Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

300c vs c5 vette with blower

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 300c vs c5 vette with blower

I have a question my car is in the shop getting the finishing touches put on it, we are very competitive at work and one of my friends wants to run when I get my car back hopefully next month, I have an o6 300c that is having the following work done, ported heads/intake, corsa exhaust, Comp cam (KRC 220 Non MDS cam, KRC ECU/Cam flash krcperformance.com), Kook long tube headers and high flow cats, forged engine with trick flow rods and pistons, and a 250-300 shot of N20, I had the quaife differential put in as well and the hotchkis Stage 1 TV S System.

His car is an 05 vette with a blower (don't know anything about it) and borla exhaust, Every day at work I have to listen to how he is going to mop me up in his vette, and I am just curious what is the most he can bring to the table?

Will a 300 shot shut him up or am I going to have to listen to him go on till I retire. When I get my car back I will run him anyways win/lose/ or draw. I am just curious at this point is all.

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

read the stickies!!!
Old 10-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TravisH

read the stickies!!!
My bad didn't see it the first time but since I don't have my car back I can't actually race it yet but never mind then,
Old 10-07-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get some video of this one. Your ride sounds pretty damn sweet. Depending on what else he has done he for sure has lower weight and aerodynamics on his side.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think hes gonna mop you up if he has supporting mods for that blower
Old 10-07-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

any weight reduction being done on your tank?
Old 10-08-2006, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

sorry but i think he has the advantage. sounds like you have a nice car though. good luck on the race. post the outcome afterwards a vid would also be pretty sweet.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GMmexican
any weight reduction being done on your tank?
Old 10-08-2006, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

how is your engine not going to blow, 300 shot are you nuts.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ls1wannabe
how is your engine not going to blow, 300 shot are you nuts.
Hi all sorry i don't mean to be bench racing, I am just curious what a blown vette will do, I also know that weight is not on my side either, my car comes in at 4000lbs , The engine will be fine everything in it is being replaced, my weak point right now is the transmission, eventually that will be replaced as well and then hopefully we can add another stage or up the shot even more.

So the general thought then is he should take it in the 1/4 mile, win lose or draw I will eventually find out and it's all in good, competitive fun. Thanks all for the info.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets get this straight....You are doing a Hemi powered 300 C ?? Forged motor, with heads, cam, exhaust, and a 300 shot. Hmmmmm, sounds pretty nasty for a fat bitch. Anyways you should easily make 425+ rwhp on motor, and a shot of nitrous in the 300 range should put you over 700 rwhp no problem. I am a Corvette fan all the way but if you don't blow your transmission, or intake manifold to a million pieces then you should kill him from a roll. Going to need a lot of traction to hook up that Nitrous shot. You'll smoke em at whatever speed you hit it at without the proper tire. From a dig you are going to have a hell of a time running him down in the 1/4, but I could be wrong. I have seen a lot of the big Impala SS cars on a much smaller shot of nitrous come off the line like kitten, and run across the finish line like a tiger.

Good luck even though I will be rooting for the corvette.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Is it a C5 Vette like in your title, or an '05 C6 like in your first post? If it's an blown '05, it could be centri or eaton. Either way, probably in the 5-550rwhp range, just depends on where the torque comes in. That is a lot of work to the big 4 door, but you should be in the 650-700rwhp area with the 250-300 shot. You give up 800lbs or so to the Vette. This is a big time traction race. Probably fairly even on the cars, so whoever gets it to the ground should be in front! Also depends on if the Vette is stick and how well it's driven (or if auto, does it have a higher stall converter).

Either way, like Doug says...good race. Get the video!
Old 10-08-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hey Ron, they say great minds think alike.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Hey Ron, they say great minds think alike.
Either that, or we're just equally screwed up in the head.

Still would be a race I'd like to see. That's going to be one fast cinder block.

I had one of the first Dodge Magnum R/Ts in Dallas, and it ran 13.9 with full exhaust, volant cai and jet chip (all they had at the time because of software issues, tuning just wasn't in the cards for a couple years). I sold it after 6 months and got the Vette.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BigRon77
Is it a C5 Vette like in your title, or an '05 C6 like in your first post? If it's an blown '05, it could be centri or eaton. Either way, probably in the 5-550rwhp range, just depends on where the torque comes in. That is a lot of work to the big 4 door, but you should be in the 650-700rwhp area with the 250-300 shot. You give up 800lbs or so to the Vette. This is a big time traction race. Probably fairly even on the cars, so whoever gets it to the ground should be in front! Also depends on if the Vette is stick and how well it's driven (or if auto, does it have a higher stall converter).

Either way, like Doug says...good race. Get the video!
Hi BigRon first off that is one of the sharpest vettes I have seen that you have, nice ride. I am not up on my vettes the guy told me it was an 05 C5 but I looked it up on the corvette forums, and the C5 was from 1997-2004 he said it was an 05 maybe he is just messing with me and trying to keep me from finding anything out lol.

I do know his car is an auto, anything beyond that I do not know, if he whips up on my like a red headed step child lol it does not really matter we are good friends and it is just for razzing rights anyways. I do not know what tires he plans to run but we are planning to use a BFG drag tire, I believe.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Lets get this straight....You are doing a Hemi powered 300 C ?? Forged motor, with heads, cam, exhaust, and a 300 shot. Hmmmmm, sounds pretty nasty for a fat bitch. Anyways you should easily make 425+ rwhp on motor, and a shot of nitrous in the 300 range should put you over 700 rwhp no problem. I am a Corvette fan all the way but if you don't blow your transmission, or intake manifold to a million pieces then you should kill him from a roll. Going to need a lot of traction to hook up that Nitrous shot. You'll smoke em at whatever speed you hit it at without the proper tire. From a dig you are going to have a hell of a time running him down in the 1/4, but I could be wrong. I have seen a lot of the big Impala SS cars on a much smaller shot of nitrous come off the line like kitten, and run across the finish line like a tiger.

Good luck even though I will be rooting for the corvette.
I don't blame you I wish I had a corvette myself, but the wife won't let me get one says it's not practical with kids I do plan to get one one day though before I die, just to say I had one. When I dropped my car off at the shop the guy was working on a Z06 that was getting a turbo charger the engine was in the process of being built, talk about sex on wheels. Anyways I appreciate the info thanks again.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Couple of q's.

1. Is the 300c auto? (I asuume it is) does that mean you are getting it stalled as well?

2. What engine is the 300c? 5.7 or 6.1?

If your 300c is having everything done you say then I can well believe it will be a mean mother of a setup.

As for the Vettes. Well does it have pop-up headlights or not? C5's do and C6's don't (unless the C5 has C5R style headlights).

Also do you know what type of blower it has? Maggie kits use an Eaton. They make great torque, but are not the best for HP. Most I've seen are around 500rwhp maybe a little more. Even the C6's with the 6.0 engine don't tend to make massive amounts more. This is just due to the limitations of the Eaton blower.

Centrifugal blowers like Prochargers won't make the torque but can easily make a lot more power. Typically a fairly standard setup should make 500-550rwhp. But with a built engine and the correct supporting mods 700rwhp should be possible. Although unlikely on a 346ci running pump fuel.

Unless they have something really special I think you'll have them.

BTW - Does the Corvette have an aftermarket bonnet/hood with a buldge, if so it's almost certainly a Maggie blower.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SamsonXD
Hi BigRon first off that is one of the sharpest vettes I have seen that you have, nice ride. I am not up on my vettes the guy told me it was an 05 C5 but I looked it up on the corvette forums, and the C5 was from 1997-2004 he said it was an 05 maybe he is just messing with me and trying to keep me from finding anything out lol.

I do know his car is an auto, anything beyond that I do not know, if he whips up on my like a red headed step child lol it does not really matter we are good friends and it is just for razzing rights anyways. I do not know what tires he plans to run but we are planning to use a BFG drag tire, I believe.
Thank you sir. He may not even know what he has!

Your chances are sounding better now for sure. Unless he puts an 18" rim on the back, he has no drag radials available to him (stock is 19"). I sure as hell don't think you will be beaten badly, if at all. Your setup will be wicked...4200lb car or not. Whoever gets traction first should win. If he's on stock runflats, you will kill him. If it's an '05 auto with Magnacharger (and you should know right away, because he will have changed the hood to make it fit...see bigger rise in middle as 300bhp mentioned), he's probably putting down less than 500rwhp. Also may have 2.73 gears or 3.15 (stock). Lots of variables, but either way, still fun like you say. He will probably be very shocked...should at least shut him up!
Old 10-09-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

I like the idea 300 C with a 300 shot !!! Good luck.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Couple of q's.

1. Is the 300c auto? (I asuume it is) does that mean you are getting it stalled as well?

2. What engine is the 300c? 5.7 or 6.1?

If your 300c is having everything done you say then I can well believe it will be a mean mother of a setup.

As for the Vettes. Well does it have pop-up headlights or not? C5's do and C6's don't (unless the C5 has C5R style headlights).

Also do you know what type of blower it has? Maggie kits use an Eaton. They make great torque, but are not the best for HP. Most I've seen are around 500rwhp maybe a little more. Even the C6's with the 6.0 engine don't tend to make massive amounts more. This is just due to the limitations of the Eaton blower.

Centrifugal blowers like Prochargers won't make the torque but can easily make a lot more power. Typically a fairly standard setup should make 500-550rwhp. But with a built engine and the correct supporting mods 700rwhp should be possible. Although unlikely on a 346ci running pump fuel.

Unless they have something really special I think you'll have them.

BTW - Does the Corvette have an aftermarket bonnet/hood with a buldge, if so it's almost certainly a Maggie blower.
Hi 300bhp/ton, I wish I knew those answers about his car, but you have given me away to identify some things so thanks I am going to go look closely at his car tomorrow

Mine is a 5.7L automatic, and no eventually I want to get it stalled but they don't have anything out like that at the moment, soon hopefully. As a side note my wife is from England as well we met when I was stationed over there years ago. Lovely little place to vist.