Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

i know almost nothing about imports! ...help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default i know almost nothing about imports! ...help!

Ok, so my friend has a 97 integra GSR and he just bought a turbo kit for it. He said hes going to be pushing 8psi with it. Hes getting all over me cuz he said that hes gonna be able to whip my *** and still get better mileage out of his car. I tried to tell him that those motors are weak when it comes to reliability when you add power adders to them and that at the end of the day i have ttops! but he just wont listen to reason... i dont know a lot about these kind of cars, but i did hear that they loose a lot of their reliability when you turbo them. So, with all that said... is this guy gonna be able to take me with that turbo? Im a stock 99 SS M6, he has a 97 GSR M5... so whos gonna win? dont sugar coat it for me... i need to know if i should bring my girlfriend to the race or not! Thanks
Old 12-08-2005, 01:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I saw an integra with a gsr motor at the track that was running 12.5 psi in his gutted out car. He ran a 12.5 @ 119. He upped the boost for the next run and blew his motor at the line. That's just an example, I'd get some tires if I were you but watch your rear.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hate to say it but don't bring your gf lol if he can drive half way descent he'll have the advantage especially up top once he starts building boost but this is assuming he can drive and his setup is tested and ready.As far as reliability it's like any other car it can be hit or miss but we all know honda's are reliable as much as we hate to admit it and i've seen some serious boosted honda's on stock internals/tranny last and get driven hard in the process.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

dude i wouldn't worry at all about that. with such a low boost it will hardly make any difference. Btw you should get better highway mileage now than he does, and definetly once he gets a turbo.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Teching In

8psi is not pushing it too hard on the gsr block. When I had a Type R a ran water injection and had around 7.5psi. The engine was impressive. It's all on the tune. Should be a close one for a 1/4 but I would side with you as long as you launch well.

He will get better gas mileage if he lets off the boost some.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8psi is good for what 75 hp on that car? If so, I think you'll be fine....
Old 12-08-2005, 03:36 PM
Launching!

Dude don't even waste your time, when my 98 a4 was stock I killed those gsr even with those b.s turbos no problem. Race for slips so when you beat him you can trade his car in, and start getting some parts for your car!!
Old 12-08-2005, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

watch his topend, race from a dig.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

its all about the driver.....if its tuned right he'll be putting down close to 220-250whp in a car that weighs around 800lbs less than you...so he'll probaby have a better hp/lb then you.

also a comment that 8psi isn't much....8psi isn't the amount of air..just the amount of preassure inside the manifold....for example..the buggati veryon only runs 16lbs of boost, but has 1000hp.

and if you don't know anything about imports...why are you trying to act like you do(i.e. saying that their reliability goes with fi) Those motors are strong..its usually idoits who up the boost and don't compensate fuela nd run lean and kill the car...thats not the engines reliability..just some moron.

Originally Posted by HorsePowerKing
watch his topend, race from a dig.
exactly..racing a boosted fwd car with skinny front tires won't be able to get a good launch..unless he is running drag radials, but i doubt that. from a roll..he should take you.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Launching!

What kit?

If he is using some tiny T-25 or something he will be at maybe 230 whp and less torque. I would guess about 240 at the wheels. Some guys do make a lot more than that on that boost, but it varies. Does he have an intercooler? Does he have the fuel for that? 8 psi would be pushing the stock fuel system quite a bit at the top of 3rd.

What altatude are you at?

Seriously, this could go any which way. If your at 5000 feet, then he will likely take you. If your at sea level, then you still have a big big power advantage. Your likely at about 280-290 stock (not that you dont know that already)

Basicly, I would be careful , but I would bet on you at low altatude and him at high altatude.

Then again, stupid kids who brag about fuel mileage and how bad the domestics supposedly are in that area generally dont know jack. If this kid is not tuned properly in terms of fuel and boost then he might be either a really fast bomb or a really expensive dog. I would be game at a strip against a cocky kid like that even if my 1G DSM were stock. And you car would kill my DSM.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Banned

Run him from a dig, from a dig you should take him, DO NOT DO A ROLL RACE WITH THIS GUY!
Old 12-08-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Regular

Im not sure what 8psi does on those cars. But I have raced two non-factory turboed imports here in Concord and i took both of them with out much trouble. One was some light blue i dont know and the other i think was a grey CRX or something like that. I think they where running some decent boost because i could hear it over my open cut-out. The light blue car we raced from a dig and i didnt even launch and pulled about a car and a half by 80mph when we had to let off. This was on Treat blvd. The other car i raced on Clayton and we went from a roll about 45mph-90mph and i took him by two and a half-three car lengths. But I do have drag radials and some mods. So it could end up a close race for you. Im not really sure. I would guess that I have about 25-30rwhp more than you do. So the blue one i raced would have probably be a really close race for you. If you go from a dig and launch right you can probably take the one your talking about. What you need to do is get yourself some more mods so there isnt even a question as to win or lose against them. Go grab you a lid, filter and cutout really quick and slap those on. That should pretty much seal a victory for you I THINK.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
8psi is good for what 75 hp on that car? If so, I think you'll be fine....
depends what turbo he's running and how good of tune
Old 12-08-2005, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Here is his engine:
B18C1 1.8 16V DOHC VTEC PGM-FI 1797 170hp@7600rpm 128tq@6200rpm '94-'01 Integra GS-R

8psi alone isn't gonna do it for him. Find out what else he has and how stripped out his car is. Assuming he has some other decent mods he may be putting down ~230whp, but it's all up top, so like everyone says go from a dig. between being a honda(torqueless) and having some turbo lag that's your best chance.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
its all about the driver.....if its tuned right he'll be putting down close to 220-250whp in a car that weighs around 800lbs less than you...so he'll probaby have a better hp/lb then you.

also a comment that 8psi isn't much....8psi isn't the amount of air..just the amount of preassure inside the manifold....for example..the buggati veryon only runs 16lbs of boost, but has 1000hp.
and if you don't know anything about imports...why are you trying to act like you do(i.e. saying that their reliability goes with fi) Those motors are strong..its usually idoits who up the boost and don't compensate fuela nd run lean and kill the car...thats not the engines reliability..just some moron.

exactly..racing a boosted fwd car with skinny front tires won't be able to get a good launch..unless he is running drag radials, but i doubt that. from a roll..he should take you.

Yeah, the Bugatti might make 1,000 hp, but it is also a what? 16 cylinder with 4 turbo's????
Old 12-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Launching!

no way he can beat you.....
Old 12-08-2005, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

I think you will take him with slight ease. Back when my car was stocked I raced a turbo intergra and didnt have any problem. I believe he had around 8psi also. But as they are saying race form a dig, id even slap some money down but thats just me
Old 12-08-2005, 11:48 PM
TECH Resident

well i talked to the guy... we are gonna get it on video and the loser has to post the video on myspace... ya myspace! what!.... but yeah... i just said that i HEARD that the honda engines reliability goes down with FI, but i was told that by a guy that drove a turbo CRX.. he may or may not know what hes talking baout i donno. He just got the car recently, so its stock as a rock. no gutting or anything. and no intercooler. hes hooking it up himself so i dont think hes gonna upgrade the fuel system. hes pretty much just slapping a turbo on there and calling it a day. i dont even know if hes gonna race me before or after he tunes it... if he ever does. and by the way, im at pretty much sea level. So you guys think ive got this in the bag? ...maybe i should bring the little lady along then.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:55 PM
11 Second Club

You should be fine by what you are describing. Though I have to say this guy doesn't sound all that intelligent when it comes to hooking up his turbo. As it was previously mentioned, there is a lot of power and stability to be gained in the tune. Unless he's trying to lure you in for a money race, he is setting himself up for failure.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:24 AM
Teching In

You never know man...seriously. The worst thing you can do is underestimate your opponent.