Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

would a turbo prelude with a "blah-blah-blah" engine be a threat?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would a turbo prelude with a "blah-blah-blah" engine be a threat?

my girlfriend works with a coulpe of ricers and they know i have a camaro, well one of them has a prelude he told her it was turbo and it had a a-x- something or another engine i was like whatever man ur still a piece-of-um rice . well he says how do you do up against supras, i told him i never raced a supra, then he asked, well how do you do against trans-ams, i said a stock trans am? he says, yeah, i told him you idiot it's the same engine, same car, different body. well neways, do yall think i have any reason to worry? i mean i know it's a prelude, i would worry more about a turbo civic, but i just wana be sure. he said he wants to run for money. i dont know nething about imports, but obviously he doesnt know nething about domestics. "How do you do against trans-ams?" what an idiot!
Old 12-10-2005, 08:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

take him........and his money
Old 12-10-2005, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by osvaldo
my girlfriend works with a coulpe of ricers and they know i have a camaro, well one of them has a prelude he told her it was turbo and it had a a-x- something or another engine i was like whatever man ur still a piece-of-um rice . well he says how do you do up against supras, i told him i never raced a supra, then he asked, well how do you do against trans-ams, i said a stock trans am? he says, yeah, i told him you idiot it's the same engine, same car, different body. well neways, do yall think i have any reason to worry? i mean i know it's a prelude, i would worry more about a turbo civic, but i just wana be sure. he said he wants to run for money. i dont know nething about imports, but obviously he doesnt know nething about domestics. "How do you do against trans-ams?" what an idiot!
why would you care more about a civic?...when all the engines are interchangable between the honda platforms. your asking such a open ended question..it could be a 15sec car..or it could be a 11second car...if your so sure his car is rice...why even ask? With a good honda engine and a good turbo kit with really good tuning..he could probably take you froma roll, but not from a dig, but since you have no idea...its hard to say....just race him..as you say ...its just a prelude.

edit: if he wants to run for money...and he is acting liek he doesn't know anything, he is probably playing you...no one slaps down cash if they have lost a bunch of times because they're car is slow...he probably thinks your a sure thing. My friend used to do **** like that..he had a 1g dsm with a 16g turbo and all supporting mods with a flatback fmic and he would jsut tell people he has a exhaust and intake...but when you make 300awhp with the traction of awd...he won a lot of races...all because he acted stupid and pretended he didn't know **** about cars.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:07 AM
12 Second Club

^

He's correct. It's called a hustle. And the cool thing about a hustle is it doesn't matter what kind of car the guy drives. You could hustle in a Pinto or a Vette and get the same results if you're good.

Just because he's putting money down doesn't nessessarilly mean he's trying to hustle you. He could just be some cocky young kid. But usually when money gets involved they're either pretty confident with their ride and don't think you'll be a threat, OR they're trying to run some game on ya

Could the Prelude have some minerals? Yes. How will you know if it does? You won't.

Jon
Old 12-10-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
why would you care more about a civic?...when all the engines are interchangable between the honda platforms. your asking such a open ended question..it could be a 15sec car..or it could be a 11second car...if your so sure his car is rice...why even ask? With a good honda engine and a good turbo kit with really good tuning..he could probably take you froma roll, but not from a dig, but since you have no idea...its hard to say....just race him..as you say ...its just a prelude.

edit: if he wants to run for money...and he is acting liek he doesn't know anything, he is probably playing you...no one slaps down cash if they have lost a bunch of times because they're car is slow...he probably thinks your a sure thing. My friend used to do **** like that..he had a 1g dsm with a 16g turbo and all supporting mods with a flatback fmic and he would jsut tell people he has a exhaust and intake...but when you make 300awhp with the traction of awd...he won a lot of races...all because he acted stupid and pretended he didn't know **** about cars.
I think he meant he would be more worried about a turbo civic cuz theyre lighter. but i say just race this guy for money. as long as it isnt too much money. then get some nitrous and hustle him back. its all fun and games till someone loses 100$
Old 12-10-2005, 03:26 PM
Banned

I know a guy pushing 25 psi on race gas and making 650whp on an H22 engine (modded internals) and on street tune/gas pushing 16 psi and making around 400/400 whp/tq. Just b/c its import and 4cyl. doesnt mean its necessarily slow...but it PROBABLY is...
Old 12-10-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would say %95 of imports I have ran into on the street are slow. These ricers usually just talk **** not knowing what the hell they are talking about. Some are even dumb enough to put down money when they only have exhaust/intake, so dont take him throwing up money as a sign that he really is fast. Remember most ricers get confidence because they run into cars on the street and imagine that they raced them when all they do is a little rev and then the fly by. In their mind there was really a race and they think they won, so they think they can beat anything. Dont sweat it, just race him, if he is for real and you lose, oh well.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:57 PM
Banned

You will probably beat it. Put some $$ down and see. (nothing you arent prepaired to lose though...)
Old 12-10-2005, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

without more details on the motor it's to hard to say for sure, but from the suons of this kid hes a dumbass. he's probly not even turbo'd and if he is, it's probly just a turbo kit thats un-tuned and lacking the supporting mods.

there is only one way to find out, RACE HIM.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:31 PM
Banned

I talked to a guy the other day who had to have been smoking, he had a 92 accord or something going on and on about how the back end kept fishtailing when he got on it. Yeah...and he even SAID it was b/c the front tires were spinning...yeah, no sense what-so-ever. Then he informed me of his plans to supercharge it...but not one of them "EXPENSIVE" kind, oh, no, an electrical one, one that would give him 30% more hp or something according to him....yeah, I know the type...
Old 12-10-2005, 07:48 PM
Banned

Yeah some Honda's might surprise you from a high roll, but most will get wiped in a "real" race. Also did anyone ever notice that whenever a wheel HP figure is posted from a Honda it is "low boost", "pump gas" & "baseline tune"
Old 12-10-2005, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my coworkers is running 22 psi and a resleeved block in a civic. The car has run mid elevens.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stanger88
I talked to a guy the other day who had to have been smoking, he had a 92 accord or something going on and on about how the back end kept fishtailing when he got on it. Yeah...and he even SAID it was b/c the front tires were spinning...yeah, no sense what-so-ever. Then he informed me of his plans to supercharge it...but not one of them "EXPENSIVE" kind, oh, no, an electrical one, one that would give him 30% more hp or something according to him....yeah, I know the type...

lol..thats great..funny thing is its possible to get a fwd car to oversteer....but one of them isn't by acclerating hard...lol
Old 12-11-2005, 11:45 AM
Launching!

Guys I know this guy with a car. It has either a 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engine and either an auto or a manual. It might have nitrous, but I dont know. It weighs like 3000-4000 lbs. My car is stock. Can I take him?
Old 12-11-2005, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

There are a lot of variables unknown.

I've won a race with my 01 WS6 and a 95 turbo lude. Can't remember how much he was pushing, but it was under 300 rwhp. All I had was a lid and cutout.

I've also ran a 97 with a supercharger and around 250ish rwhp and have a video of me pulling twice on him.

Find out how much he's putting down.

Last edited by M-INENT 1; 12-11-2005 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:16 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

The English language owns half the people in this thread. Yeeesh.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
The English language owns half the people in this thread. Yeeesh.
Dammit! I'm one of them.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

you don't have any details in your sig- auto or manual and mods etc.. i'd say DON'T race him for $- your sig says "no major mods" which means you are probably say low 13's high 12's if you are lucky (not trying to be a dick just being honest)

now- if you are set on racing him then you have to talk directly to him (not through your girlfriend ) and ask some key questions.

1. what tires is he running?
2. stock internals? (i'll explain below...)
3. racegas or pump/ boost level/ track times/ dyno #'s (which he may not be willing to tell you but ask around im sure somebody knows something about the car)
4. what is the car tuned with and who tuned it. (probably hondata was used which means he has a good tune, if it has a s-afc chances are it isn't tuned all that well).
5. look at the car and see if it looks like a boogered up job or a nice clean install, that can sometimes tell you alot about the car's performance but sometimes also not just something to consider.
6. something stupid also but can be a tell-tale sign in some cases if the car is "serious" or not- is he using an adjustable fuel pressure regulator or the shitty vortech fmu. if you can't tell just ask him.

now h22's dont' hold too much boost well since they are open-deck aluminum block. ~ 10psi is usually the popping point- then they need to be sleeved ($$+). if he has a sleeved block walk away because he is not playing around.

even if he is not sleeved- it has the potential to easily run mid to low 12's with some tires and a good tune/driver plus all supporting mods. although most would run around what you are running because of traction (high 12's to low 13's but a good trap)

im going to say it is a craps shoot with bad odds on your part because of your lack of modifications. if you had drag radials then you have a way better chance, tear him out of the hole and shut it down at 1/4 mile point.

h22= the "big block" of hondas, they can make some good power.

talk to him in person and he'll probably race you for bragging rights. if he pulls the "i only run for $" **** then simply tell him you don't need his $ but you'll gladly smoke his pos for free . that'll get him all riled up and he'll race you out of spite.

Last edited by sleeperstyle; 12-11-2005 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:52 PM
Launching!

ummmm....where does your girlfriend work?

Does this guy make good money?

Building fast Hondas isn't cheap. It's even more expensive when you run your mouth and get waxed for the price of a ground FX kit.

Sometimes I want to quit my job, get wireless internet in my car and traverse the country on a 'tour de *** kicking' at the expense of everyone who ever bought a header for the their car.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

To make things short.......An H22 Turbo Prelude can be one hell of a car. It might be heard to launch off the line, but is a demon when moving. But like all rice, a turbo setup can be done very right and make huge power, or can be done very wrong and cause all kinds of fuel, timing, knock and heat issues. Most ricers slap an ebay or homebrew kit, dont do **** for fuel delivery and barely tune. They make big peak power, but the curve is as bumpy as the rocky mountains. You will either slaughter him, or he will slaughter you. Dont sleep on them, i have seen them do damage, and i have also seen them blow.