Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Tell me ways you know somone wants to race you

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tell me ways you know somone wants to race you

Im tired of roll racing cause my stock auto tranny has some lag and the dead spot of a stock auto ls1 suck ***.

I ran into another g35. Again i wasn't sure if he wan't to race or not. But I should have known since I can see him in my rear view mirror going really fast just to catch up. We get at a light, I look over he has his tinted windows rolled up. Light turns green I go easy on the gas then go faster as the g35 and I are nose to nose. So then i hit it some then he does. Then we both finally nail it. And he was right on my ***. His nose was right on my bumper or a little further. I look down am at 80mph and were still going faster. This time my tranny didn't downshift but I keep going and finally broke away from him at 120 or more then shut it down at about 130.

Question is how do you make sure the other driver want to race?

I know I would have gotten him from a dig and if I had a bigger stall or a 6 speed i would have killed him, but my car was not downshifting. And yes, I won, but this just feels like a lose since he was so dame close and i know my car is faster then this as I pulled away from a g35 the other day, but this time I couldn't get my car to downshift.

Also a mustang a few blocks later was in back of me, I was in a shopping mall parking lot by now and he is behind me and flashed his high beems on and off. Im like what the ****. Then he gives a little rev, then he goes and makes a left then a right and hes matching my speed and Im thinking is he trying to get a race or what? But then I arrived where I was going and he left. Cruiseing on friday thru sunday, apperently thurs too, I get a lot of people wanting to race or at least test my car to see how fast it is. It probably doesn't help that my liscense plate has slow in its context, but I don't mind. I just havn't gotten to know when a race is in the side of me.

Oh, yeah, I talked to the g35 owner at the next light. I asked him what that car was and complimented him that is was fast. And he said its a g35 manuel tranny and then he asked me what i got in my camaro and i said lid and exhuast and he said he wanted to get one. But he bought a g35? Maybe this wasn't the first time losing to a camaro.

So again, how do you now when somone in the side of you wants to race?
Old 01-05-2006, 11:54 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe he was being polite and complimenting you by saying he wanted one...who knows. People have all kinds of ways, I usually initate a race by speed matching and loading/unloading the engine in OD (blipping the throttle). If that fails, I look at them and make eye contact and then if they dont want any, i drop back or speed up, depending on the speed im currently at to match them. From a dig, never had the chance, always behind ppl at a light or next to a van/truck/whatnot.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I tried the eye contact to signal a rac, but I seen his tinted rolled up window. My dumbass still wasn't sure untill probably at 35-40 mph and we know thats a dead spot and on an auto I think its even worse.

This has happened before when I got my camaro and i said to myself that i would always launch fast instead of seeing if they want to race, but then I got a ticket and now am back at racing for fun. But im back at point 1 and need to make sure they want to race or just say the hell with it and pull hard.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:12 AM
Banned

In my LT1 i was sucker punched at that speed by a 350Z, he had about 2 cars one me when he nailed it and 3 before i figured out he nailed it and got moving msyelf. At 85 i was about 5-10' off his bumper.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:54 AM
Staging Lane

What kind of gears do you have? I know when I punch my Z28 at 35-40 it will down shift. But I have 2.73 gears.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have 3.23 gears.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:56 AM
Banned

I had 2.73's.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 98boxer
I tried the eye contact to signal a rac, but I seen his tinted rolled up window. My dumbass still wasn't sure untill probably at 35-40 mph and we know thats a dead spot and on an auto I think its even worse.

This has happened before when I got my camaro and i said to myself that i would always launch fast instead of seeing if they want to race, but then I got a ticket and now am back at racing for fun. But im back at point 1 and need to make sure they want to race or just say the hell with it and pull hard.
How about this, just nail it next time. If they loose they loose. If they don't try - hay don't worry about it, it's not going to cuase the world to end. Maybe relax a bit and just take it easy
Old 01-06-2006, 05:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 98boxer
Im tired of roll racing cause my stock auto tranny has some lag and the dead spot of a stock auto ls1 suck ***.

I ran into another g35. Again i wasn't sure if he wan't to race or not. But I should have known since I can see him in my rear view mirror going really fast just to catch up. We get at a light, I look over he has his tinted windows rolled up. Light turns green I go easy on the gas then go faster as the g35 and I are nose to nose. So then i hit it some then he does. Then we both finally nail it. And he was right on my ***. His nose was right on my bumper or a little further. I look down am at 80mph and were still going faster. This time my tranny didn't downshift but I keep going and finally broke away from him at 120 or more then shut it down at about 130.

and i know my car is faster then this as I pulled away from a g35 the other day, but this time I couldn't get my car to downshift.
The autoboxes on these cars are great, very very responsive and downshift no problem at all. If you're having issues it's one of two things.

1. Something wrong with your tranny.
2. Or simple dirver error.

Do you have it in D or OD?

OD (overdrive) is for cruising and will not always shift down to as low a gear. Also doing at WOT kickdown from topgear to 1st or 2nd isn't good for the gearbox.

If you're racing always use D. Then just be awhere of the speed ranges for each gear. I have 2.73 rear in my Z28 and 35-39mph it will kick down to 1st, quite violently and with the TCS off often light the rear tyres up. 1st gear will take me to just under 55mph at the red line, 2nd will top the ton and 3rd nearly 155mph.

In fact 38mph is a real strong point for my car, in D it will be only spinning over at 1400rpm, but it will kick down to 1st, which will plant it right at 4400rpm which is where PEAK torque is made, plus it will then rev upto about 5800rpm before shifting into 2nd.

45mph is a flat spot, as I'm going too quick to get it to kickdown to 1st, but it's quite low in the rev range in 2nd (~2600rpm). So If I'm in D and floor it at 45mph it will only go to 2nd and not pull as hard as it would have done by shifting to first at 35mph.

So racing means going from a speed that suits the gearing. The same applies with manual cars, but there gearing is spaced closer together, so they get more pull in each gear. This means even if they are a gear out it will still pull well, but a manual will not shift as quick as an auto so it's pretty even over all.

Also remeber if you only open the throttle part way it may not kickdown the same as going to WOT, because it thinks you are not accelarating as hard. Also if you only gentley open the throttle it may not kickdown. It's all in the driving technique.

If you want use the link in my sig (Fbody gears) and find out what your speed ranges are in each gear.

It looks like with 3.23 rear on a stock car, 32-33mph is about all you want to be doing in D if you want it to kickdown to 1st. Anyfaster than that and it'll only go to 2nd.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
How about this, just nail it next time. If they loose they loose. If they don't try - hay don't worry about it, it's not going to cuase the world to end. Maybe relax a bit and just take it easy

you're right
Old 01-06-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
The autoboxes on these cars are great, very very responsive and downshift no problem at all. If you're having issues it's one of two things.

1. Something wrong with your tranny.
2. Or simple dirver error.

Do you have it in D or OD?

OD (overdrive) is for cruising and will not always shift down to as low a gear. Also doing at WOT kickdown from topgear to 1st or 2nd isn't good for the gearbox.

If you're racing always use D. Then just be awhere of the speed ranges for each gear. I have 2.73 rear in my Z28 and 35-39mph it will kick down to 1st, quite violently and with the TCS off often light the rear tyres up. 1st gear will take me to just under 55mph at the red line, 2nd will top the ton and 3rd nearly 155mph.

In fact 38mph is a real strong point for my car, in D it will be only spinning over at 1400rpm, but it will kick down to 1st, which will plant it right at 4400rpm which is where PEAK torque is made, plus it will then rev upto about 5800rpm before shifting into 2nd.

45mph is a flat spot, as I'm going too quick to get it to kickdown to 1st, but it's quite low in the rev range in 2nd (~2600rpm). So If I'm in D and floor it at 45mph it will only go to 2nd and not pull as hard as it would have done by shifting to first at 35mph.

So racing means going from a speed that suits the gearing. The same applies with manual cars, but there gearing is spaced closer together, so they get more pull in each gear. This means even if they are a gear out it will still pull well, but a manual will not shift as quick as an auto so it's pretty even over all.

Also remeber if you only open the throttle part way it may not kickdown the same as going to WOT, because it thinks you are not accelarating as hard. Also if you only gentley open the throttle it may not kickdown. It's all in the driving technique.

If you want use the link in my sig (Fbody gears) and find out what your speed ranges are in each gear.

It looks like with 3.23 rear on a stock car, 32-33mph is about all you want to be doing in D if you want it to kickdown to 1st. Anyfaster than that and it'll only go to 2nd.
I think that what probably happened, i didn't automaticly stomp on the gas since I was expecting to speed away with ease. I'll try not to make that error again.

I was in 4th gear so maybe I should have been in 3rd, i'll have to try that next time. I know the day before I raced another car it did downshift but this time I was surprised that it didn't. I got the kill just wasn't the same.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:53 PM
9 Sec. Club!!!

They usually rev at me, I let them know I want some by hitting the purge button..
Old 01-06-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

300 is right...just nail it and if they race, they race. if not, who cares at least you tried. i do it all the time and half the time its just my *** racing some guy thats not even racing. but if you do that, then when it counts, you will be ready.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

i usually know that they want to race after they roll down their window and ask me if i want to race.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people like to pull that throw-a-rev-as-they-exit-the-highway or rev-as-you-stand-by-your-parked-car bullshit though, so I don't usually race someone if they rev at me unless we're both at a light with nobody in front or both on the highway with nobody in front and him in the middle or left lane. Most people I've raced just came out and asked though, that's what I'd do if I wanted to race someone
Old 01-06-2006, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by A Str8 Up G
Some people like to pull that throw-a-rev-as-they-exit-the-highway or rev-as-you-stand-by-your-parked-car bullshit though, so I don't usually race someone if they rev at me unless we're both at a light with nobody in front or both on the highway with nobody in front and him in the middle or left lane. Most people I've raced just came out and asked though, that's what I'd do if I wanted to race someone
Ahhhhh i hate that ****, or you rev they rev but they don't do nothing. Had an old guy in a LS1 vette do that to me i paced him for like a mile he rev'ed i rev'ed and took off but he didn't take off he didn't do crap

Just about the only time i race anymore is if someone comes up to me and ask's me to race. I don't ever get anything just cruising around usually i end up racing my shadow makes it a close race sometimes i win sometimes i lose haha
Old 01-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Banned

I want a purge button
Old 01-06-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pull along side,...say "whats up?"

Weather you do that with body language,....saying it.,....or both,.... will get you a race easy.

Maybe even a fight.

This method works with females as well.

People that want to race me,...for some reason seem to think it's a good idea to tailgait me to initiate a race. All this does is gets me pissed off and gets me in fight mode,...so no tailgaiting.

A quick blip of the throttle when the person is along side you works too. Just NO superhigh revs. No need for it plus, it looks kinda gay when someone revs there car to redline, sitting still. That would probably be followed up by some gay *** smile. Think of the skinny dude from the MOVIE "road trip" pulling alonside you. Exactly my point.

One click blip of the hazards can do it,...not really recommend it though, cause it could cause the wrong kind of attention.

Whenever I see something coming up along side of me,...I pretty much am already downshifted, to my power gear,....and as they are pulling along side, you quickly match there speed,.......and ofcourse your showing them some sort of eye contact,..weather it be a nod,...the finger,....or the moon. Whatever works.

If you find yourself at a light with a fellow sports car,...try not to be too cocky. I kinda do this,...especially if it's a high dollar machine. Always love those ******. They already have the "**** you , my car is sexier look" on there faces so it's really hard for me to keep my mouth shut. At first i'm cool,....and quiet,....windows down. You could simply ask " wanna run 'em?" in a cool way..... There gonna answer one of a few different ways.

1.*******= Hahaha....you wanna race me?....in that thing?....haha... I eat Corvettes(in my case) up all the time. There no match.

My answer would be some cocky comeback regarding whatever kind of car there driving,.... "oh yea...lets do this, bitch"... or something along those lines, depending ofcourse on the person,..and there car. Try not to get into a fight,...

2.Cool= sure thing,....lets do it when it turns green.

(awesome)

3.The my car runs but, not good enough to race tonight because of whatever issue(you name it, new clutch,low oil, no tires,etc etc).

You name it,..I think I have heard it.

ANyways,...I think I am done rambling,... Bottom line, in my experience as a human,...I found it very easy to start a race.

Just don't call out a cop or an undercover on the highway.

Peace out.

J
Old 01-06-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Pull along side,...say "whats up?"

Weather you do that with body language,....saying it.,....or both,.... will get you a race easy.

Maybe even a fight.

This method works with females as well.

People that want to race me,...for some reason seem to think it's a good idea to tailgait me to initiate a race. All this does is gets me pissed off and gets me in fight mode,...so no tailgaiting.

A quick blip of the throttle when the person is along side you works too. Just NO superhigh revs. No need for it plus, it looks kinda gay when someone revs there car to redline, sitting still. That would probably be followed up by some gay *** smile. Think of the skinny dude from the MOVIE "road trip" pulling alonside you. Exactly my point.

One click blip of the hazards can do it,...not really recommend it though, cause it could cause the wrong kind of attention.

Whenever I see something coming up along side of me,...I pretty much am already downshifted, to my power gear,....and as they are pulling along side, you quickly match there speed,.......and ofcourse your showing them some sort of eye contact,..weather it be a nod,...the finger,....or the moon. Whatever works.

If you find yourself at a light with a fellow sports car,...try not to be too cocky. I kinda do this,...especially if it's a high dollar machine. Always love those ******. They already have the "**** you , my car is sexier look" on there faces so it's really hard for me to keep my mouth shut. At first i'm cool,....and quiet,....windows down. You could simply ask " wanna run 'em?" in a cool way..... There gonna answer one of a few different ways.

1.*******= Hahaha....you wanna race me?....in that thing?....haha... I eat Corvettes(in my case) up all the time. There no match.

My answer would be some cocky comeback regarding whatever kind of car there driving,.... "oh yea...lets do this, bitch"... or something along those lines, depending ofcourse on the person,..and there car. Try not to get into a fight,...

2.Cool= sure thing,....lets do it when it turns green.

(awesome)

3.The my car runs but, not good enough to race tonight because of whatever issue(you name it, new clutch,low oil, no tires,etc etc).

You name it,..I think I have heard it.

ANyways,...I think I am done rambling,... Bottom line, in my experience as a human,...I found it very easy to start a race.

Just don't call out a cop or an undercover on the highway.

Peace out.

J
Great advice. The one of tailgateing is very true. I hate that **** and would never do that to start a rice. I get tailgated a lot, pisse's me off. Usally i'd stomp on the gas depending my temper that day. Like today I went to mail my resume and some ******* in an suv was tailgating me, I was already doing 5mph over on a two way lane with lots of cars and when the road changed to a 3 lane and no car on my right and left the stupid *** stayed on my ***. Fianlly at the light he moves to the next lane I look over and its some stupid *** broad probably in her early 40's.

I've thought about trying the rev at the light, but I have an auto and im afraid to spin the tires since it aint to difficult to do so with the brake pushed while pressing the gas. But next time im just going to slam the gas peddale.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Launching!

usually I"ll drop the speed so they come around your side, or if it's you just pull along side of them, and pace thier speed... if they want to race you they'll usually pull off... if they don't then keep going on your way. no reason for Reving, and with my exhaust I can't hear anyone talking anyway... at lights it's always fun, but if they make eye contact, and with you allot and look straight then you'll know... usually I just take off a bit faster than usual and see if they follow, if they follow than it's a race. This works for cops too btw.