Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

s4 driver...... vs my h/c vette

Old 02-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s4 driver...... vs my h/c vette

I work with this guy who's a pretty cool guy. He recently got a bright yellow audi-s4. He knows quite a bit about road racing and has dumped a lot of money into road racing school. Anyways, he'd made a few comments to me about my car not being "that" much faster than his, and once he got a chip (which would put him at a 13.2) he'd give me a run for his money. I told him I don't think he realized how fast my car actually is.... I have mad respect for the s4 since i'm about to sell my a4 to get one in a few months, however, it's not comparable to a h/c ls1 unless you do some serious turbo upgrades.

Anyways we were leaving work today, and he was following me, so I hit it and burn out all the way through 3rd... and he's on it as hard as he could be, and I only was pulling about 3 cars.... so we go down to the road where we hit some twisties, and I haul absolute *** and put busses on him. We hit a light, where ihe was right behind me, and I slowly started then got into it again. Once again I put bus lengths on him, even around the turns, anywhere, I pulled HARD.

It was funny because he got on AIM later and I just asked him what he though, and he was giving me "one word" answers, like yeah, I don't know. I was like what happened, he's like "eh". Anyways, I thought it was funny.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

awesome.

Nothing like a bitch slap....
Old 02-01-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good kill. I raced my buddy's S4 from a dig in my '02 Z28 M6 with just a GMMG catback (not really any faster than stock), and put about 3 cars on him by the top of 1st. He was an auto, but I still couldn't believe how much I out-launched his AWD car. They're definitely not LS1 territory. Oh, and I also heard the same BS about a chip from him.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Launching!

yeah, the automatics are considerable slower... I do know that 0-60 a m6 s4 with a chip will beat a ls1 car.... I've felt the launch, and it's pretty sick.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Never ran into one with a chip; after I smoked him, my "buddy" just gave me the runaround about how much more power a chip would give him. You know how it is with ignorant people...
Old 02-02-2006, 01:03 PM
Launching!

the chip adds like over 60hp to that car.... because it ups the boost.... it goes from running 7 lbs to like 16lbs. It makes a HUGE difference, the only problem is, it also remaps the fuel, and they eat more gas... but a chip on a turbo car, often can add a ton of power.... same with a wrx.... because the chip is like a boost controller.... it just adds the boost... so he's not bs'ing you on the power difference. It's considerable. I've been in them with a chip, and the thing is, the s4 feels fast...
Old 02-02-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice kill man...Ill vouch for this corvette^^ Its fast as ****...ESPECIALLY around the twisties. I was very surprised at how it handled, but I guess that what happens when your F-body slides everywhere...
Old 02-02-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

That's funny. I had one come up to me while I was just cruising down the highway, he started getting on it a little to make that woooosh pssst noise to get my attention. I didn't really care and my friend is in the passenger seat waving him to hit it. So he nails it, I let him get about a car out on me then I nail it and tear his doors right off. I slow down and let him get next to me again, and he's shaking his head back and forth and holding his ears.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:32 PM
Launching!

A lot of people just dont accept the fact that Vettes are sportscars, not pony cars, not muscle cars. They have IRS and rear mounted trannys for a reason.

Stock for stock I would put a C5 or C6 Vettes' handling against an S4s' anyday. They are great cars. In fact my first dream car was the old 2.7TT S4. What a classy, stealthy great all around car. But they have horrible weight distrabution and understeer badly in stock form. In contrast to a Vette which has good weight distrabution, wider contact patches, less weight, and more neutral steering.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Launching!

Oh yeah, I would definitely chose the vette over the s4 at the track.... it's a little bit easier to drive the s4 on the road track... but the vette is superior
Old 02-03-2006, 03:18 AM
Launching!

I raced a stock (I think) s4 on the twisty road from 30-60 and lost by about 1/2 a car. Those cars are damn fast.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

When i was first reading this I thought you were talking about a newer S4 (with the V8) and then I read it had a turbo and was like "oh".

Nice kill but you should try a modded 04+ S4 and see how it goes. The turbo ones are OK but the V8s show how cubes can make a difference.

Tell your buddy to sell that old S4 for a newer one and to stop wasting money on a small blown engine.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:13 AM
Launching!

Except that the 2.7TTs are easier to make fast....
Chip and minor bolt ons allows them to beat out the 4.2s in the 1/4 AFAIK. Once you do basic bolt-ons on the 4.2, have fun getting any more power for cheap.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno I have a couple buddies with the TT s4's and they love them and yes they are easier to make fast, but only to a certain point. The engine isnt forged so it can take only so much boost. Perfect example was when my buddy fried his stock turbos because he had and ecu flash/chip that had him pushing about 13-14 pounds of boost (along with a manual boost controller) and they went on him fairly quickly. He then went to upgraded turbos (cant think of the models but can ask him) and he then needed to rework his entire fueling system and still could only safely push a few more psi. Dont get me wrong, I almost bought an S4 this past fall for my daily driver but I wouldnt have wanted to drive it throught the snow and needed something that i wouldnt have the urge to mod so i got a navigator but Ive always loved the s4's. I havent been in a newer s4 with the 4.2 v-8 but id imagine it would be easier in the long run to mod that engine, but thats JMO.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sparetire
Except that the 2.7TTs are easier to make fast....
Chip and minor bolt ons allows them to beat out the 4.2s in the 1/4 AFAIK. Once you do basic bolt-ons on the 4.2, have fun getting any more power for cheap.

IMO we can relate other turbo cars with a v6 or 4 and go from there.

I think the V8 S4 is still new and Audi owners in general like to keep their cars untouched. Until there is more interest in modding the newer S4s it will not be a readily known the potential of the V8 in the new S4.

Now I have ridden a newer S4 and the older and IMO the V8 has some definite advantages. We have more cubes and more HP. Just throw a nitrous kit on and put exhaust that is less restrictive on and it will do very nice and at a low cost.

With my little bit of knowledge it would cost around that to get a Turbo v6 S4 to a stock V8 S4 HP. Let me know otherwise.

Granted there are more mods and tried and true ways to mod the turbo S4s.

Just my opinion though and we all not about opinions.

P.S. I raced a 2005 S4 with the auto and completely stock from something like a 20 mph roll to 75 mph and had almost 2 cars. How would I do with a chip and exhaust 2.7 turbo S4? See my sig for current setup and figure better HP since the Cats were removed and the 3.73 gear giving better low end IMO.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

I think you would have an s4 from a roll even with a chip. With my mods in sig i could put 3 carlengths or so on my buddies S4 when he had it chipped and that was from around 35mph roll-100 mph. As long as you take the AWD out of the equation it skews the advantage towards the ls1 much much more.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Launching!

The thing is, the RS4 that had the 2.7tt just with upgraded turbos and cams... was way faster the the newer rs4.... for 5000dollars you can safely upgrade the turbo and fuel kit to run a high 11 in the tt s4. And i kinda like the feel of the boost... that's why I'm going to buy one. The newer s4, is kinda heavy to, comparitively.

But I have no problems beating either of them, as my car is well into the 11's now
Old 02-03-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MagikMan
The thing is, the RS4 that had the 2.7tt just with upgraded turbos and cams... was way faster the the newer rs4.... for 5000dollars you can safely upgrade the turbo and fuel kit to run a high 11 in the tt s4. And i kinda like the feel of the boost... that's why I'm going to buy one. The newer s4, is kinda heavy to, comparitively.

But I have no problems beating either of them, as my car is well into the 11's now

Good points. Both are great cars. And your vette would be a sweet ride (too bad I need the extra 2 seats for my 2 little ones).

I am actually curious as to what the two S4s would do side by side with a few mods. I knwo RS4s are different and I think they run with stronger internals if I am not mistaken. Mostly I was hoping to get kore info on the 2.7 since i am mostly experienced with the 2004+ S4.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

BTW I believe I saw an RS6 today in Boston walking to my office builidng. Def wasnt an rs4 as it was much bigger, think looked amazing!
Old 02-03-2006, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MagikMan

LoL wow didnt even see the heads/cam package in your sig so yea youd have no trouble with either models. Are you sure the rs4 is the same engine as the s4? I was under the inpression that the s4 wasnt forged yet the rs4 was, hence why it could do so well with just upgraded cams and turbos. I dunno though any info would be great.

Search this Thread