Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Friend's 04 SRT 4 vs. 03 Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 08:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Friend's 04 SRT 4 vs. 03 Mach 1

I wasn't in the car, but I was chasing in a 94 Mustang GT , but anyway my friend got the race on video, but is paranoid and won't let me post it, so I thought I would let you guys know what the outcome was anyway. The SRT 4 has an AEM intake, wastegate, BOV, Boost controler, and the factory exhaust just taken off. He says he is running somewhere around 18-19psi. The Mach was a 5 speed, and had a k&n filter, flowmasters, short throw, and custom dyno tune.

We see this 03 Torch Red Mach cruising around and my friend asks to do a highway roll and he agrees. The SRT's passenger was filming(Mach had just the driver). They get on the highway and slow down to approx. 45-50mph(both in 2nd) and honk it off. The Mach 1 jumps out 3/4 of a car from the start and stays there through 2nd, as they hit 3rd the SRT starts to gain and by 4th pulls ahead a nose. By the time my buddy let off at 120-125 he was exactly 1 car ahead of the Mach 1. My friend was stoked for sure, and the Mach 1 guy was cool as hell, we all pulled over and talked for awhile. They set up dig race for when the Mach gets 4.10's and the SRT 4 gets his BFG dr's. I'll let y'all know what happens, his SRT is pretty quick, he wants to see what will happen with a stock/stockish LS1.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

with his mods, the srt4 should be pretty close to a stock ls1, atleast until topend. when the ls1 gets a few mods done, then it would be different.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LastLT1
with his mods, the srt4 should be pretty close to a stock ls1, atleast until topend. when the ls1 gets a few mods done, then it would be different.
That's what I was thinkin too. He is a damn good driver too, so maybe he can edge one out. It sucks tho, cuz there aren't that many around here. The ones that are will most definately smoke his ***.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

I cant believe the srt-4 didnt pull it by more than that the mach 1 must of had more then listed.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SLP99sscamaro
I cant believe the srt-4 didnt pull it by more than that the mach 1 must of had more then listed.
I agree, those SRT4 cars are pretty nasty from a roll with any kind of mods.

SilverStang00-I think your buddies SRT4 would have the same result against a stock/stockish LS1...The mods on the Mach1 would 9 out of 10 times put it just a ahead of a stock LS1 and pretty close to a lid/catback LS1.

A lot of guys are going to get pissed at me for this (because I hate it when people say this on expensive *** exotics) but the Mach1 owner still gets to drive home in a Mach1 (sorry fellas I'm just not a big fan of the SRT4 look...just my opinion)
Old 01-22-2007, 12:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

No, the Mach had those mods, we all checked it out, and the guy was on the level. As for the SRT 4, he needs a tune badly. Once he gets it and runs the 19-21psi on a non-factory tune, it will be alot faster. He is also getting new injectors as well. I think as of right now, he would be dead even, maybe a little ahead of a stock LS1. Once he gets his car tuned, etc., he should be able to handle stock/LIGHTLY modded(lid/exhaust) ones pretty good. The car really surprises me, it's not my preference, but for the price of the car and the ease of modification it's really amazing when you think about it.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh, and just so you guys know, the Mach was claiming 300rwhp with his mods and a tune. It sounded kind of high to me, but he got it dyno'ed by a really respectable local shop, and he seemed like he was telling the truth. Most Machs with similar mods dyno 10-15 rwhp less, but I dont know.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds about right to me. Modded Skittles are no joke (if done right) from a roll. Unfortunately though, skittles are only good from a roll (typically) with nice power. To me, that is just not the prefered way of racing.

two things: that mach wouldn't need gears to beat it from a dig. It could do it right now. Mainly, cause the skittle will have traction problems.
#3: 300, is high for his mods......but, dyno's weather, and dyno operator are always going to vary. I agree.....285-290 is more the norm for that, even with the dyno tune.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SilverStang00
Oh, and just so you guys know, the Mach was claiming 300rwhp with his mods and a tune. It sounded kind of high to me, but he got it dyno'ed by a really respectable local shop, and he seemed like he was telling the truth. Most Machs with similar mods dyno 10-15 rwhp less, but I dont know.
300 rwhp is achievable with those mods + an aggressive tune.

My Mach dynoed 286 rwhp with a drop-in K&N, no tune & everything else 100% stock.

Another thing to consider - Did the Mach owner say if 300 rwhp was SAE or STD corrected?

I've seen tons of 300+ rwhp dyno sheets from near-stock Mach 1's that were STD corrected & run in decent temp/humidity air.

BTW - Good Kill to the original poster.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ponygt65
Sounds about right to me. Modded Skittles are no joke (if done right) from a roll. Unfortunately though, skittles are only good from a roll (typically) with nice power. To me, that is just not the prefered way of racing.

two things: that mach wouldn't need gears to beat it from a dig. It could do it right now. Mainly, cause the skittle will have traction problems.
#3: 300, is high for his mods......but, dyno's weather, and dyno operator are always going to vary. I agree.....285-290 is more the norm for that, even with the dyno tune.
Yeah, he more than likely would beat him from a dig right now, thats why my friend is not racing anyone from a dig until he gets some DR's. Once the Mach has 4.10's and the SRT has some good tires, I think it will be close. My friend can launch the hell out of that car, and he has only owned FWD cars, so he knows his stuff.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SilverStang00
Yeah, he more than likely would beat him from a dig right now, thats why my friend is not racing anyone from a dig until he gets some DR's. Once the Mach has 4.10's and the SRT has some good tires, I think it will be close. My friend can launch the hell out of that car, and he has only owned FWD cars, so he knows his stuff.
Sounds cool......I like skittles. They just have a bad rep from the owners. Kind of like S197 mustangs....they tend to be arrogant.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Angus66
300 rwhp is achievable with those mods + an aggressive tune.

My Mach dynoed 286 rwhp with a drop-in K&N, no tune & everything else 100% stock.

Another thing to consider - Did the Mach owner say if 300 rwhp was SAE or STD corrected?

I've seen tons of 300+ rwhp dyno sheets from near-stock Mach 1's that were STD corrected & run in decent temp/humidity air.

BTW - Good Kill to the original poster.
Wut eva....what do you know Angus?....LOL How's it going? Registry treatin' ya well?
Old 01-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

Nice kill,and when I think about cars I dont think about owners I think of how kick butt the car is. My self I like all the srt line up and wouldnt mind having a little srt-4 to beat on later in life.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

Wut eva....what do do you know Angus?....LOL
I know very little, but the medication is helping & I remember more & more everyday...

How's it going? Registry treatin' ya well?
I'm doing OK except for the usual "Winter-Time-No-Racing-Blues".

The registry is experiencing a bit of drama & bickering lately - I guess I'm not the only one who's bored and eager for some Spring 1/4-mile fun...