Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

02 Camaro z28 vs 01 Mach 1 procharged

Old 09-12-2006, 11:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Camaro z28 vs 01 Mach 1 procharged

Man, I just bought an 02 camaroz28 a4, and i put a k&N fipk and loudmouth on it. I thought i was the **** rolling around in that. My friend then bought an 04 Mach 1w/ a ati procharger, borla exhaust, no cats. So he had me beat, and totally stole my thunder. I was so pissed off because i just got my car and here he goes gets a better car(I shouldnt say better, I really mean "faster"). btw my car had 30k and his had 1.1k ya very low. Another thing is. I actually purchased my car, while he got his rich as grandpa to pay cash for his, but that is another story.

Well about a week and a half goes by and we take our cars out for a little spin(also joined by a blue 350z). I fell behind because of traffic, but we were all going to get on the highway and let them loose in no mans land (Oklahoma). Ok, when i got on the highway i knew these guys already got on it and where down the road. So i get it and start to catch up. I couldnt see them for the longest time and i start to wonder. Out of no where i see these guys pulled over on the road. I originally thought they pulled over to wait for me, but i was like geez i know i was behind but not that much.

Well i pull over and go check whats going on and i notice a lot of white smoke coming from under the mach 1. Apparently as he was cruising, he decided to see how fast he could get it. 350z reported to me, that he heard a loud sound and saw a huge poof of smoke so they pulled over. We try and start it but it doesnt start (i am laughing hard on the inside).

Apparently, this guy broke a piston. The car was running too high of boost for all stock internals. The guy that owned the car before him, ownes a major car lot here in OKC (Joe Cooper). They take to his dealership, and they tell him it will cost and extra 7,000 dollars to fix it. The warranty will not cover it and the guy only owned it for a week and a half.

This goes to show, that bolt ons work very well for daily drivers. Also, any person with good wisdom will tell you, that a supercharged 281 is faster than a ls1, but the ls1 will last much longer. I would also like to remind you this car did not even have 2000 miles on it!

P.S. who has the stolen thunder now... bitch!
Old 09-12-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out the Pics

It is hard to believe that would happen to a like new car. Although he is taking it to a performance shop, to get all the major internals replaced with high performance stuff for like 5 grand. So it will be back, and prolly better than before.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

eh?

1. Why would anyone spend money on a blower and only have a 1000 miles on the clock? Sure that hadn't been fiddled with?

2. Ls1's will blow up just as easily if detonation oocurs.

3. If you buy a modded car, go get it checked out first. FI is fickle and the tune needs to be bang on, or at least on the safe side if not.

EDIT:

Not sure on the law in the US, but in the UK a dealer would still be responsible for that kind of engine failure in that time period. They would be legally bound to either rectify it, or refund the money for the vehicle. Warranty or not. For a $7k bill, its worth seeking some legal advice on it first.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:42 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by H21surfer
This goes to show, that bolt ons work very well for daily drivers.
So does having 600+rwhp for a daily driver. Bolt ons don't cut it.

Also, any person with good wisdom will tell you, that a supercharged 281 is faster than a ls1, but the ls1 will last much longer.
Now you're just making **** up.

I would also like to remind you this car did not even have 2000 miles on it!
The number of miles is irrelevant. 300bhp/ton is correct...the tune is
absolutely critical with a blown car. My guess is that it was dialed in
around 10psi on a stock, high compression, Mach1 motor and the
tune was hacked in combination with pump gas (detonation). All
that is a recipe for disaster.

Laughing at someone's demise is a great indicator of one's maturity level.

Since this isn't a kill...

**LOCKED**

Search this Thread