Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

93 saturn vrs 03 brickyard red 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 12:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 saturn vrs 03 brickyard red 350Z

Well I was out picking up my kids from scool in my DD the 93 saturn..

I was at a stop light and noticed that there was a beautiful brick yard red 350Z behind me by a couple cars....

I love how that car looks in that color....BEAUTIFUL...

The light turns green and I proceed as normal...

The road ahead turns into a 4 way lane...Suddenly I hear the soft yet beautiful V6 purr as it changes gears and VERY AGREESIVLY works it's way through traffic...

Now it's behind me and attempting to do one of those tight queezes that I see lots of the import guys do....

YOU KNOW..THE ONE WERE THERES A CAR IN THE LANE TO THE RIGHT OF YOU AND JUST BARELY ENOUGH ROOM FOR THEM TO GO BEHIND THE CAR TO THE RIGHT OF YOU AND CUT YOU OFF IN ORDER TO GET TO OPEN ROAD...

Well I dont know if I was just pissed off or just that hungry to race him...

But I saw him ready to cut me off and sped up to close the gap...( stupid move with my kids in the car)

To my amazement his car was so much more powerful that he still sliced in front of me....

I put the pedal to the medal and was about 2 cars behind him for a good 10-15 seconds ( I got up to about 80 mph) Then remembering that I had the kids in the car I shut down feeling pretty stupid and embarrassed for any one who had seen me do that with the kids...

The funny thing is that the Saturn with my 210 pounds and my 4 kids ranging from 40-100 pounds WAS SO SLOW THAT I DONT THINK ANYONE KNEW I WAS RACING HIM....

INCLUDING HIM...

At my track stock 350Z's can run around 14.6....My saturn with us in it probaly runs around 17.5....

I think he was just slowly cruising up to 80 and didnt even know I was there...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.......

In the Vette I laugh at 350z's at the track...

I ran mid 13's bone stock....They barly run 14.6 bone stock...Usualy a 14.7 is considered a good run for one at my track...

So Ive got a solid 1.1 seconds over them stock for stock...

It would take a 7 pound supercharger or 7 pound turbo just to get them running my times when I was stock.....And a lot more than that to match my modified times...

IN SHORT I THINK THERE BEAUTIFUL BUT HAVE NO RESPECT FOR THEM POWER WISE.....

THESE ARE THE WORDS SPOKEN FROM A LS1 VETTE OWNER....

But today the Vette was sleeping and the Saturn was playing....

From a Saturn owners point of view the 350Z is freaken sick man....
It walked me with out even trying.

I now SERIOUSLY know why so many of the civic guys and other 4 cylinder import guys give the 350 Z so much credit...

I would imagine that my saturn is close to the same performance level as Honda civics and other comparable cars...

The 350Z is a GOD compared to my 4 cylinder...

Most imports run 15.5-17.0 in the 1/4 mile..The 350Z is capable of low 14's...Thats a huge differance...

IM SO HAPPY I HAD THIS EXPERIENCE TODAY AND NOW KNOW HOW IT FEELS TO BE A 4 CYLINDER HAVING RICER. IT SUCKS. I UNDERSTAND NOW WHY THEY MAKE SO MANY EXCUSES...

THERE DOOMED BEFORE THE RACE EVEN BEGINS...

Anyways.. It was just such a weird experience....Getting owned by a car that you think is slow...Only to find out that by a solid 85% of the people on the road...ITS ACTUALLY QUITE FAST.

Well it was interesting to say the leaste...hopefully next time Ill have the C5 when he wants to play.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

That was a very long story/rant about the 350z. I laughed, I cried and I feel asleep. The 350z has seen some high 13s bone stock in my area and if you look on some of the 350z forums they have time slips of bone stock 350s running 13.7. All in all they are much stronger from a roll than from a stop in my experience.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Long story, but I hear ya. It's the same thing with the mustangs. Actually a pretty damn quick car compared to most. F- body's are faster, generally, and there are cars out there that can stomp them.
Always seems to be bigger fish.....
Old 11-29-2005, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Yea but how often do you honestly see a car that can stomp a LS1/LS6...

The Cobra can somp an LS1 but you see one like once a week....

If your an LS6 then the only car you have to worry about is Dodge Vipers and above...And how often do you see those cars....

When you drive an LSx car your immediatly mid 13's or better at the sea level standard the USA goes buy...

Even the slowest 98 a4 2.73 camaro that dynoed 282 rwhp is capable of 13.5 at sea level in great weather...

13.5 (even by todays standards) will still hurt 90% of what you'll see on the roads feelings..

Yea there will always be a bigger fish...But stock for stock the LSx is a decent size shark when bone stock.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

Cobras can do a number on the LS6's as well.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:59 AM
On The Tree

No no no.....I cant beleave that was even just posted..

A stock 03 cobra will get spanked by a stock 03 Z06 at the same track with equal drivers...

Most stock cobras do around 12.9 at 110 mph....( go to a mustang forum and you'll see)

The faster ones can do 12.6 at 112

Most Zo6's do around 12.6 at 113 ( go to a corvette forum and you'll see)

The faster ones do 12.3 at 116 ( some have even done 11.9 bone stock on stock tires)

The Z06 is the faster car and with everything being equal will win..

Now if you were talking about a modified cobra....Thats different a pully and X pipe will have the cobra killing the Z06......

But comparing a modified car to a stock car is just gay......
Old 11-30-2005, 04:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

For a fact there's not a lot of cars that can put down an LS-1. But it has happened upon occasion. By the way. If I had the buck's you can bet I'd have an LS-6 in my ride. NOW WERE TALKIN!
Old 11-30-2005, 10:27 AM
Launching!

Not all 4 cylinders are like your saturn. My 240SX was actually pretty quick, would smoke a saturn just as easily as that Z would. Saturns are slow 4 cylinders, those Ecotec engines are weak and severely rev limited (like 2k before redline I beleive).
Old 12-04-2005, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2.73 Vette
Yea but how often do you honestly see a car that can stomp a LS1/LS6...

The Cobra can somp an LS1 but you see one like once a week....

If your an LS6 then the only car you have to worry about is Dodge Vipers and above...And how often do you see those cars....

When you drive an LSx car your immediatly mid 13's or better at the sea level standard the USA goes buy...

Even the slowest 98 a4 2.73 camaro that dynoed 282 rwhp is capable of 13.5 at sea level in great weather...

13.5 (even by todays standards) will still hurt 90% of what you'll see on the roads feelings..

Yea there will always be a bigger fish...But stock for stock the LSx is a decent size shark when bone stock.
I don't know about your times. It may just be some crazy elevation your at or something. I work at a mustang shop and I have people with cobra's who are running 12.7 1/4's on Drag Radial tires like Nitto's or something. All I have on the 350 is a Intake and I ran a 13.8@102 mph.