Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

99 SS vs Supercharged M3

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 99 SS VS Supercharged M3

The car that I may be racing by spring time is a 95 M3, that the guy has put a lot of money into. I am not 100% sure on the setup, but its a built stock cc motor, with a supercharger and Methanol injection. I was told it has around 10 psi, and should be dynoing at 450 at the wheels. Its supposed to weigh 500 lbs lighter than a stock Camaro. It has full suspension, but I think thats more for high speed cornerning and stuff like that. It is a stick shift and has 3.90 gears. No nitrous on it as far as I know. He will be using 18x10" rims in the back, but I am not sure about what tire.
My mods are below in my sig. As far as suspension goes, I have a Spohn torque arm, Spohn drag sway bar, and BMR LCA's. I will be getting the relocation brackets put in by then, and hopefully get the Strange adjustable Shocks or struts, as well as some slicks and skinnys. This will most likely be on a street. What do you guys think the outcome will be? What tires give you the best traction for a street race? I also will be changing the Posi in my 12 bolt for a Detroit locker, as I'm doing one wheeled burnouts now.
I am not opposed to spraying, as I do plan on having a nitrous it on the car by then. What do you guys think? This race will be for money, and I will most likely have someone record it on video so I can post it on here.
thanks
Old 12-08-2005, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From a dig you will rape him if your car hooks.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:40 PM
10 Second Club

his car probably traps the same as you, but you et. .5- 1.0 faster . the mickey thompson drag radials are awesome tires for the street and the track- but if you can run a full slick do it. make sure you get the tires nice and hot and i'd bet you burn him with no spray.

traction compound would not hurt in this situation either. DON'T race him from a roll and DON'T screw up the launch and you are a richer man.

also why not take it to the track? that way nobody can call bs. whoever's light goes up first won, end of story.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:50 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Track is a cool idea...but usually not practical. At least for me it never is...

I'm a BMW Tech, so maybe I can yield some insight. I drove a '95 with a Vortech blower on it a month or so ago. What a coincidence... We get a few of them in every now and then. Is it an aftermarket setup, or a factory Dinan package?

There's a lot of variables here. But if he's running an 18" wheel, with a 3.90 diff, first gear is going to come quick. Which could win or lose it for you.

A diff. is one of the best mods for the BMWs, but what you've described is going to be extremely hard to put down to the street. I don't know how he fit an 18x10 on a lowered E36 That thing must rub like no other.

There's no phuckin' way he will take you from a dig. As long as you can launch the car anyways. Throw in that locker... If he's running on a steet tire, and you're on a DR, I can see some complaining issues. But hey, run what ya brung.

The big thing here, is that up top, the M3 is going to pull nasty. Half way through 2nd, and 3rd for him is going to be the strong point. It's tough to say from a roll. With that TH400 you're running, you'll have to be in your sweet spot. He'll have the advantage there. Remember, this is only viable, if he's got as much power, as you stated. A 450rwhp M3, is a BIG number. And it's tough to get there without issues. It's also tough, to find someone to tune that car at that stage.

Be carefull, but I'd put my money out you. He's going to have a hard time launching that car.

Rob
Old 12-08-2005, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually they weigh about 3150 lbs, so they're not as light as some make them out to be. Yes, it's not a bad weight, but it's no "500 lbs less" than an FBody; more like 250-300 lbs.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the replys..

Well, I haven't seen a dyno sheet or anything, but thats what they are all claiming and I know he has spent a small fortune trying to get that car quick.
As for the weight, I know he has racing seats upfront, as well as some other small modifications to lighten it up a bit.
Its not a factory setup, but aftermarket. He went to a shop and told them what he would like out of the car, and they had it done for him.
I wouldn't race him him from a roll. If I wanted to be racing like that, I would have converted to a 6 speed, not a TH400.
Bad *** Ta, so youre saying that its not that easy to get 450rwhp out of a M3? Maybe they are inflating the numbers a bit..
I honestly think I will take him, but just wanted to see what you guys thought as well.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:39 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TransAm52804
Actually they weigh about 3150 lbs, so they're not as light as some make them out to be. Yes, it's not a bad weight, but it's no "500 lbs less" than an FBody; more like 250-300 lbs.
The blower and the parts that go with it will add some weight too. I say you smoke him.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:33 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

It takes someone with the know-how thats all.

My buddy has a blown '02 330ci, which is a much heavier car. Car only puts down 290 to the tire, and is good for mid 13s.

Like I saidm if you can launch your car, which shouldn't be very hard.... You're going to win, no doubt from my corner.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Junkie

i ran a turbo M3 once. atleast i think it was turbo based on the turbo sticker, its rich exhaust, and the noise i heard . oh yea, pulled like a **** too. couldnt out run me though. i had a car or so on him by 80 from a moderate roll. i wasnt expecting him to hang with me, i kinda got on the gas to get rid of him, and there he was next to me. im like wtf, my cars junk!