Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My '99 T/A vs. '06 ZO6 (death to me of course)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default My '99 T/A vs. '06 ZO6 (death to me of course)

Had my first run in w/ a ZO6 on the highway today. My wife and I were cruising around w/ the t-tops off and I see a lemans blue metallic Z with a black hood and plate that said something about 06 ZO6. I got in front of him right before the road became 1 lane and he followed me a couple miles (around town) so I got on the highway to see if he would follow me. Luckily he did! First off he was not stock, as if it mattered, his exhaust was pretty freakin' loud plus his hood was raised like it is for when the vette guys get a magnuson. Anyways I slow to about 55 and he pulls up next to me and I give the 3 fingers to show go on 3 and he's in So I shift down to 2nd at 55 honk it off and go. Right on the 3rd honk I hear him kick it down (not sure if he was auto or not) and we're off.

I keep up pretty good the small amount of time I have left in 2nd as he's slowly pulling past me and he's got about a car on me when I shift to 3rd. He then instantly puts another car on me while I shift and then keeps pulling away from me all the way through 3rd until I shut it down around 115 or so as the gap b/w me and the car in front of me gets small quick! By this time he had about 6 cars or maybe more on me, hard to tell when it's such a big gap All I could say was it was baaaaad asssss! I had no intention of winning and I really just wanted to see what the Z could do. I catch back up to him and give the thumbs up. He gave me the shaky hand symbol you give when you're saying something was "so - so" Oh well, he seemed pretty cool.

So moral of the story is:
T/A = about 3700 lbs (had a passenger) with around 400 at the wheels plus t-tops off
ZO6 = much less weight and much more to the ground
Overall = to the Z, now I just need some nitrous and it would've been much closer

Last edited by Red99TA; 01-14-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Death
Old 01-14-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should have known better than to mess with a freaking 06 ZO6
Old 01-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Launching!

No such thing as an automatic Z06 (at least not without a painful swap).

Sounds like you may have encountered a fellow member, M3Corvette. Hopefully he'll see this and confirm it was him! If so, he puts down about 520rwhp. The carbon/black hood and VA location sounds like his.

Good run!
Old 01-14-2007, 04:09 PM
11 Second Club

You know that should have been me right along side you this afternoon. Sorry about what happened. I failed to realize my wife had to work. Maybe one evening this upcoming week we will be able to get to gether. Sounds like it was a good race though. On the Z06's side. lol. Good death.

Lane
Old 01-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigRon77
No such thing as an automatic Z06 (at least not without a painful swap).

Sounds like you may have encountered a fellow member, M3Corvette. Hopefully he'll see this and confirm it was him! If so, he puts down about 520rwhp. The carbon/black hood and VA location sounds like his.

Good run!
Yes, that was me Ron. Red99TA, thanks for the fun. I was just out for a cruise and when I heard you coming up on me before it went to one lane, I knew you were game.

I was waving after by the way, but I was side tracked looking at your LS1TECH.com sticker on your window. I thought you might show up here. Your car looks gret man. For a 99, it shines better than my 06 vette.

OK details. I could not hear the horn over the cars, that's why I waited for you to hit and then I followed and that's when you heard me gear down. I did not gear down untill you were hitting it because I was trying to hear the horn. No such luck, and to think I want the car louder. I let off a little bit when I was about two cars ahead because I saw the car up ahead in your lane and did not want to get too crazy with the closure rate on traffic.

Again, thanks and it was fun. Your car looked and sounded great and hope to see you around again soon. Just so you know the car that was driving like a hut behind us, as he was passing he slowed next to me to yell "that was cool and sounded like an earthquake". I guess we made some noise! Scott
Old 01-14-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

Well that makes me feel even better to hear that you let off at 2 cars up ...I was in it at least until you were about 5-6 cars ahead before I even noticed the car in front of me...not paying attention. Thanks for wasting the gas on a lowly f-bod Yeah the reason I thought you might have been an auto (not too smart on the Z's) was the fact that I didn't hear you shift down until I hit it after the 3rd honk. That's funny that you couldn't hear...I had my cutout open and your car was pretty damn loud too. I did notice that VW nut behind me that flew up next to you. I thought he wanted to race you or something...now that would have been funny! Thanks for the good race and honestly that's the first time I've raced someone in the past 2 years since I cammed the car. I don't drive it very often and don't go out looking for races either. My wife even enjoyed it! Before we got to the highway I was telling her, "alright you thought my car was fast, just wait until this ZO6 flies by me while I'm at WOT"
Old 01-14-2007, 05:03 PM
Launching!

I knew that was you! Way too coincidental for it not to be.

Nice when two forum members can meet by accident and when racing....
Old 01-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

Haha, good thing this isn't a ricer forum. Otherwise Red99TA would be claiming he edged the Z06 by a nose only to have the owner chime in and call BS . Nice run guys.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:15 PM
11 Second Club

good death....my buddys got one...its a animal..does 100 in only 2nd gear
Old 01-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Red99TA
Well that makes me feel even better to hear that you let off at 2 cars up ...I was in it at least until you were about 5-6 cars ahead before I even noticed the car in front of me...not paying attention. Thanks for wasting the gas on a lowly f-bod Yeah the reason I thought you might have been an auto (not too smart on the Z's) was the fact that I didn't hear you shift down until I hit it after the 3rd honk. That's funny that you couldn't hear...I had my cutout open and your car was pretty damn loud too. I did notice that VW nut behind me that flew up next to you. I thought he wanted to race you or something...now that would have been funny! Thanks for the good race and honestly that's the first time I've raced someone in the past 2 years since I cammed the car. I don't drive it very often and don't go out looking for races either. My wife even enjoyed it! Before we got to the highway I was telling her, "alright you thought my car was fast, just wait until this ZO6 flies by me while I'm at WOT"
Hey, I had fun. If your wife is like mine, she would be telling me "don't even think about it". Did you have the car repainted or is it just that clean looking. Mine started getting road rash at about 400 miles on it (track down in SC). I do use it as a daily driver. Hope to see you around again and I'll let take the Z for a spin, get you hooked and you'll buy one to go with the F-body!
Old 01-14-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

Just noticed your Z trap 128... What do they trap stock? My car only has 57K on the clock and it's the original paint (on most of it that is). I hit a deer a little over a year ago so the driver's side fender and hood were replaced so that paint is newer. I also just polished/waxed it yesterday after I noticed a bunch of surface scratches in the clear on the fenders after the 90/90 install.

Last edited by Red99TA; 01-14-2007 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigRon77
I knew that was you! Way too coincidental for it not to be.

Nice when two forum members can meet by accident and when racing....
Ron, I was chating with the guy (Paul) who you raced about a week ago. He was driving an 03 Cobra. He posted about you guys having a close race and everyone called BS on him. I posted to back up what he said after reading one of your posts on here. Alot of people were surprised a vette guy was backing a Cobra guy. Credit where credit is due. Sounds like you guys had fun. Later. Scott
Old 01-14-2007, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Red99TA
Just noticed your Z trap 128... What do they trap stock?
My highest was 131 range to date, but I still knocked off a 127 stock. The car is hard to launch, so wheel spin would well effect the mph. Stock, most are seeing 125 range.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

There goes Scott again, messing with other people. What did I tell you about that Scott? Now I am gonna have to come down there after my headers and cam and show you that VY is the fastest color..

Good kill man..
Old 01-14-2007, 06:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by M3Corvette
Ron, I was chating with the guy (Paul) who you raced about a week ago. He was driving an 03 Cobra. He posted about you guys having a close race and everyone called BS on him. I posted to back up what he said after reading one of your posts on here. Alot of people were surprised a vette guy was backing a Cobra guy. Credit where credit is due. Sounds like you guys had fun. Later. Scott
That's awesome. I thought he might post somewhere, just don't know the Ford forums too well. I hated we could only do short punches, then a cop when it finally opened up! Also sucked that I was on my nitrous tune and down 30rwhp! He was really cool. Where did he post...was it here?
Old 01-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Man 400 rwhp fbodies and 500 rwhp Z06's..I live in the wrong place man..LOL

That sounds like it was fun and kool how you guys both posted up..

To the fbody. congradulations on running a ( Im SURE) dream car and holding your own. races against cars like that will get your blood pumping quickly..

To the Z06..Probally nice to finaly meet some one who was able to give you a half decent run....Amongst all the 230-350 rwhp Hey i think im so fast wannabees..400 rwhp when driven properly can actually pose a small challange..

Sweet
Old 01-14-2007, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Killemall
400 rwhp when driven properly can actually pose a small challange..

Sweet
Not to sound like an *******, but there is no challenge when a F body has 400 rwhp and a Z06 has 520 rwhp like Scott's.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fadi
Not to sound like an *******, but there is no challenge when a F body has 400 rwhp and a Z06 has 520 rwhp like Scott's.
Agreed. 400rwhp is a cake walk for a stock C6Z let alone one
with 520rwhp...assuming we're not talking about a gutted out
racecar.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fadi
It's still fun. I bet he would give a slow Yellow Z a run for your money!! Can't wait to see what you do with the cam in it Fadi.