Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Viper Vs. Me...good morality story.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper Vs. Me...good morality story.

So last night i get a call in the middle of the covenant. Its steve "Hey, you gotta come up here and race this viper. Blake beat him and you were even with blake on a lower shot so you should beat him." So...im thinking oh well, whatever. I head up there to meet with them to see this stunning yellow viper sitting there with a man in his mid 40s sitting pilot. "Hi, so what are we racing for?"

"Well, what do you got"

(first time im honest about my car)"98 LS1 firebird, turbo 350 trans with 3500 stall, 125 shot nitrous and 3.73s"

"Oh...wow..."

"So, from a stop to 100"

"I gotta have a roll"

We go back and forth about the roll and what not and agree on turners and for 100.00. We head out there, plenty following, and line up. I did not check my bottle pressure, we raced and he beat me pretty bad. Here is where the story gets good. We left to go get his money. We go to the ATM and get the 100.00 out and the guy is standing there with his wife. Im feeling pretty low at this point for losing 100 bucks in a race and felt as my car was a direct representation of me...losing. This guy, in the most honorable action when i hand him the money says...

"I am giving it right back to you."

"What??"

"Yeah...integrity. Its worth alot more than money. You took my handshake as a binding contract at hardees and did not need someone to hold any money. In losing, you kept your word and that is rare, especially in this hobby. Integrity and honesty between two men, especially one of your generation, is rare and is worth more than any money you can give me."

"wow...i really dont know what to say."

"Just realize that your word and your name is worth more than winning any race. And that next time I am in town, I expect a rematch for fun."

"Thank you...for the lesson and definatly on the rematch!"

(his wife) "BTW, nice car"

"Thank you again!"

Needless to say i went home that night a little stunned and a little changed as a person. To see a real life example of the worth of money compared to the worth of morality and integrity was for lack of better words, refreshing in this town. Just thought it was definatly a story worth telling.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

Good story!

So the moral of the story is: Always check your bottle pressure.
lol
Old 09-10-2006, 03:42 PM
11 Second Club

yep...ALWAYS

I look back there after the race cause the car was richening out and sure enough...300psi. FAWK
Old 09-10-2006, 07:17 PM
10 Second Club

think you would have got with the bottle? Very cool guy, not too many gentleman racers left like that.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:14 PM
Banned

Awww cute. Group hug.

Kidding aside thats pretty sweet. Besides he has a Viper, its not like he needs it.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:21 PM
TECH Regular

Good story, and good to know there are people like that out there that know that money doesn't mean everything. Then again he was driving a viper...lol...

But seriously I don't know the guy but I sure do have a lot of respect for him who ever he is, i wish there were more cool car people like that around here.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

that was cool of him. dude was rollin in a $80K car, he wipes his a$$ with $100.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: king of prussia, pa (home) and williamsport, pa (school)

So the moral of the story is: Always check your bottle pressure.
hahahahhahah exactly.

awesome night man! these type of things make you feel reallll good about yourself as a person. now throw some headers and a nice cam in there and race him again. this time you be the cool guy in return as he did to you!
Old 09-10-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LT1MAN
that was cool of him. dude was rollin in a $80K car, he wipes his a$$ with $100.
haha yep thats why youd probably only see this from someone in a viper or something. never would a import do that.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:02 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the dude had a viper. chances are he didn't need money from some kid

sounded like a standup guy.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

Next time you race make sure you tel him it's the same thing but with a full bottle. Then it won't be like you modded up a lot just to win ya know?

Dan
Old 09-11-2006, 12:25 AM
12 Second Club

thats a really good story. most car people around here are azholes!! good to know that theres some people like that left. it makes the hobby look a lil better in the eyes of everyone else who isnt into cars!
Old 09-11-2006, 10:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Im2gq4u
So last night i get a call in the middle of the covenant. Its steve "Hey, you gotta come up here and race this viper. Blake beat him and you were even with blake on a lower shot so you should beat him." So...im thinking oh well, whatever. I head up there to meet with them to see this stunning yellow viper sitting there with a man in his mid 40s sitting pilot. "Hi, so what are we racing for?"

"Well, what do you got"

(first time im honest about my car)"98 LS1 firebird, turbo 350 trans with 3500 stall, 125 shot nitrous and 3.73s"

"Oh...wow..."

"So, from a stop to 100"

"I gotta have a roll"

We go back and forth about the roll and what not and agree on turners and for 100.00. We head out there, plenty following, and line up. I did not check my bottle pressure, we raced and he beat me pretty bad. Here is where the story gets good. We left to go get his money. We go to the ATM and get the 100.00 out and the guy is standing there with his wife. Im feeling pretty low at this point for losing 100 bucks in a race and felt as my car was a direct representation of me...losing. This guy, in the most honorable action when i hand him the money says...

"I am giving it right back to you."

"What??"

"Yeah...integrity. Its worth alot more than money. You took my handshake as a binding contract at hardees and did not need someone to hold any money. In losing, you kept your word and that is rare, especially in this hobby. Integrity and honesty between two men, especially one of your generation, is rare and is worth more than any money you can give me."

"wow...i really dont know what to say."

"Just realize that your word and your name is worth more than winning any race. And that next time I am in town, I expect a rematch for fun."

"Thank you...for the lesson and definatly on the rematch!"

(his wife) "BTW, nice car"

"Thank you again!"

Needless to say i went home that night a little stunned and a little changed as a person. To see a real life example of the worth of money compared to the worth of morality and integrity was for lack of better words, refreshing in this town. Just thought it was definatly a story worth telling.

Hey man, good story. Props to you for keeping your word, and to him for being cool (an woopin' your *** to represent the viper :-) jk).

Thats really cool. And a good example of how it always to pays to keep your word and to be honest.

Was it a gen II viper or an SRT?

Good death!

Cheers
Old 09-11-2006, 10:59 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best death story I've heard in a while. Post the re-match when you get that bottle filled.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:53 PM
11 Second Club

it was a newer one...04-05 i think. I raced another 04 from a dig the other day on full bottle. Beat him by 2-3 cars when i was at the top of 3rd...he then blew past me.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's awesome!!

Good to see some faith in human kind. What a nice guy and great to run with a badass car like that!
Old 09-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Im2gq4u
it was a newer one...04-05 i think. I raced another 04 from a dig the other day on full bottle. Beat him by 2-3 cars when i was at the top of 3rd...he then blew past me.

hehe, thats what happens when you race a 180mph car :-)
Old 09-11-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well a man has to know his limits. so now you know if you see a yellow viper dont mess with it
Old 09-11-2006, 10:36 PM
11 Second Club

ill go after him again. im fairly confident i can take him next time. sucks my car is good to the 1320 and no further though
Old 09-11-2006, 11:07 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take that $100 and buy some bigger pills.

Good story! If it was me, I'da kept yo SHITTTTTTTTTT!