Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Tiburon vs Me

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tiburon vs Me

So... im on the way home from a friend's house about an hour and a half ago so that i can go to work at 11pm stupid graveyard shift... Anyhow, like usual before the import rides my *** for a few seconds till a lane clears, then pulls next to me. I have seen this tiburon around alot, but i was always in my beater and he always drove obnoxiously. I know he has exhaust at least, probably an intake, idk. My turn was the next light but i see it turn red so im like eh whatever, ill just run him and pull a u turn. Light turns green and we both ease into it, then i see him punch it and pull so then i proceed to punch it. I stay dead even as i try to gain traction... had to let off the throttle 3 times in first till i finally shift to second, then finally gain traction halfway through second, then instantly pull, shift to 3rd and proceed to put buslenghts on him. I pull a u turn at the next turn...then see him do the same! I guess he was pissed and wanted another shot. So i shift to second and just kinda wait for him.

I see him punch it and i wait till he has a carlength behind me then instantly stop his pull. This time it was a bit closer, but thats cause there was a car in the lane up ahead and i didnt want to get out of control so i didnt give it full throttle. Annnyways, sorry for the long post. But these tiburons arent as slow as i thought they were.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BirdmanLS1
But these tiburons arent as slow as i thought they were.
If you put bus lengths on it within a few seconds, i say that sounds about right!
Old 12-18-2006, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

lol...well it hung with me a little more from a roll... and it hung with me from 1-2 gear but i guess thats cause i was spinning the whole time . But ya... still a tiburon, lol.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:49 AM
11 Second Club

i take it that it was a GT v6?? and not the 4 cylinder one.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
i take it that it was a GT v6?? and not the 4 cylinder one.
+1, it had to be a GT. My good friend has an 04 GT V6 automatic Tiburon, and it is ridiculously slow. I have ridden in a 6 speed before and they have some pep, but are still slow as hell. My buddies 04 would get a$$raped repeatedly(4-6 cars) by a GST Eclipse with just an exhaust. My thoughts would be that if he was able to hang with you at all, he had more than exhaust done. Hell my old 2001 4.6 F-150(single cab, strait pipes, k&n) would hang with my buddies Tibby until about 40-45, then he would start pullin hard LOL. Congrats on the kill, it's fun to put obnoxious drivers in their place
Old 12-19-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

good kill. hyundai FTL. even if it managed to eek out a win.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

That guy in the Tiburon is a douche. I raced him too! Was it black and the license plate said "2quick4u" (Gayyyyyy)?? It was about three weeks ago when I was having fun with my new converter. I was looking for some rice up on West Ox, then I saw him. He kept giving it gas (jumping) the whole time, it was really annoying. I sped up away from traffic and we were side by side for like a minute. I was waiting for him to honk, but he didn't so I just took off. He took off the same time and it was a turd. We did a few more little races. He pulled into a gas station so I did a u-turn at the next light. Then I saw him going back to other way with me. We finally got side by side at a light, and he jumped over two lanes and went into a shopping center. Sure wasn't 2 quick for me.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

their a high 15 second car i watched a modded one with alot of carbon fiber body parts/exhaust/cai/ and in the 1/8 he ran a best of 10.3@70 mph
Old 12-19-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

I owned a Tiburon before I got my Formula. I had every NA mod you can buy for it. IM, CAI, Headers, Exhaust, motor mounts, shifter. It dynoed 171fwhp/175fwtq. Not too shabby for what it is. Ran a 14.7 at the track.

Definately will not compete with an LS1 f-body, but for its class, it doesnt lose often. The only sport compact that I lost to at the track was an SRT-4 and a K-pro RSX.

The Tiburon crowd is pretty cool, except for the douchebag you ran into
Old 12-19-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

There's an old guy in his 60's with an S/C'd Tibbie GT. Nice little sleeper.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

i raced a v6 tibby with my v6 extended cab 5 speed s10 before i supercharged it and we were dead even 0-90. It was a friend of mine. There not that fast stock.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

i believe they are 190 or 200 hp stock cause i remember it was ball park the same as my s10
Old 12-19-2006, 09:04 PM
11 Second Club

no they are rated at 171hp and 181 tq or something like that i believe....and thats at the crank
Old 12-19-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ralls
That guy in the Tiburon is a douche. I raced him too! Was it black and the license plate said "2quick4u" (Gayyyyyy)?? It was about three weeks ago when I was having fun with my new converter. I was looking for some rice up on West Ox, then I saw him. He kept giving it gas (jumping) the whole time, it was really annoying. I sped up away from traffic and we were side by side for like a minute. I was waiting for him to honk, but he didn't so I just took off. He took off the same time and it was a turd. We did a few more little races. He pulled into a gas station so I did a u-turn at the next light. Then I saw him going back to other way with me. We finally got side by side at a light, and he jumped over two lanes and went into a shopping center. Sure wasn't 2 quick for me.
YES... well i know it was a dark color, pretty sure it was black, but it never got ahead of me so i didnt get a chance to look at his plates . Ya he didnt want to honk with me either... at the light he just kinda took off after we started rolling and after i made the u turn, he just tried givin me a flyby and i was like hell no... And ya it was the v6 gt. slow as hell... but hey at least it wasnt the 4 cylinder... i cant imagine what that would have been like...
Old 12-20-2006, 12:51 AM
Launching!

Yeah they are slow cars. I remember beating a V6 one my badly in my old stock 1990 240SX lol
Old 12-20-2006, 01:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ah, nothing i hate more than seeing obnoxious drivers and you can't do **** cuz your in your daily driver!!!!

Tiburons are actually nice, the interior holds you like a glove,
Old 12-20-2006, 06:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ravensfan
I owned a Tiburon before I got my Formula. I had every NA mod you can buy for it. IM, CAI, Headers, Exhaust, motor mounts, shifter. It dynoed 171fwhp/175fwtq. Not too shabby for what it is. Ran a 14.7 at the track.

Definately will not compete with an LS1 f-body, but for its class, it doesnt lose often. The only sport compact that I lost to at the track was an SRT-4 and a K-pro RSX.

The Tiburon crowd is pretty cool, except for the douchebag you ran into
My friend is totally dissapointed with his 04. The little bitty V6 in those things really doesn't do anything, especially compared to other V6 cars, maybe Hyundai will make them more formitible in the future. His has been back to the dealership about 15 times for **** screwin up as well. That said the 6 speed I test drove just for ***** and giggles was a blast to drive, just slower than **** LOL.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

do they got VVT in those things? seems like their lagging in power, hell you can get one of them sante fays with up to 240hp w/ the VVT now
Old 12-20-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
do they got VVT in those things? seems like their lagging in power, hell you can get one of them sante fays with up to 240hp w/ the VVT now

Not sure, I dont think my buddies 04 has it, but the new ones might. They definately need to do something to it, that 2.7 6 banger sucks ***.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Teching In

not sure about 04, but all the new hyundais have vvt. my 07 sonata has the 3.3 and makes 233crank hp. they need to put that motor in the tib. Its pretty stout for what it is.