Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

An Evo got its wings this morning...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 12:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Default An Evo got its wings this morning...

On the way to work today I took I-80 out to rt 5 and into Silvis. As I was getting on I-80 I see this blue euro car but it doesn't have any badges.. really clean car, fat tires and not a single sticker (VERY NICE CAR)... It wasn't until I passed it that I saw the front end and realized what the car was.

We paced until we hit the rt 5 exit and he followed me down (~80mph through the first curve and ~65-70mph thru the last two tight bends) and he could have easily passed me in the process.... as he rolled out next to me I gave him a thumbs up and he returned it. Followed through traffic a bit and I ended up behind him at the first stop lights before the tracks. He took off slower than I thought and rolled into it. By the time I nailed the gas he was pulling and pulling damn hard. After a moment of not really moving...it was about 60mph when it started to look like he wasn't ripping away on me at rediculous speed. (sidenote below regarding my clutch) then he hit the brakes hard (cop ahead of us) and slowed down. Had about 6 car lengths before I got to 60mph so I just gave up just before I saw his brake lights. I rolled up and talked to him for a few seconds and he said he had cams,intercooler,yada yada.. I confessed I was stock and he would easily whoop my *** from the next light. I got on it a little bit and cut ahead of him (in behind the cop) and down the ramp into Silvis.

If you are out there..sweet car.

Now about my damn clutch. As some of you know I have an 01 Z28 which came with the Z06 Clutch... It sticks just fine and if I put it in 6th and nail the gas it doesn't slip on me. However when I took of after the Evo today I ripped through first and my RPMs shot up... when I hit 2nd gear my RPMs shot up and I seemed to be half spinning the tires and half burning the clutch (glazed maybe?)... its been doing it a lot from 1 to 2 shifts when I am ripping on it hard and have a lot of tire spin going. If the clutch isn't messed up then its just my asshat driving skillz (or lack thereof)

Thoughts?
Old 10-18-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely sounds like your clutch slipping, if your flooring it and the rpms are going up and the car isnt really moving your clutch is going out. As for the Evo, when I had the basic mods + cams etc, I could pull Z28's, SS's, WS6's and Cobras on the freeway (stock of course) Anyways nice run.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks for the reply... I guess I will start reading up on clutches...