Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Planned race with a 3000GT VR4

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 11:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planned race with a 3000GT VR4

One of my friends was talking ALOT of crap today, claiming he can smoke my Formula in a race, and he was pissing me off... so I challenged him to a race for $100. He drives a 1998 Mitsubitsi 3000GT VR-4 AWD twin turbo, automatic transmission, with exhaust and intake. His father is a mechanic and apparently he put a, as my friend describes, "good" transmission in. Now, "good" could mean many things. He told me it was a new transmission. He also said his father is currently "rebuilding" the engine. I don't know whats up his sleeve but I have a feeling theres more to that 3000GT than he says. I will find out before I race him, but, if his car has what he says, do you think I can take him? Also, he just started driving, its his first car. I've been driving for almost 4 years now (I'm 18).... this may be to my advantage. He was real cocky about his car... in fact all my friends were saying "oh yeah, 3000GTs are soooooo fast, hes gonna kill your Firebird", "Firebirds really aren't that fast, you over-estimate that slow LS1"!! They were REALLY pissing me off!(NOTE: these guys really know NOTHING about LS1s ). My Formula has 78K miles (I think it needs a tune-up) and his 3000GT has 22K miles with a brand new tranny and rebuilt engine. So what do you think? Am I gonna lose $100 and make all of us look bad, or am I gonna show him the real truth about LS1s?? The race won't take place until his father is finished "rebuilding" his engine, so it might be a while from now.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:07 AM
TECH Regular

From a roll i'd say you would win. From what ive heard the 3000gt's turbos are so small that they give no/very little top end, that being the case you'd hold the advantage from a roll. He would definetly have you off of the launch, but id think if you kept close you'd take him once the speeds got higher. But dont take my advice ive never seen one run before. Another thing to remember is that those cars have fat asses. They can weigh almost as much as an F-Body. The auto transmissions on the 3000gt's were TERRIBLE, but even if he does have a new one i doubt it would be much faster. I hope i helped and good luck. Let me know how you do cuz i know a guy that has a 93 vr4 and would like to take him on.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:56 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If he upgrades the turbo's, look out.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course it depends on how reBUILT the motor and tranny are. Build it right and anything can be fast.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:12 AM
12 Second Club

i think you will take him. you will proble get him from the hole also since its an auto unless he has a stall.
my friend has a 5 speed tt dodge stealth with clutch, flywheel, full exhaust, upgraded turbos dr-500, intake, head work, forged internals and a good tune

and on low boost 14-16 pounds he gets me on the launch by a car and by the end of the 1/4 mile my nose is a fender in front of his.

my mods are in sig.
i havn't raced him on the gas yet but when we do he is going to turn the boost up to 21-23 pounds

find out if he has a stall, since its auto.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly, depends on what he has done but stock still vr-4's are no slouches. if hes modded then thats a whole different ballgame. Even with the stock turbos a simply ecu flash a manual boost controller and eh could be walkign away with your money. As someone already said take his awd out of the equation and run him from a roll. Its tough to launch awd cars but if he has a nice tranny and knows how to launch the thing watch out. I would def get your car tuned up though ebcause for $100 bucks id makes sure it was running right. Good luck though!
Old 02-15-2006, 10:15 AM
12 Second Club

find out if he has a stall, since its auto. also look for a boost controller. if this were a 6 speed vr4 i would be carful but since its auto i think you might edge him out

my friend has a 5 speed tt dodge stealth with clutch, flywheel, full exhaust, upgraded turbos dr-500, intake, head work, forged internals and a good tune

and on low boost 14-16 pounds he gets me on the launch by a car and by the end of 5the 1/4 mile my nose is a fender in front of his.

my mods are in sig.
i havn't raced him on the gas yet but when we do he is going to turn the boost up to 21-23 pounds
Old 02-15-2006, 10:33 AM
Teching In

you will win! just run what ya brung and be prooud.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:54 AM
12 Second Club

If he's rebuilding the motor, he's probably gonna take you. He may even be able to take you if he only has a boost controller. The turbos in those years of the vr4 are better than the previous years.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:30 PM
Banned

WIthout knowing what else he has its impossible to accurately say.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:33 PM
Launching!

He doesn't have a stall. If I got, say an SLP lid, for some cheap HP, would I stand a better chance? Or, should I get headers, LTs and catback exhaust? I really don't want to lose for the sake of LS1s everywhere!
Old 02-15-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have beaten a VR4 w/ just a lid, muffler & convertor. Let us know how it terms out
Old 02-15-2006, 02:01 PM
Teching In

If he says he has rebuilt the motor and tranny, running exaust and filter and your stock and say you need a tune up I say in my opinion he got you even on stock turbo from a dig or a roll. The guy is trippin running you if he just rebuild that engine he needs to brake it in. But hey that one him. I say add some bolt on's and a tune up and you'll be kicking some ***. But if I were you I'll look into if added a after market turbo. Good luck on your race.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Race him rolling or get drag radials and you'll be fine. Think about it, 3000gt VR4s are heavy+auto transmission. I think you will take him, unless he has bigger turbos and lots of mods.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

I never raced an auto VR4, only a stick when my Cobra just had CAI and Catback on it. He launched at something like 5.5K and jumped me by four cars and it took me to the big end to run by him. After the MT DR's and the pulley, I ran by him about the 1/8th mile. Go ahead and run him cause new or not, that AT is gonna SUCK!
Old 02-15-2006, 03:34 PM
Launching!

For the record, auto's do not come in the twin turbo version of that car. So either it's not turbo, or it's not auto. I guess there's always a possibility that someone went through a lot of trouble to put an auto in it, but doubtful.

Not knowing his mods makes it difficult, but if he's still on stock turbo's, you'll probably be pretty close from a stop and then you'll pull him top end. Since you have an auto, you should be pretty close off the line, even with him being awd. (as long as you have decent traction)

For mods, a lid is always good for 10-15hp, but headers + exhaust will be even better. I'd say get a lid, headers, and a cutout. If you can, get a converter too.

Good luck.

Last edited by Muerte_X; 02-15-2006 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:42 PM
Launching!

typical response: raise the bet to $500, buy a nitrous kit, take his money, and hey, free nitrous kit.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:10 PM
Teching In

For once the VR-4 isn't getting flamed for being a "fat pig". It's just a matter of time I guess.

Anyways, your friend sounds full of it. For one, they did not make an "automatic" 98 3000GT VR-4. In that case, they never made an auto VR-4 period. Two. Rebuilt transmission or new? You cannot make the tranny any better on these cars, or the transfer case. This is a fault us VR-4 owners must live with. He must mean new. Three: Why rebuild the engine?. The block is strong. You will frag the tranny way before the engine. Maybe he is putting better turbos in.

As for racing why would you race anyone if your car is sick? If it needs a tune up, then do it. If you race him, do it from a roll. From a launch he will jump you good and then you will have to play catch (that is if he can even launch the car good). From a dead stop, Stock versus stock a later year VR-4 and LS1 is a drivers race. They hit similar quarter times. If he is BPU w/ a cheap boost controller then he will take you out easily in your current state.

Just a side note: If he is upgrading turbos this is what you might expect. I have 15Gs which are okay turbos and I walk my bolt on modded LS1 pretty easily from third boosting 16psi.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I thought the Auto thing sounded strange. He could always get a dog box for it.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wonder how many "Will I win threads" come up during a 24 hr period?

Quick Reply: Planned race with a 3000GT VR4