Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

03 Cobra vs Modded LT1 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 04:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 03 Cobra vs Modded LT1 Camaro

Well its been a while since Ive been able to mess around, my boost has been too high for this crappy 91 octane so I havent been able to play. Well tonight we got the new pulley on and the car feels great. We (wife and I) head out just to cruise around a bit and it was getting pretty boring, so were almost ready to head home and a White Camaro pulls up. It didnt have any badges on it so I thought it was a V6, then he slows down and rev's, it sounded pretty mean, so I speed up and notice it has a cowl hood on it. As I get next to him he takes off, I was in 6th so he pulled for a while then I started reeling him in and caught up to him and then we pulled off the freeway. I had to get some gas so he pulled in behind me. I asked him what he had done, since the car was pretty quick. He said, heads, cams, roller rockers, exhaust and some other stuff and he asked about my car so we bs'ed for a bit, very cool guy then we left. We get on the freeway and head the same way, well this time im ready. We are pretty even, with him ahead a bit and he floors it, I hit it and instantly start to pull away hard, I put maybe 7-8 cars on him then just let off since it would have only got worse. Anyways it was cool to finally be able to get on the car again, and have a good race with a cool guy.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:40 AM
Teching In

Hey Pete, was this on Mchenry, and is this the best the car has ever felt? You running 17lbs with the intake? Pinging? Sorry for all the questions, lol.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:34 AM
TECH Regular

It was on the freeway, yeah we got the new pulley on so its about 17 psi. The car doesnt seem to be pinging anymore and runs pretty strong, although I did feel the clutch slip pretty bad once when I downshifted to 3rd to run him. Its cool my new clutch will be here Wed, lol then you never know maybe I'll save a few hundred #'s when/if I do the solid axle and everything else.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:35 AM
Teching In

You dont like the smooth ride of the IRS? I personally would try to keep it, but its your car. You still looking into that alky injection?
Old 12-09-2006, 10:24 AM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Good kill. Drive a Cobra with a solid and THEN decide. I sent my IRS to the salvage yard and love the difference but it is a bit bumpier. Actually, just drive a Mustang GT and see how it feels. If im not mistaken I saved 120 lbs with the swap.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nice job Pete.....that is exactly why I would rather race teh Z06.....the beating wouldn't be so bad on me...LOL As Jayplay says....drive a solid and see. Did you get to drive my Mach when it was there?

Great looking 10th BTW. I love it.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

No I didnt drive the Mach, lol but dont underestimate our Z06 When I had my ported eaton making 490 whp the damn Z06 was still pulling away from it pretty good. My wife actually raced a Procharged 98 Cobra one night on the freeway and pulled him pretty good, its only a matter of time now too until it gets heads/cam and a few other things.

As for the solid rear end we'll see. I wouldnt say its a 100% definite yet but maybe, it all depends on what we decide to do with the car as far as an upcoming event
Old 12-09-2006, 03:38 PM

Hey Quick, check it out.

Finally got some pics. Gotta love Kenne Bell.

Car runs so nice now.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Regular

Very nice Jay...Trying to make me jealous with that 2.8? Lol, I was actually looking at a 2.6 the other day, but I think I'll just add a few more things (cams, longtubes) then maybe go TT.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
Very nice Jay...Trying to make me jealous with that 2.8? Lol, I was actually looking at a 2.6 the other day, but I think I'll just add a few more things (cams, longtubes) then maybe go TT.

I dont think the 2.6 OR the 2.8 will REALLY outperform the 2.2's and 2.4's until a new MAF set up comes out, so when I get bored with this I would consider a turbo or a C6 ZO6...and a turbo. I wouldnt bother with cams or LT's personally since you were going to add nitrous. My .02
Old 12-09-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

No I didnt drive the Mach, lol but dont underestimate our Z06 When I had my ported eaton making 490 whp the damn Z06 was still pulling away from it pretty good. My wife actually raced a Procharged 98 Cobra one night on the freeway and pulled him pretty good, its only a matter of time now too until it gets heads/cam and a few other things.

As for the solid rear end we'll see. I wouldnt say its a 100% definite yet but maybe, it all depends on what we decide to do with the car as far as an upcoming event

Oh, I know. I only made the comment Thursday and above, because if I had any snow ball's chance it hell....it definitely wouldn't be against the KB term. And well.......I've told you before, your wife just drive's better than you.

BTW - let me know if you want to drive the mach.......I'll come up on a saturday, and you can check it out. Although, with all the badass cars at the shop, I am sure you will have several to choose from.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Regular

Haha yeah she probably does drive better than me, but as of now it doesnt matter since shes outpowered

As for driving your Mach well one of these days when you can make it up here let me know. Get any races with it yet? I know Id be out looking for them
Old 12-09-2006, 11:29 PM
TECH Regular

Jay, im no longer going the nitrous route. I think I may start looking into a methanol kit or something and be able to run 20psi daily. I just have to find a kit I like and trust.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Haha yeah she probably does drive better than me, but as of now it doesnt matter since shes outpowered

As for driving your Mach well one of these days when you can make it up here let me know. Get any races with it yet? I know Id be out looking for them

That's true..but just wait until she start's modding...then your in for it..LOL As for the 490 RWHP...that kind of confirms her having mods, that you aren't sure about....right?

No problem man. Let me know if you really want to drive it. It's the least I can do. If so, I will set up a saturday that works, and see if that is ok with you.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:41 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah even with the 490 is was disappointing to say the least. She actually raced Billy in another 03 Cobra with a ported eaton and 2.8 upper and was able to pull him too. I dont know what mods it has but the ecu is in limp mode right now the traction control ebcm went out so when we dyno'd it it dynod very low 328, weve heard once we get the ebcm replaced you'll gain like 30hp and 50 tq, so that needs to be done asap, then we'll re dyno it. You've probably seen the vid of her racing the Firehawk on SVT (Prey4Me) Hes making 448 whp and it was a pretty even race.

I dont want you to go out of your way to come up here for me to drive it, but whenever you feel the need for a road trip let me know and we'll go from there
Old 12-10-2006, 01:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah even with the 490 is was disappointing to say the least. She actually raced Billy in another 03 Cobra with a ported eaton and 2.8 upper and was able to pull him too. I dont know what mods it has but the ecu is in limp mode right now the traction control ebcm went out so when we dyno'd it it dynod very low 328, weve heard once we get the ebcm replaced you'll gain like 30hp and 50 tq, so that needs to be done asap, then we'll re dyno it. You've probably seen the vid of her racing the Firehawk on SVT (Prey4Me) Hes making 448 whp and it was a pretty even race.

I dont want you to go out of your way to come up here for me to drive it, but whenever you feel the need for a road trip let me know and we'll go from there

That's two pullied cobra's...pretty scary.

No problem man..45 minutes isn't really out of the way....let me talkt o the wife, and see what is good. I'll give you a call.