Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

01 SS vs. older turbo RX7

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 SS vs. older turbo RX7

So im driving down the road at like 12:00am. There is this guy in a G35 coupe tryin to race me. So...naturally, I embarass him and his buddy an carry on with my business. But then, we pull to a light, and due to a couple cars traffic, he is a few cars ahead of me and he pulls up to this older RX7 and looks back at me and told the guy to race me. So I get all excited and pull up next to the RX7. He looks over, smiles and drops it a gear, and I hear this loud *** turbo spool up. So I put it into 2nd at like 45 and rip it. We go to probably 110 and I was a good 3 cars on him. The thing is, there is no way this was a stock turbo, it was just too loud. When we slow down and get window to window, I asked him how big his turbo was and he mumbled, a little embarassed, "oh...um...its stock." I laughed and asked him why was it so loud. He told me he didnt know it just was like that. I laughed again and drove off. I could be mistaken but im pretty sure those cars dont come with turbos that loud. I mean I could here it over my LoudMouth at WOT!! If im just imagining things let me know. Either way he was pretty embarassed.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:16 AM
Board Certified Idiot

NOKENMAN actually they do come turbo twin to be exact that loud turbo noise you here is the 2nd turbo actualy kicking in sounds like a jet after burner. as Road and track put it. Next time go from a 30 roll and put an extra 2 cars on him..
Old 12-17-2005, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Good kill. The turbos are very loud with a full intake and exhaust on those cars. The outcome sounds about right if it was it was in fact the older bodystyle. cars before 93 only had one turbo. I would think he had a pretty good amount of mods to even stay that close to you. buti i bet he was still on the stock turbo.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh ok...yeah it was not the newer nicer looking rx7's with the twin turbo. it was the older body style. even if it was a stock turbo he was pullin pretty hard. the front of the car was liftin pretty hard.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:24 PM
Banned

I've driven in a tt'94 and it has NO torque. The RX8's are even worse. I've raped an RX8 to within an inch of it's life when I used to work for Mazda, and I'll tell you there is no way that RX7 was stock. You would have left it worse than the g35.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
and I'll tell you there is no way that RX7 was stock. You would have left it worse than the g35.

sad but true
Old 12-17-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats what i figured. i mean...im not trying to boost up my story like some dick...but this thing pulled hard. and when he would mash it, the back end of his car would come close to touching the ground. it was a pretty fast rx7.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:15 AM
Teching In

I just checked out your webpage. very nice car man. have any numbers or times on it?
And after looking at your mods i'm not suprised you pulled on him as hard as you did. but like i said he must have been pretty modded himself not to get drug worse. Oh and I also had a older rx7 turbo b4 i got my current one. and that thing would squat just like you described. But i know mine did because of old worn out suspension, maybe his was also?

Now go pick on someone your own size you big bully....like me
j/k
Old 12-18-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

hahaha thanks man. nope no numbers or times yet. i will be outting a pretty hefty cam in at the beginning of this comming summer and i am gonna run it after that but im hopin for a little over 400 at the wheels and some low 11's. what are you driving? hi hopes!! thanks again!

justin

p.s. what are you driving?
Old 12-19-2005, 12:54 AM
Teching In

I drive a 93 rx7. Still on the stock twin turbos though. It's not too fast but it still suprises a lot of people. Good luck with your future mods. that thing is gonna be a beast!
Old 12-19-2005, 02:56 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only roadster out there right now that impresses me is the *puts on flame suite* Honda S2000. When you view it in the light it was meant to be viewed in, its a pretty neat little car. And it would KILL an RX8 and from my experience from a roll, its meaner than a 350Z. The owners I have talked to confirm that.
When I worked at a ford dealership, i knew a guy talking **** at the honda dealership in town. Saying hte S2K would kill the GT from a roll. I said, ok, prove it, I know what the new GT's do, show me what it does. Make a long story short, he found a driver that had to have either taken some auto X classes, or was just damn good/crazy. Anyways, the car impressed the hell outta me for a NA 4-banger. It would powerslide lane to lane hitting 2nd gear (do NOT recommend trying it, this guy could DRIVE, had nuts too, doing that in a new 35K car during rush hour.)
Old 12-19-2005, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

damn thats crazy. that is definatly a great little car. thanks again project!!
Old 12-19-2005, 09:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Stanger88
The only roadster out there right now that impresses me is the *puts on flame suite* Honda S2000. When you view it in the light it was meant to be viewed in, its a pretty neat little car. And it would KILL an RX8 and from my experience from a roll, its meaner than a 350Z. The owners I have talked to confirm that.
If you think thats an underdog that peforms pretty well, check a Mazdaspeed Miata (last gen) 170hp and I've seen tests where it'll keep up with a S2000.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a guy who has owned 13 Rx7's, I'll let you know, the 2nd gen (Fc3s or Turbo II's) turbo is a formidable car when tuned and not broken as sadly they usually are. My 87 and 88 TII's easily beat later model Cobra's, Wrx's, srt4s, turbo civic/acuras,etc. That was on the stock turbo. Now with a T04 and some porting, you have well over 300hp(being conservative). My friend has this set up in his convertible Rx7 and has smoked pretty much everything, TAs, STi, Evo, SC Cobras, Vettes, etc etc. He also has a T78 3rd gen that is upposed to put 500+to the wheeks. Rx7 are awesome and I would gladly take a 3rd gen now......providing the LS1 was already swapped Great cars (2nd gen) but again they break too easily, and when a seal goes, a rotor goes, then a housing goes,sigh.....plus they have no tq what so ever. You can kill something from a roll but other than that, let em go
Old 12-19-2005, 06:59 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Miata's are nice, but I would take an S2K, MUCH BETTER build quality and they look hella better imho. So with = performance...its no debate. Never beat the **** outta the MX5 though, dunno.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

id go with a s2000 as well. they do look pretty nice. those mx5's are just to girly looking. theres not much to em.