Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

C5 Vette vs. FD Rx7

Old 07-21-2006, 09:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Vette vs. FD Rx7

was coming home from Village Inn at about 3:50am on a deserted 4 lane highway. I was cruising 60 in a 65 mph area and I noticed the headlights of a C5 Vette steadily passing me by in the fast lane.

At first I just let him go and he proceeded on his way, But after he got a ways up the road I decided to catch up and see if he wanted to have some fun.. So I caught back up and the owner looks to be in his late 20s. He gives a friendly wave and after returning the gesture I point foward signaling to him I want to race. By now we are doing about 65 and as soon as I get down to 3rd he hits it(no honk or anything ) I immedietely punch it after him and the race is on.

His initial jump put him about a car in front of me but Almost as quickly as he jumped on me I stopped his pull and began realing him in very fast. By the time i had to shift out of third I had 1 and a half to 2 cars on him. And in 4th it got really ugly. I ran it up to about 130mph and had saveral buses on him( not sure whem he let off) pleased with my new motors performace, I back off and slow back down to 60.

After he finally cathces back up I give him a big thumbs up. The vette had the biggest grin on his face and Literally started in his car LOL i couldn'ed beleive it. It was a fun run with a cool guy, Now I need to find me a Zo6 to play with.

My mods: are streetport T04r with supporting fuel @ about 15.5 psi in my FD
The Vette: "looked" stock and was probaly an auto but it was still fun.

Last edited by ProjectD; 07-22-2006 at 03:26 AM.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ProjectD
was coming home from Village Inn at about 3:50am on a deserted 4 lane highway. I was cruising 60 in a 65 mph area and i noticed the headlights of a C5 Vette steadily passing me by in the fast lane.

At first I just let him go and he proceeded on his way, But after he got a ways up the road I decided to catch up and see if he wanted to have some fun.. So i caught back up and the owner looks to be in his late 20s. He gives a friendly wave and after returning the gesture i ponit foward signaling to him I want to race. By now we are doing about 65 and as soon as I get down to 3rd he hits it(no honk or anything ) I immedietely punch it after him and the race is on.

His initial jump put him about a car in front of my but Almost as quickly as he jumped on my I stopped he pull and began realing him in very fast. By the time i had to shift out of third i had 1 and a half to 2 cars on him. And in 4th it got really ugly. I ran it up to about 130mph and had saveral buses on him( not sure whem he let off) pleased with my new motors performace, I back off and slow back down to 60.

After he finally cathces back up I give him a big thumbs up. The vette had the biggest grin on his face and Literally started in his car LOL i couldn'ed beleive it. It was a fun run with a cool guy, Now I need to find me a Zo6 to play with.

My mods: are streetport T04r with supporting fuel @ about 15.5 psi in my FD
The Vette: "looked" stock and was probaly an auto but it was still fun.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

Any numbers? I am guessing around 410 at the wheels at that boost level.
At only 2800lbs. Yeah, that car has some serious craving for speed. Also one of the best handling cars ever produced, can rival/beat a C6 Z06 with very few suspension tweaks.

I wish I had enough money to keep an FD in my garage and drive it that hard. Those motors require constant maintenance. GL with your hunting for the Z06. I know theyre somewhat hard to come by around here.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Specialized
At only 2800lbs. Yeah, that car has some serious craving for speed. Also one of the best handling cars ever produced, can rival/beat a C6 Z06 with very few suspension tweaks.

I wish I had enough money to keep an FD in my garage and drive it that hard. Those motors require constant maintenance. GL with your hunting for the Z06. I know theyre somewhat hard to come by around here.

I hear ya. You can drive a FD real hard if you do what I did...
Old 07-21-2006, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Thanx for the props guys. I haven't dynoed yet but I will try to get in and see where i'm at. I'm street tuned to 17psi (this run was only at 15.5) and I'm hoping to crack 430hp. But I'm not gonna sweat it if I don't reach it. Like Specialized said, 400+ already makes for a very fun ride.

BTW what do C6 ZO6s trap? I'm sure i'll get smoked but if i see one I'm sure as hell gonna give it a shot.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ProjectD
Thanx for the props guys. I haven't dynoed yet but I will try to get in and see where i'm at. I'm street tuned to 17psi (this run was only at 15.5) and I'm hoping to crack 430hp. But I'm not gonna sweat it if I don't reach it. Like Specialized said, 400+ already makes for a very fun ride.

BTW what do C6 ZO6s trap? I'm sure i'll get smoked but if i see one I'm sure as hell gonna give it a shot.
With the right setup you should pull him through the quarter and on the street as long as you were on some good size tires or radials and brake boosting. There is a car on rx7club.com with a 10.98 and only 408 whp. The C5 Z06's make about 450 to the wheels but weigh more. I think they are running 11.6's and trapping 125 or so.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

First off nice run. Sounds like it was fun.

C6Z's can trap around 125-127 and have run as quick as 10.9's with traction.

I'd also like to have a FD. There was one FS around here about a year ago that had a built motor with a T76. Supposedly made 600 to the wheels on low boost/pump and would push 800 all decked out. It was at a local used car dealership and the guy had all documented papers, said it was built by a well known rotary guy...I think his name was Pete something. It had a cage, some classy 18's, and came with a labtop. Really clean black on black. They were asking 17,5k and I was actually considering trying to get it until I did some research online. Like the other guy ^ mentioned, I found out how hard it is to maintain them and that they tend to have a fair amount of problems.

Again, nice ride and good run!
Old 07-21-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice run!
Old 07-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by COMNBYU
First off nice run. Sounds like it was fun.

C6Z's can trap around 125-127 and have run as quick as 10.9's with traction.

I'd also like to have a FD. There was one FS around here about a year ago that had a built motor with a T76. Supposedly made 600 to the wheels on low boost/pump and would push 800 all decked out. It was at a local used car dealership and the guy had all documented papers, said it was built by a well known rotary guy...I think his name was Pete something. It had a cage, some classy 18's, and came with a labtop. Really clean black on black. They were asking 17,5k and I was actually considering trying to get it until I did some research online. Like the other guy ^ mentioned, I found out how hard it is to maintain them and that they tend to have a fair amount of problems.

Again, nice ride and good run!
That sounds like too much power, maybe that was a 3-rotor car? Well, then the price wouldn't fit... Should take that size turbo about 30 psi to make 600 whp. Def. not on pump! Not on a rotary! They aren't "hard" to maintain, just a lot of things to do and check. If built correctly, they don't even have many problems. Its just the ones people think they can beat on and not take as much care of, like you can a LS1. They have trouble keeping the motors from pinging. A proper tuner can do a good job making a rotary reliable. I put many HARD miles on mine and never had any problems at all. I did a lot of research and had a good motor builder/tuner.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSINA7
That sounds like too much power, maybe that was a 3-rotor car? Well, then the price wouldn't fit... Should take that size turbo about 30 psi to make 600 whp. Def. not on pump! Not on a rotary! They aren't "hard" to maintain, just a lot of things to do and check. If built correctly, they don't even have many problems. Its just the ones people think they can beat on and not take as much care of, like you can a LS1. They have trouble keeping the motors from pinging. A proper tuner can do a good job making a rotary reliable. I put many HARD miles on mine and never had any problems at all. I did a lot of research and had a good motor builder/tuner.

Oh no doubt about the power. Like you guys mentioned above I would think 4-450whp in a car that light would make for pretty hairy ride, much less 600+.

I don't know **** about rotarys (don't even know if I'm spelling it right) so I have no idea if the dealer was bs'n or not. I knew at the time that a .76 is a decent size turbo but had no idea if it was capable of getting that kind of power out of a rotary. Like I said he had documentation a tons of reciepts so I figured he might know what he was talking about. I never actually saw a dyno chart though so who knows??
Old 07-21-2006, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by COMNBYU
Oh no doubt about the power. Like you guys mentioned above I would think 4-450whp in a car that light would make for pretty hairy ride, much less 600+.

I don't know **** about rotarys (don't even know if I'm spelling it right) so I have no idea if the dealer was bs'n or not. I knew at the time that a .76 is a decent size turbo but had no idea if it was capable of getting that kind of power out of a rotary. Like I said he had documentation a tons of reciepts so I figured he might know what he was talking about. I never actually saw a dyno chart though so who knows??
Yeah, sounds really high to me. Maybe engine horsepower.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Junkie

I would have bought it...

Yeah right, $17k on a modified used car in addition to my money pit now... My wife would FOR SURE ditch me...

Anyhow, the last gen RX-7 will forever live in my heart... Ever since the day in the early nineties when I was a high school punk and I sat in one at the local auto show right before it came out... Having many in my Gran Turismo garage is a poor substitute for the real thing.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bboyferal
I would have bought it...

Yeah right, $17k on a modified used car in addition to my money pit now... My wife would FOR SURE ditch me...

Anyhow, the last gen RX-7 will forever live in my heart... Ever since the day in the early nineties when I was a high school punk and I sat in one at the local auto show right before it came out... Having many in my Gran Turismo garage is a poor substitute for the real thing.
Haha.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:02 PM
Teching In

125mph traps stock is just plain nasty! I can't wait to see that car in action in person even if I'm looking at the tail lights.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 Vette vs. FD Rx7