Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

raced an LT1 formy!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default raced an LT1 formy!!

well on the way to work, coming off the exit, i noticed somewhat of a TA type headlights right behind me. so i come off the exit, and stay on the right, and he passes me slowly and saw that it was an LT1 formy. i think his exhaust was dumped.. it sounded good. so we are on a 3 way lane. and come up to the light. im on the right, and hes on the left... i think it was a truck on the middle lane. so i put my car in regular D..i think i should have left it in OD.. so the light hits green, and i slowly roll off the line to avoid spinning and just smash all the way then i see, he didnt want to go.. so i drift to the left lane, and slow down, next thing u know i look in my rear view i see him cut over to the far lright and punch it, hes coming up really fast, so then here i am going below the speed limit just hammer it, and he must have been atleast double the speed i was going, so we both going fast as $hit.. and we stayed neck and neck.. i felt like my car was slowly gonna start to pull away..but we were neck and neck.. i only had a lid and magnaflow catback and crappy 2.73 gears.. he for sure was an M6.. but i guess i should have walked him, but remember i was going slow as hell and he was speeding up to catch up to me, and we didnt slow down. we just both got on it.. overall good fun.. still give props to the LT1 first time i ever ran one..
Old 10-02-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would've liked to see a good ol' fashioned race.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah man, we were neck and neck. but maybe it was because he was speeding up to past me, and i just nailed it right before he got next to me. but it was fun..lol..
Old 10-02-2006, 08:20 PM
Banned

He had his momentum, you were just starting to get yours.

That makes a real big difference.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah burnzilla, that was true.. his LT1 did sound good. do u think i should have just kept it in OD or D?
Old 10-03-2006, 04:14 AM
Teching In

Momentum has a hugeee advantage, its so much harder to catch someone..My friend and i were screwing around one day i was in my new 98 m6 with Borla exhaust and free mods and he has my old 94 A4 which has a CAI, Hooker Catback, and all the free mods. From a roll its so unconsistent cause he leaves before me or other way around..from a stop i havent got the whole launch good with m6 down yet so i spin forever and he takes off then finally after the 1\4 at about 100 ill reel him in hard moving probobly 15 mph faster than him. At a 30 mph punch in 2ng gear opposed to a downshift at 30 to 1st in that a4 theres a huge diffrence in the 2 motors..ls1>Lt1..just my .02. Sorry for the Novel..just bored and cant sleep.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Launching!

D or OD wouldn't make a difference unless you were racing into 4th gear.... and with 2.73s I'm sure you didn't get near 4th gear in this race. All D does is keep the car an A3 and won't let it upshift to 4th. That LT1 must have been pretty moderately modded. I ran a few LT1 fbodys and Vettes when I was bone stock and they were never able to keep up with me,at all. The fact that he kept dead even with you probably meant he was modded because even his big lead on you wouldn't help him because LS1s pull much harder up top than LT1s, you should have started to walk him. But, hey, thats nothing to be ashamed of, modded LT1s can move.