Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Wrx Sti

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrx Sti

I was up in springfield today lookin at some cars and i ran by the subaru dealership just to see what all the fuss was about. they had the new wrx sti. 300 horse 300 ftlbs. when i asked the salesman about it he said that you couldnt test drive them. This is a 30,000 dollar car that is supposed to be so fast that you dont need to test drive it. It may be quick but its not that quick. what do you guys thingk?
Old 09-04-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL I'd say BS and talk to the manager of the dealership and tell him that his salesman just lost him some buisness on a 30K car because you couldnt test dirve it. Even if you didi intend to buy it he was still being an *** hole.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

The same thing was happening when the Evo's first came out. I didnt know dealerships were still doing this though. I would just walk out when they said this though until I found one that was cool.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Almost no dealer will allow you to test drive an STi. Dealers turn away people in their 50's for a test drive.

Often times, people who work at dealerships will post at some of the Subaru forums and they say that there is about 7-10 people that are looking to "buy" one of them a week when they get about one every three months. The tires on the car will last about 10k miles and if they let even 1/2 the people test drive them, most would have about 100 miles on them and the dealer would not be able to sell them as "new".

If you want to test drive one, find a used one, that's what I did to decide I wanted one
Old 09-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Teching In

I think it just depends on the dealership. I've test driven 2 Sti's and neither salesman turn me down. The first guy even let me take it out by myself...
Old 09-05-2006, 01:12 PM
12 Second Club

Basically the same thing happend to me when I swung by a Subey dealership back when the STi's first came out. I wasn't planning on buying one either, just wanted to stop buy and check one out.

Salesman told me that if I needed to test drive it that I didn't understand what I was buying. He said, "You think everyone that buys a Vette test drives it? Everyone knows what a Vette can do, they don't need to "test" drive it."
Old 09-05-2006, 01:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by COMNBYU
Basically the same thing happend to me when I swung by a Subey dealership back when the STi's first came out. I wasn't planning on buying one either, just wanted to stop buy and check one out.

Salesman told me that if I needed to test drive it that I didn't understand what I was buying. He said, "You think everyone that buys a Vette test drives it? Everyone knows what a Vette can do, they don't need to "test" drive it."
That is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard holy ****. Just ******* thinking about the stupid *** things salesmen have said to me gets me all pissed off. Who ******* buys a car without driving it first what a damn tool.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I on't agree with it, but I guess the age and appearance of the individual in question might also play a part. I mean if a scruffy 16 year old walked into a dealership wanting to test drive a fast expensive car would you let them?

When I test drove a z/28 a couple of years back the sales chap was really down to Earth and said he was happy to let me drive it because I turned up in a V12 Jag. Where as while I was there two chaps (mid late 20's) came screaming into the carpark in some mildly hot hatch, you could just tell they where full of it. The sales guy told me quite clearly that they stood no chance of driving anything remotley fast.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah almost every Evo and Sti dealers/salesman are like that. I had already pre-ordered my STi(before they came to US soil) and during the wait I checked out the EVO. No dealer would let me test drive. They said you need to at LEAST put a downpayment on it(yes refundable) just to test drive it. Pretty gay IMO. But what ever, I got my STi and I'm happy so screw those bitchy dealerships. As stated before the only real way to get a test drive is find a used one, or a person willing to let you drive.