Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

DSM What?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 12:32 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DSM What?

let me first say my life has been incredibly boring lately. my tentative apartment in philly is STILL under renovation, so i have to live at home and commute to college every day until this apartment, now almost 3 months past the original completion date, is finished. so, i'm away from my friends at school and all my old high school friends are away at their colleges. yup, my life has been extremely boring lately.

so friday night, i go hang out at pretty much my only really close high school friend who is still around's house. he's pretty much the only person i've been hanging out with lately. well, we're sitting around thinking of something to do, and yea, we can't think of a damn thing. he decides he wants to go take a drive. he has a V6 dodge dakota, so needless to say, we take my car.

let me say something: i never street race. not because i'm totally against it, but because NO ONE ever tries. i never come across a single car when i'm driving alone. i've seriously gotten into 1 race in my life - a stupid dodge ram V8 that was pissing me off and peeling out at lights next to me. EXCEPT when this one specific friend is in my car. somehow someone always tries screwing with me. so we pull out of his driveway, drive a mile down the road and hit a red light.

me: "you know what man, how come no one ever tries to race me in my car? the ONLY time i ever get races is when i'm with you. what's up with that?"

him: "i just give off that vibe. people know i'm out and look for me. if you wanna find something tonight, we'll probably have to hunt for a while."

i make a left at the traffic light onto the pike. literally 30 seconds later, what flys up on my ***? some eclipse - with numbers on his door. he was obviously coming straight home from atco raceway he pulls like 2 or 3 cars ahead of me and hits the brakes, pulls back up, hits the brakes, etc.

him: "he's ******* with you man, get 'em!"

so i roll down my window, and what do i hear? *lawnmower rev* *psssshhhhh*

me: "oh ****, he's turboed."

well, none of these races were particularly organized. it was ~9pm, there was absolutely no traffic. he basically just hits it. i follow suite and proceed to blow by him. he tries to fly by me. denied.

well, we finally roll into town to the main intersection next to an eckerd drug store. we get the red light. first off, i look over to give him a thumbs up, but he won't make eye contact with me. he's too busy staring straight ahead, brake-stalling the car with one hand on the wheel like Joe Cool. i can't stand when people won't acknowledge you this didn't stop his girlfriend from looking at me though (not very good looking, nothing to mention here). i refused to race here as first off, it's the busiest intersection in town (even though it's still not that busy, small town) and eckerd sets off my radar detector. it's just not smart to race there. that doesn't stop the guy in the eclipse with his *blah*-looking girlfriend from peeling out like a jackass. i don't follow.

i catch him at the next light exiting town, though. then we hit it. i race from 0-50 and he's a few cars back. maybe he wasn't racing on that one? or he just sucks.

we finally line up for real down the road. we're both neck and neck at 50 mph - one of my worst dead spots (2.73's, A4). at this point, it's painfully clear that this guy is slow as *****. he hits it, i let him pull 2 cars on me before i hit it and i pass him at ~ 90mph. the icing on the cake? as soon as we were passing him, my buddy looks over and watches the guy miss a shift. the whole car jerks over.

it was fun. a nice adrenaline rush and all, but damn, my car doesn't have much done to it at all and i was blowing by this eclipse like it was standing still. the races were from ~50-90, 0-50...short races and i was putting cars on him that fast with him getting the jump.

for all you DSM guys out there, how hard is it to get your car to even move? i mean, this guy was obviously coming straight from the track, meaning he was likely "prepped" as much as he'll ever be, meaning his car was running at full or at least close to full potential. we both had 1 passenger each. how fast is a turboed eclipse anyway? i was not impressed at all.

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 11-13-2006 at 12:40 AM.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if he was burning out like a jackass im assuming its a FWD which with and intake and exhaust usually run mid 14's at about 95-98 mph.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:43 AM
TECH Resident

He said he had a turbo... So he obviously has more than an intake and exhaust... and is it just me or did they stop making formulas in 2000? I thought for sure they did, but maybe i got the wrong info somewhere.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesnt suprise me that you won like that. I've raced one with a intake and exhaust, before i had my intake and cutout and i was up by a car and a half bye 80.

Me + LT1 with A4 and 2.73s = no bueno launch or bad driver.

anyways good kill.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Good Kill. I thought my kill stories were long
Old 11-13-2006, 08:30 AM
Launching!

you couldn't have lost lol
i beat a Talon TSI AWD when i was Bone stock (down to the dirty *** paper air filter) with bald tires from a dig

just like everything else
they arnt fast unless they're moded
Old 11-13-2006, 09:36 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by BirdmanLS1
and is it just me or did they stop making formulas in 2000? I thought for sure they did, but maybe i got the wrong info somewhere.
you got the wrong info somewhere
Old 11-13-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

hey you said your aperment is in philly where at in pa do you live
Old 11-13-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

sweet kill man! i enjoyed reading it and it was very descriptive! i love when those kinds of cars try and play. i've had a Saturn do that to me before and he could barely speak english. it's always a fun time, isn't it?!
Old 11-13-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Junkie

2G DSMs are really slow, there T25s with full boltons can maybe push 280hp

1Gs have 14Bs, depending on the setup 14Bs can be very fast and run high to mid 12s

DSMs dont really have any lawnMower sound at all, unless you raced a NON Turbo That was turboed thats a 420A motor out of a Neon and its junk.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:33 AM
TECH Junkie

If your going to be on the look out" for imports

DSMs should be somthing to think twice about, they arent hondas so dont down play them.

Stock Turbo 2Gs are really slow but non one really leaves them that stock nowa days

And a BOV means nothing, most ricers" Have Blow off valves for the cool sound
Old 11-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Yo Chocotaco, what college in Philly are you? Is it the Edge that you're waiting on being completed?
Old 11-13-2006, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369

for all you DSM guys out there, how hard is it to get your car to even move? i mean, this guy was obviously coming straight from the track, meaning he was likely "prepped" as much as he'll ever be, meaning his car was running at full or at least close to full potential. we both had 1 passenger each. how fast is a turboed eclipse anyway? i was not impressed at all.
Not that hard to get them to move at all it just depends on who you run into and what they have done. I have seen far more cars go to the track not even close to prepared than I see "prepped" cars go to the track.

Without knowing specifics it is impossible to say what the car was capable of. It could have been 10 sec car with a bad driver it could have been a bone stock 15 second car.

Either way missing gears he got what was comming to him.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:38 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by fuseone
hey you said your aperment is in philly where at in pa do you live
if this apartment ever gets finished it'll be near the corner of 41st and chestnut.
Originally Posted by Riz88
Yo Chocotaco, what college in Philly are you? Is it the Edge that you're waiting on being completed?
i go to drexel. main campus is around 32nd-33rd and market. i'm waiting on a single apartment being renovated. 3 bedroom/1 bath.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:47 PM
Launching!

If he had a loud BOV he is not recirulating it. Meaning that he is either very highly modded with engine management equpiment or a jackass. Nice kill either way

DSMs in stock form were a wonderful alternative to 5.0s and the old Small blocks etc. By todays standard they are just not fast stock. The 2Gs really just did not get any faster despite being rated at 210HP instead of 195 for the 1Gs. On the other hand, much like 5.0s, they are pretty damn cheap to obtain and run if you know what you are doing.

For a 2G to hang with say an M6 from a fair roll speed at a normal altitude is going to take full bolt ons. Not just intake and exsaust. Better IC pipes would be a must. Maybe better IC and turbo. The T28 is a great stock appearing turbo that is far superior to a T25 and could lay down 300WHP or more. I figure a 280HP 2G could beat a stock LS1 from a fair roll. More aggressive gearing. But that takes a bit of doing. Nothing insane, but more than some kid working at Pep Boys will do.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Hes a punk ricer if you can hear his bov

What happens is, you pull the rec tube so the bov can vent, making the louder noise"
But now your running un meterd air, and ******* with the A/F

Making you run rich part throttle and the car running shitty
Old 11-13-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fun read, nice kill!

A4 on 2.73s = sucks. We should do a GP on a torque converter and gears.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:05 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
Fun read, nice kill!

A4 on 2.73s = sucks. We should do a GP on a torque converter and gears.
i like 'em. i'm getting something like 25mpg this tank and it's 50/50 driving. i've been getting terrible mileage lately - 18.5 mpg - but i've been going to the same gas station for 2 months straight. i went to a different one the other day and my mpg is up like 6 or 7 mpg. i'm getting the best mpg ever this tank and i'm not doing highway runs for more than 5-10 miles

2.73's FTW.

i would like a converter though
Old 11-13-2006, 09:12 PM
10 Second Club

your all ******* "dsm idiots". sounds like you encountered a fwd 2g- slow pos dsm.

you wanna line your ******* 13.5 hoagie up with a dsm, let me know. bring your cash and your ky jelly.

converter in sig for sale

and yeah 2.73's SUCK
Old 11-13-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BirdmanLS1
and is it just me or did they stop making formulas in 2000? I thought for sure they did, but maybe i got the wrong info somewhere.
They stopped making Formula WS6's in 2000, but the base Formula kept on going.