Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My GTO vs Supra TT question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 11:38 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My GTO vs Supra TT question?

I know you guys hate this but here it goes.......
How modded of a Supra can I beat? My parts are in my sig, on the spray what can I beat and off the spray what can I beat?
For the record we are talking roll racing from a 50 punch.
The reason I ask is because my buddy knows this dude who has a 97 Supra with an intake, full exhaust, BOV, Boost Controller, cam gears, and a tune.
Would I stand a chance all motor or had I better get the bottle filled?
Old 08-11-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

it depends on how much boost he is running. i say just get the rest of your mods that you have listed in your sig and you should take him.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Are you kiddin' me? You ever ran a Supra? Man you got a badass car but an intake and exhaust ain't gonna let you beat a Supra. Try some Spray and a Tune....and get you a big ol' bumpstick.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
Are you kiddin' me? You ever ran a Supra? Man you got a badass car but an intake and exhaust ain't gonna let you beat a Supra. Try some Spray and a Tune....and get you a big ol' bumpstick.
Hey guy read my sig, hell read my first post. By fill my bottle I wasn't talking about mountain dew.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

I did read your sig. That's why I said "are you kiddin' me"

I was simply agreeing with the Spray and Tune and then suggesting a nice ol' cam.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
I did read your sig. That's why I said "are you kiddin' me"

I was simply agreeing with the Spray and Tune and then suggesting a nice ol' cam.
He cant be making that much power. My car with the LT's, Offroad Mids, Catback, 150 shot, a big cam and a tune would put me in the 600+ range.
No way in hell his car would touch that, not with his mods.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

...."gross power to weight ratio"...that's what makes those cars fast. He underweigs you.....and if he's modded like you say...then he's running close to your HP
Old 08-11-2006, 12:11 PM
Banned

I'd fill the bottle. Get Dr's and run him from dig for the 1/4. Your jut playing into their strenght by going froma roll.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NYTIGER
I'd fill the bottle. Get Dr's and run him from dig for the 1/4. Your jut playing into their strenght by going froma roll.
Exactly.......
Old 08-11-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

Supras are not fun to race from a roll. Most are already modded, finding a stock one is like finding a stock car on LS1 Tech.
A good medium/large duration cam, full exhaust, and intake will do you well. Make sure you have your finger on the little red button. Without any other FI or head swaps, you will need it.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:17 PM
Banned

Man I guess I sort of underestimated the guys car.
Makes me wish I would have bought the 98' TT I looked at instead of my GTO. Oh well long live the LSX.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

No way dude.....keep your car....just invest in a big ol blower! Like say a hmmmmm....Procharger or a Novi 2000......and then pull up and see what he's got.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:11 PM
Banned

Don't sell your car short either. Just do your research and run smart.

You could always drop your compression and throw a STS rear turbo on and run some 10's too.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CoRNFeD LS2
Man I guess I sort of underestimated the guys car.
Makes me wish I would have bought the 98' TT I looked at instead of my GTO. Oh well long live the LSX.
Not EVERY MKIV is a 9-10 sec. car!! Man, some of you play the "telephone game" of hearing about some this quick and then you assume they're ALL this quick. Do you see an NA auto Supra and shake in fear?? Yes, if he has all he claims and IF it is tuned right he will be real quick (especially from a roll), but who knows this for sure?
Like all above have said, do everything you have and are planning to get, plus, I would try to reduce the weight as much as possible, in any way you can. Also, as has been suggested, I've seen STS Turbo setups in your car run some sick times, full weight and all.
Lastly, (and I know this goes against popular opinion on here) I personally think your car looks better than any Supra anyway, so KEEP IT, and make it beat the damned MKIVs. Again, it seems that people on here and elsewhere let the speed/performance of modded Supras influence their opinions of the aesthetics.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Not EVERY MKIV is a 9-10 sec. car!! Man, some of you play the "telephone game" of hearing about some this quick and then you assume they're ALL this quick. Do you see an NA auto Supra and shake in fear?? Yes, if he has all he claims and IF it is tuned right he will be real quick (especially from a roll), but who knows this for sure?
Like all above have said, do everything you have and are planning to get, plus, I would try to reduce the weight as much as possible, in any way you can. Also, as has been suggested, I've seen STS Turbo setups in your car run some sick times, full weight and all.
Lastly, (and I know this goes against popular opinion on here) I personally think your car looks better than any Supra anyway, so KEEP IT, and make it beat the damned MKIVs. Again, it seems that people on here and elsewhere let the speed/performance of modded Supras influence their opinions of the aesthetics.
I usually don't agree with you domestic guys, but this guy is right. Sure there are stock twin supras in the 10's... But not all Supras are the crazy highway monsters you hear about. Sure there are A LOT of Supras in the 4 digits in hp numbers and single digits in the 1/4.

You should be even with a Intake and exhaust Supra. That should put him in the 12's.

But with the mods you listed, I would assume the Supra might sneak into the 11's at 18 PSI. I assume you are high 12's with your mods... I would say spray the 150 shot and you will win from any speed.

BTW, I love the LS-X, but I would have bought the Supra.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:03 PM
Board Certified Idiot

This DUde would have to have aLot of Money into His Supra to be going Plenty Fast ... PPl allways Assume Spuras Are Monsters.. When they Seem them From a Roll in these Videos. Do People In real life actualy have any clue as to what Kind of money is spent on getting them to Get there?? Not Knocking a Supra.. They are Awsome.. But Depending on his Gears & Cam Set Up Not to Metion his Boost. You could Have Your Hands FUll even with all your Mods. Race Him & Find Out i SAy
Old 08-11-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That IRS and weight are your handicap. I dunno Ive seen sprayed GTOs running 12s. I was rather disapointed, I almost bought one.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Don't even think about selling your car because someone is faster. There is ALWAYS someone faster than you. Remeber here you are dealing with a fast car that lives to build RPM's. You have advanatages off the line.

Thinking about selling out because of something faster goes against what it means to be a "car enthusiast." If you want to beat everything on the road drop a "few" grand on a 408, put a turbo on it, drop your weight a few hundred pounds, and yeah then you should sell it if you get beat.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Launching!

1) What the heck is with people Typing EVerything with FUcked Up CapSSS?

2)Supras are not light. Very similar to F-Bodies, so thats maybe a few hundred lbs. Loose your jack and tools, run him on a half tank of 91 octane and forget about weight. Weight is not much of an issue after 3rd gear anyway.

3)Supras have a rep for sure. But in stock form or in BPU form (as is the case with your competitor) they are beatable. The good BPU guys run mid 400s WHP AFAIK. With your mods and the shot you have him beat power-wise.

4)Running from a dig is not any better for either car. GTOs dont exactly blast off the line like Camaros. If its a stalled auto Supra the GTO will loose the holeshot contest big time in fact.

Run him. If what you have said is accurate, I bet on you.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sdbrown84
Remeber here you are dealing with a fast car that lives to build RPM's. You have advanatages off the line.
Please do not spread misinformation. Anti-lag and 2-steps make your statement very untrue. There are IRS Turbo Cars lifting front tires. Just because the car has a turbo the size of your head does not mean it will lag off the line.

Quick Reply: My GTO vs Supra TT question?