Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Finally EVO IX RS vs. LS1 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally EVO IX RS vs. LS1 Camaro SS

Ok here is the story. A while back my boss and I got into a disagreement about cars. I had just bought a EVO IX RS and he challenged me to a couple of races for money. I agreed and we were suppose to race a long time ago, but problems came up. But finally everything was finished with both our cars and we finally got this over with.

At 3:30AM we met up to do this. The morning shift starts at 5:00AM, and to our surprise when we get to work all of morning shift was there to watch us. I guess word got around we were finally going to race.

Anyhow we agreed to go once from a dig ($50), once from a 20mph roll ($50), and once from a 60mph roll on the 60 Freeway ($50).

Well I knew I was in a little trouble, because my numbers were much lower than I expected after the tune. My IX RS only put down 306WHP on 91 octane. Honestly I was expecting numbers in the 330WHP range, but my tuner felt it would be safe if I bought a Fuel Pump and then proceeded with further tuning, but what he didn't realize is that I had a race coming up and I needed all the power I could get. Normal IXs with my mods put down atleast 325WHP, so I was way down on power. So to make it up I put in some 100 Octane gas and bumped the boost to 24PSI from 22PSI. I felt a big difference.

His mods (LS1 SS)-
Cold Air Intake
Catback Exhaust
Thermostat (Does that even add power?)
Headers
Custom Tuning
Stock Tires
About $1,100 worth of mods

My Mods-
Drop In Air Filter
Turboback Exhaust w/ Test Pipe
Manual Boost Controller@24PSI
Custom Tuning
100 Octane
About $1,090 worth of mods

So here we go-

1st Race- Dig Race (Street Light to Street Light)
It is approx. a 1/4 mile maybe a little more. So we wait a couple of lights, there is very little traffic. The light is right next to our work complex, so everyone can see. So we let a couple of lights and cars run by while we get ready. I rev it up to 5,500 RPM and I am bumping off the launch limiter. Light turns green and I slip the clutch and get a nice launch. I pull about two cars on him from the get go, and shift into second. He is creeping up though and by third gear is a car in front, WTF? Shift into fourth gear and he still has a car on me. Hit the next light and it's over he still has a car. I f*cken lost from a dig. So freakin' embarrasing So I am down $50.

2nd Race- 20mph Roll
So here we go and I fully expected to lose this race after the dig race. So we match each others speed, let a couple of cars go by and then he lets me do the three honks. On the third honk we both take off and I jump half a car. I power shift to third and hold the lead. Shift to fourth and I start to slowly pull. I let off in 4th gear with almost a full car. After a little arguing he agrees, I won the race.

3rd Race- 60mph Roll
We now jump on the 60 Freeway, and we match each others speed. This time he does the three honks. On the third honk we both take off, he jumps a car on me. Shift into fourth gear and I even it out and we are neck and neck, and then shift to fifth gear and he slowly starts to pull. We hit speeds over 145mph and he has a car on me when he let off. So I lost, I agree to the defeat and pay him his $50.

So all in all I did well, but I wanted to use the 100 octane as the advantage, not the equalizer. Oh well you win some and lose some. Also my boss gave my car props, he said it did well for a rice burner I think I figured out what happend during the dig. I ended up taking my car to Cal Speedway drag racing and boy ran some miserable times. I think I am f*cking up during the first 1/8th mile. The car pulls hard on the back end. So I need a little more practice.

Sorry no video, thank god. Anyways, do his mods sound legit? I took him for his word because he was honest about going over $1,000. How much power would a LS1 put down with those mods? Also just for FYI, another IX with the same combination of mods and boost as mine put down 333whp to my 306WHP . For EVO owners out there, if I was making 306WHP on 91 Octane with 22PSI, how much more power would I make with 100 Octane and 24PSI?
Old 09-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

well the SS is putting down probaly anywhere from 330 - 350? my guess i dont know if its the LS1 that came from 01-02 or 98 - 00.. There is a difference.. But i doubt the octane really did anything for u.. Unless u had the car tuned for 100 octane.. but since u had it tuned while on 91 i doubt the guy did any tuning with 100 octane so there u just paid extra for nothing :p.. I always do the ol 1 psi = 10 hp.. So u bumped up 2 psi = bout 20 hp.. Sounds like u got one of the factory dogs.. That just dont push out the big numbers from start.. That is if everything on ur end is running right.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Nice death! Sounds like some good runs.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well with your mods you should be running in the 12's at Speedway (I'm guessing). I've heard the most recent iteration of the Evo is the most powerful (I had the 03 version). Is your bosses car an automatic? If so if he has a torque converter it will make a huge difference. What did you run at California Speedway? I run at that track from time to time (Right now I can't as i'm sick).

Anyways, with his mods he's probably only making 340whp. He could be lying about his mods. Just slap on some LS6 heads and you wouldn't know the difference unless you pulled them.

Good run though.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like you run a solid Evo, far from rice. I wouldn't have expected the 20mph roll kill either if he took you from a dig.

Nice runs! Next time you should race for a RAISE.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good runs....
Old 09-29-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
Sounds like you run a solid Evo, far from rice. I wouldn't have expected the 20mph roll kill either if he took you from a dig.

Nice runs! Next time you should race for a RAISE.
Yeah but if he loses what does the boss get? lol

Nice races. Suprised you pulled on him in the 2nd race. Was he an auto or m6.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:45 PM
12 Second Club

yeah, nice races!
Old 09-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

Honorable deaths, you sound like a really cool import owner by actually coming on here and posting you lost 2/3 times to an ls1. Great races, was that the 60 freeway here in SoCal?
Old 09-29-2006, 08:00 PM
Launching!

Nice deaths. Very good runs. Very surprising results, really shows how inaccurate a lot of the generalizations are in here.

The 100 octane did help. The ECU will automaticly advance timing to a certain point in the absence of knock, and 100 octane will definitely help you avoid knock compared to 91 octane **** water at 22-24 psi.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice deaths, what exactly is the RS version of the Evo? I know the MR has some carbon bits, but unfamiliar with RS...

-J
Old 09-30-2006, 12:41 AM
On The Tree

Hey I remember when you posted about the $1,000 agreement!

GLAD TO SEE SOMEONE CAME BACK AND GAVE US RESULTS! WOOO!

Dan
Old 09-30-2006, 01:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BeavermanA
Honorable deaths, you sound like a really cool import owner by actually coming on here and posting you lost 2/3 times to an ls1. Great races, was that the 60 freeway here in SoCal?
i agree, most of them probably would have come on here bragging about the second race only and leaving the rest out. nice deaths and kill!! im glad to hear there are some cool ricers out there!!!
Old 09-30-2006, 03:15 AM
Teching In

Nice runs, I thought you were never coming back with results!
Old 09-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BoOsTeDeAgLe
Nice runs, I thought you were never coming back with results!
No worries, I would of posted results no matter what. As far as Cal Speedway I'm still stuck in the 13s, seriously f*cking something up on my races from digs. I got my launch down (1.7 and 1.8 60fts) but my first to second, and second to third shift is really f*ckin' me. I need more seat time, I plan to go back to Cal Speedway on Oct. 28th.

I plan to go back and get re-tuned once I get a Fuel Pump. I have a lot of plans for my EVO IX, but I'm not doing anything (other than fuel pump) till I hit 12s. At first I was blaming Cal Speedway for my poor times, then raced a similiar EVO with similiar mods, and Wow that was embarrasing, so yeah it's me. I know the power is there, the car now and stock isn't even comparable, I just need to work on my shifting.

Yeah the bet was suppose to be a lot more money, but we came to our senses, and $150 (split three ways) sounded more sane.

I was kind of surprised about the second race too, but now just a little sad, because it shows just how bad of a drag racer I am. Anyways I'll keep at it, atleast I can launch pretty good, I know what I need to work on.

Lots of respect from me to LS1s and LS1tech.com!

If we race again one day I'll let you know, trying to get him to go out to Cal Speedway on the 28th. Take care guys.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

What rpm are you shifting at? The 1-2 should be at 7000-7100. It is weird that you lost the dig but pulled on the second. Like everyone else has said its good to see you come back and post results.

BTW just for comparison as far as adding higher octane and turning up the boost goes. I have ran a best of 11.98@115 on 92oct @21psi. Now with the same tune and mods I added some 110oct and turned the boost up to 26psi and ran a 11.78@118 with a similar '60.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:19 PM
Banned

Damn, sounds like with your mods you should have beat him on all three races. Practice makes perfect. Those Evo's are no joke! Nice kill, deaths.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

good runs, the way you set it up with the mod prices and everything i was waiting to hear the kill bragging. nice deaths
Old 09-30-2006, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lastcall190
Nice deaths, what exactly is the RS version of the Evo? I know the MR has some carbon bits, but unfamiliar with RS...

-J

The RS is the stripper version of the Evo. It doesnt have power anything, doesnt have AC, doesnt have a wing, and doesnt have a radio. It comes with the 5-spd thats in the GSR and the aluminum roof thats on the MR.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Teching In

Did you dyno on a Mustang dyno? 306whp is very weak if on a Dynojet for your mods. My buddy's stock EVO9 with just a flash put down 305whp.

Quick Reply: Finally EVO IX RS vs. LS1 Camaro SS