Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

00 SS Vs 94 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 SS Vs 94 Z28

I was coming home from a friends house, when a nice SS merges right next to me. It was that nice blue color. Anyway, i noticed it was really loud, so i slowed down to see if he wanted to play. Sure enough, he downshifted and gave me a rev. We slowed down to about a 25 roll and i beeped it 3 times. (I got the hit. Not huge, but a little) 1st gear i pulled, second gear it looked like i was still pulling. By the end of second, it looked like it was evening out. He was about a car length behind me. Once i hit third, i noticed him edging me out a bit. Then, we had to slow down. He never passed me, but got almost to my door.

Next race, from a 15 roll. We both got on it pretty equally. 1st gear was pretty close, 2nd gear i got ahead a little, then he started coming back. He ended up passing me at about 106. It wasn't a hard pull, but slowly went by.

Next run was a dig. He had DR's and so do i. Off the line i pulled a little, but not much. We were even up to about 70-80 and shut down.

The last race was a 20 roll. We both got an equal hit and had similiar results. I started to pull a little in 1st and second, then by the end of second it evened out and he ended up passing me when i got deep into 3rd. (this time about 110) He got almost a car length ahead, but the faster we would have went, the more he would have pulled.

Anyway, we stopped and talked for a while. He told me his mods and i shared mine. It was a 2000 SS M6 with LT's and ORY with a cutout. (which is why it was so loud) He had a couple of free mods as well, including a TB. He said he ran at the track a couple weeks ago and ran a 13.0 @ 107.8. He said the weather was horrible though, very hot. Were in florida, so it must have been 90*+ heat...Not to mention the humidity.

I have an A4 with LT headers, matching Y-pipe, Cai, LT4 KM, and a tune. 8.4 in the 1/8. (i just barely had a 1.98 60' on that run. I could have done better if i hooked)

So, what do you guys think?
Old 09-05-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

i think you had your self some good fun there, seems like your car is running well not really suprised of the results
Old 09-05-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Not to take anything away from your run, but something's wrong here.
Seem's like the SS should have taken you down.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:41 AM
Launching!

I think he needs to learn how to drive. With the mods you listed the SS should be putting down about 330 Hp and you should be about 285Hp. But who cares you won.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Launching!

The guy drove fine, i just got the hit on some of the runs. (That makes a difference) I didn't win, he pulled me up top. I think the results make perfect sense. What the guy really needs is a tune...
Old 09-06-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

do u have a converter? if so how big of a stall. stalled autos are pretty mean from the right punch.

if not, get one..u'll love it
Old 09-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dannyz
Not to take anything away from your run, but something's wrong here.
Seem's like the SS should have taken you down.
Surprise Surprise, DannyZ can't believe an LT1 beat an LS1.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to raise te BS flag. Just kidding nice kill and death.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice death, time to get more mods
Old 09-06-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey the pic in your Sig is Funny. You drew a Black Spoiler on it!!
Originally Posted by Empatho
Nice death, time to get more mods
Old 09-06-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by burnzilla
Surprise Surprise, DannyZ can't believe an LT1 beat an LS1.
No dude, you have it wrong.
The guy say's he won, and that's that.
All I said was that something was wrong there.
As the one guy posted, the SS was putting quite a bit more power to the ground, claimed he had run a 13 flat at the track.
I can't see an auto LT-1, w/o a stall, and only a couple of mod's running quicker then that.
You LT-1 guy's let me know if your car's really are that quick.
I honestly don't think they are, but if they are then I'm wrong, and I will admit it.
So post up guy's.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

1996 TA 3.73 stock exhaust manifold, but had the FULL LT4 (intake, hotcam, 1.6rr) and heavy @ss boydcoddington smoothie II's, I ran high 12's. 297rwhp. I took some LS1 ta's and a few GTO's.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that wasnt with lt4 heads i guess? cuz lt4 head cars with hot cam make like 350-360whp with the hot cam setup from what i seen. i seen a hotcam car make 340whp with stock lt1 heads. you need some headers/exhaust to really feel that cam..then u'd be up over 320whp
Old 09-06-2006, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

As the one guy posted, the SS was putting quite a bit more power to the ground, claimed he had run a 13 flat at the track.
I can't see an auto LT-1, w/o a stall, and only a couple of mod's running quicker then that.
I honestly don't think they are, but if they are then I'm wrong, and I will admit it.
So post up guy's.
His post sounds reasonable, The ls1 started pulling him at higher speeds. I have similar results in my 95 TA. I have full exhaust, 3.73's , Madz28 tune , cai, sfc's and a few other small bolt ons. I have won against many stock ls1's and have even won against a couple with exhaust work. My experience is that I start getting pulled on at higher speeds ( over 100 ) by some of the LS1's that i've raced.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by donkey mule
His post sounds reasonable, The ls1 started pulling him at higher speeds. I have similar results in my 95 TA. I have full exhaust, 3.73's , Madz28 tune , cai, sfc's and a few other small bolt ons. I have won against many stock ls1's and have even won against a couple with exhaust work. My experience is that I start getting pulled on at higher speeds ( over 100 ) by some of the LS1's that i've raced.
OK guy's, thank's for the straight answer's.
I honestly did not know LT-1 F-body's were that quick.
They are pretty rare in my neck of the wood's so I have yet to run one.
Now I know.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Launching!

So post up guy's.
LT's and a y-pipe really make a big change on an LT1. It's very noticable. Im pretty sure you get more Rwhp putting LT's on an LT1, rather than an LS1. Im not saying the LT1 will make more power than an LS1, just that the gain is bigger.

Thanks for all the positive feedback!
Old 09-07-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

13.3 on my mod's below. Not too bad o n very bald street tires Worked alot like slicks when i got them heated up. i spin really bad in 1st but 2nd comes and hold on to your pants. ~Cole~
Old 09-07-2006, 02:23 PM
12 Second Club

So post up guy's.
I have dumped LTs, CAI, NO TUNE, lca/lcarbs and tires hitting high 12s at 105..

lts make a world of difference on an LT1 car. it only put down 285/320 but the exhaust was corked hitting 11.8:1 A/F. when I drive normally and at the track, it's a dumped Y-pipe