Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Raced an Evo VIII and an MKIV Supra TT

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 03:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Raced an Evo VIII and an MKIV Supra TT

Was on my way home from the g/f's tonight around 1:15am and made a left onto a 6-lane street as a Supra was turning on as well. After a little revving, he started to play and we raced once down this street, and he edged me by about a fender to 110 or so. Slowed down, rolled my window down and asked him what he had done and he said just a filter and different exhaust tip (just stating it was stock exhaust up to that point, so no exhaust upgrades). He asked if I wanted to play on the highway, so we drove onto the onramp.

Raced him a few more times and the results were back and forth. Don't remember how many times we raced, but each time it was from 50-60 or so til around 120ish. We went back and forth, but neither of us won by more than a fender. Cool kids, they were taking pictures/vid etc.

Turns out a late-model Evo VIII was following us as well and we each got a few runs in with him as well. We both walked him pretty decent every time. I'm assuming he was bone stock, seeing as a slightly modded one should have hung with us.

We all pulled off the highway and came back the other way since we all apparently went out of our way. Tried to get another race in with the Evo. He got the jump on me and I was starting to reel him in at the top of 3rd, and then I missed 4th and hit 2nd. :doh: He slowed down and I threw up my hands and we both laughed about it. Shortly after I realized my car was acting a bit off. The guys in the Supra pulled up from behind me and I told them what happened and they said they saw my rear all over the place as my rear broke loose.

Car seemed to rev fine then, but I told them I was heading home. On my way back the SES light started flashing while I was moving at a constant 70 or so in 6th. Now my car has a real bad shake between 1200-1400rpms. That's a different topic though. Let's just say I'm looking into spending a bit more money than I have on a pair of nice ported LS6s now

Bottom line...my car, '98 Z28/6spd, Magnaflow cat-back and MTI lid with K&N and cut-out airbox.

Supra TT (mid-late 90s), air filter, stock otherwise, races were back and forth no more than a fender to 120ish.

Evo VIII, stock?, both me and Supra beat him by a little over 1-2 cars to about 110. Last race I was reeling him in at top of 3rd when I threw it into 2nd.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's it! I'm moving to IL! I've never come across a Supra by me ever! That's one car I wouldn't mind giving a go at... Nice road play man!
Old 02-22-2006, 06:21 AM

Sounds like some awesome races with some cool people. Nothing beats a good race when the other driver is real cool about it whether they win or lose.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:33 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only had one encounter with a TT Supra (Automatic). and it was with my crappy AOD in the car so he took me from a roll (wouldnt downshift) and fro ma dig after my tranny short shifted into 3rd then OD. anyways good kills/deaths sorry bout the motor, bend a pushrod?
Old 02-22-2006, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeSomething
That's it! I'm moving to IL! I've never come across a Supra by me ever! That's one car I wouldn't mind giving a go at... Nice road play man!
There are quite a few in the STL area..... all of the MKIV's are out of my league though
Old 02-22-2006, 09:57 AM
Launching!

Stock Supra?

Thats as rare as rocking horse poo. Thats like a stock 5.0.

Nice runs.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:13 AM
Banned

I bought my 5.0 stock...the supra i ran had a A/F computer and an intake he claimed... (saw the computer, dunno about the rest)
Old 02-23-2006, 02:46 AM
Teching In

Nice draw,

I would love to run a Evo, never encountered one. Only AWD car's I 've run were couple Sti's and 3000 gt vr4's.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:17 AM
Banned

STI and Evo's stock for stock are pretty much the same thing *zips up flame suite* but Evo's take MUCH BETTER to mods (more available/cheaper).
Old 02-23-2006, 05:45 AM
11 Second Club

Not to mention, Evos look better :p I'm curious to see what would've happened from a dig. I have 225/60r16 winter tires on my car right now, so he would have murdered me off the line, but I'm curious by what speed I would have caught him by.

It was a black Supra, beautiful car. I don't think I've seen it around before. I know there used to be a white NA one parked a block away from me or so, and I've seen a black one (TT also I think) drive around with at least an exhaust on it. This guy's car sounded dead stock (as he said he just had an exhaust tip on it). Sharp, clean car.

Yeah they were fun races and seemed like cool guys from the bit I talked to the Supra guys while we were driving. Didn't get a chance to pull over and stop since I just wanted to get my car home right afterwards. Ordering up a set of pushrods today after work. If it fixes my problem, great. If it doesn't and I end up putting heads on it, I should replace the pushrods with better ones anyways.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:01 AM

I know it's all just opinion anyway, but I personally like the way the older STI's look better than the Evo's, but I like the Evo's alot better than the brand new STI that just came out.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

i know when my car was stock, this guy i knew from the local performance shop had a mid 90s supra with bpu. From a stop he would walk to up to like 80. We both went at about 65 on the highway and he pulled me pretty good.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
I know it's all just opinion anyway, but I personally like the way the older STI's look better than the Evo's, but I like the Evo's alot better than the brand new STI that just came out.
Yup, I have buddies with both and althought he forged engine in the EVO is very attractive the STI looks way better IMO. Im not a big fan of huge spoilers but I think the STI gets away with it more than the EVO. However the EVO MR BBS wheels are sick!
Old 02-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Teching In

personally i hate the looks of rally cars,, i mean they can be pretty quick, but they're pretty fugly to me. STI's are the only car I kno of that comes stock with a fart cannon.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ws649er
personally i hate the looks of rally cars,, i mean they can be pretty quick, but they're pretty fugly to me. STI's are the only car I kno of that comes stock with a fart cannon.
Sad but all too true
Old 02-24-2006, 04:58 AM
TECH Regular

Nice runs...I think you would have caught the Evo by at least a little over 100 . Weird that you even see a stock Evo 8, especially since they have been out a few years now. It had to be stock because if he was even slightly modded you might not have gained on him that quick if at all. With the mods I have on my Evo I ran a TT Supra (exhaust, fmic) that I could see and he couldnt gain on me a bit up to 150 or so, then again it takes our Z06 up to 120 to catch it from a roll in 1st.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MikeSomething

To bad we don't live closer.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
Nice runs...I think you would have caught the Evo by at least a little over 100 . Weird that you even see a stock Evo 8, especially since they have been out a few years now. It had to be stock because if he was even slightly modded you might not have gained on him that quick if at all. With the mods I have on my Evo I ran a TT Supra (exhaust, fmic) that I could see and he couldnt gain on me a bit up to 150 or so, then again it takes our Z06 up to 120 to catch it from a roll in 1st.
i dont know much about evos and the power they make with mods, but one day me and a friend(o4 cobra) came across a group of evo's on the freeway. I line up with the first one and and we went from a slow first gear roll and i raped that evo a good 2 0r 3 times. we stop and talked to him and he claimed 11.9's with fuel management or something like that an intercooler upgrade, exhaust and intake.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by santiago
i dont know much about evos and the power they make with mods, but one day me and a friend(o4 cobra) came across a group of evo's on the freeway. I line up with the first one and and we went from a slow first gear roll and i raped that evo a good 2 0r 3 times. we stop and talked to him and he claimed 11.9's with fuel management or something like that an intercooler upgrade, exhaust and intake.
I'm not at all surprised that you killed an Evo with a Mustang Cobra. Those things don't have anything from a roll, especially considering they have about 25% drivetrain loss, which is ridiculous IMO.

As for the guy running 11.9's, keep in mind thats with an AWD launch. If you launch it like a normal car, that 11.9 suddenly turns into a 13.0. Not too impressive if you ask me. Hence the reason you killed his *** from a roll, AWD does no good once you are moving
Old 03-01-2006, 04:36 AM
TECH Regular

^ Lol, are you serious? Keep in mind it depends on mods to the Evo..I dont have to point out the AMS Evo or anything do I People bitch that he only runs from a roll. Some guys just pick the wrong mix of parts for their cars as with any car. I can run neck and neck with our Z06 (exhaust and zip tie) from 10-15 mph to 120, not bad for an awd car from a roll with about $2500 in power mods. When I upgrade my turbo, just small upgrade most likely and water/meth injection...The Z06 will be looking at my taillights. You cant judge a car on 1 incident.