette's with glass drivetrain internals.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:10 PM
10 Second Club

ummm don't even try it!!!!

DTE has a tranny brace that will save your rear end.

IF you were to do a high rpm clutch dump on slick wou would hook but the diff would flex so bad because of the torque yo would actually snap the output shaft of the tranny and grenade your diff. (i've seen it done) it actually torques upwards and snaps the shaft.

you want the clutch to slp a little to take some of the shock oft the tranny.

Remember that clutch was designed for f-body's with solid axels not Vette's with glass drivetrain internals.
Well I guess this is my next purchase..........I'll look into it when I can afford it! Race season is still months away!
Old 11-27-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

good kill cant wait till I get my vette back.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by santiago
good kill cant wait till I get my vette back.
With that cam and those heads you should have some nice numbers. Where is your car?
Old 11-27-2005, 08:35 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome kill. And yes, us stang people DO give thumbs up (well, those of us who are not dicks)
Old 11-27-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mustang guys are alright for the most part. The way I figure it MOST stang owners aren't enthusiats, because well... the stang is the slowest V8 muscle car and it's much more trendy than it is fast. Thats not to say there arent fast mustangs out there. But your typical layman might interpret a thumbs up as a taunt. Maybe thats why you guys get the finger back so often.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice Kill!!! IMO - fellow racers should always give thumbs up no matter what. Nice cars are nice cars no matter if GM or Ford or any other. It's only when people let emotions override sense that makes it a pain.

Nothing feels better than the Adreneline from a good, illegal street race. Call me a junkie.