Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

raced WRX

Old 03-22-2007, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raced WRX

pulled up right next to a WRX 2day at a red light in st. louis. i looked over just to see what was up and didn't get a look back, so i figured it was a no go. but as i pulled away from the light and away from him a little, he started to give it some gas, so i layed my foot to the floor at about 2500 rpms in 2nd gear and pulled about 2 cars ahead and it stayed about that length. i could hear his turbo whistling and as i looked in the mirror i saw him slam on his brakes (we're doing about 65 in a 40) b/c of the cop car that was 2 cars in front of me! after about shitting my pants, i slow down and let the WRX pass with the mutual thumbs up. it was my first race with the new car and i was pleased with the results! i'll always be a huge fan of american muscle, but i was surprised at the power of that little WRX, pretty quick. but he was a good sport in the casual race. i think if we would have started in 1st gear i would've pulled him a little more, but i'm sure he'd get me from a roll over 60 m.p.h. wat do u guys think?
Old 03-22-2007, 10:32 PM
Teching In

def would not get you from a roll over 60mph. I do own a wrx and they suck from rolls. I mean unless he had some nice mods.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:19 PM
Banned

WRX's aren't fast at all.

I went and test drove an '04 the other day for a friend. Its not even a comparison to an LS1. They only put down around ~180WHP stock, not impressive at all. Good for mid 14's, probably low 14's with a hard launch.

Same with the STI. Somehow 235WHP for $35K doesn't impress me. At all.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with wakeskate WRX are garbage from a roll.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:36 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by ONEBADASSWS6
WRX's aren't fast at all.

I went and test drove an '04 the other day for a friend. Its not even a comparison to an LS1. They only put down around ~180WHP stock, not impressive at all. Good for mid 14's, probably low 14's with a hard launch.

Same with the STI. Somehow 235WHP for $35K doesn't impress me. At all.
They aren't made for dragracing. But yet, the fastest stock STi is only a tenth or two off the best LS1 F-body times. If you call them slow, you're calling the F-bodies slow as well.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Actually calling them slowER.....
Old 03-23-2007, 05:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
They aren't made for dragracing. But yet, the fastest stock STi is only a tenth or two off the best LS1 F-body times. If you call them slow, you're calling the F-bodies slow as well.
so the fastest sti times are in the 12s man i dont have a 1/4 mile track around here but in the 1/8 i havent seen better than 8.60s out of them now that doesnt = anywhere close to 12s. There are a ton of them running around here too. I do know a guy who has a quick one that runs 6.80 with a huge list of mods.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2001z
so the fastest sti times are in the 12s man i dont have a 1/4 mile track around here but in the 1/8 i havent seen better than 8.60s out of them now that doesnt = anywhere close to 12s. There are a ton of them running around here too. I do know a guy who has a quick one that runs 6.80 with a huge list of mods.
Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it hasn't happened.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:46 AM
Teching In

Not sure where the illusion that a WRX sucks from a roll came from. Maybe because they are so good from the launch it looks that way. But in the end 175whp is a 175whp. It's not like the WRX has some crazy gearing that makes them slow from rolls. Truth is, in stock form a WRX is a slow car compared to a ls1. The launch lets them beat/compare to cars with more power but doesn't change the fact that they are light on whp. You guys make it seem like a WRX at 20mph is fast and then some unknown mystical force makes it slow down the faster it goes. Most noobs seem to think that the AWD system slows a car down the fast it goes and thats just not the truth.

Since it's a FI car is doesn't take much to make it fast. For a non-forged internal motor and only being a 2.0L it can handle a lot of power.

I also agree. The WRX would not take you from a 60mph roll. If he had launched the car from the dig you would be playing catch up for sure and stopping at 65mph I'm not sure you would have got him. Passed that you would have walked him.

Good kill, I'm sure you will see more of them. Now start modding the car already.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:57 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by 2001z
Actually, the fastest time I've seen for a BONE STOCK STi was 13.0. But you're right... that "doesnt = anywhere close to 12s"
Old 03-23-2007, 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

WRX's don't have the greatest top end. I haven't raced one in my LS1 yet, but in my GTP (which didn't have a great top end before the cam) I could pull them hard, expecially once they hit 3rd.

The one you raced was probably modded some to hang with you there. Good kill.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just don't make the mistake of going against them from a dig....unless your on a good tire and a stall.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:48 AM
***Repost Police***

Yeah, base WRXs are nothing special in stock form. My old GS-R pulled two cars on one from a 60 punch to ~110mph. The look on that guy's face was priceless, since I started out right behind, and ended up going around him.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Its slow.

300WHP > 235WHP

107MPH trap > 101MPH trap.

Who cares if you can pull low 13's with a 6K clutch drop? That doesn't make the car any faster once you're off the line. And nobody drives around dropping the clutch at 6K at every stop light unless you're a complete moron.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ONEBADASSWS6
Its slow.

300WHP > 235WHP

107MPH trap > 101MPH trap.
Thats about as subjective as I have ever heard.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Resident

The STI can and will run low 13's stock. They are rated for 300 hp where the WRX is lower. They are faster than the WRX and also have a better trans. The WRX has the same tranny as the foresters.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:49 PM
Launching!

Base WRX is on a lower level stock indeed. You have 0 to fear untill he gets full bolt ons IMHO. AKA exhaust, betting IC perhaps or at least better IC pipes. Intake, a bit more boost, etc. Then maybe. Maybe. Lot of factors there.

And the whole AWD top end thing is so damn old its not worth arguing. Heres a bit of data. Take it as you will. My roomates basic DSM has an unchanged stock longblock with 140K miles on it. He runs 13.3s with 0 cool-down between runs and traps 107. Thats very similar to an LS1s times. Thats on a 2.0 60.

Everycar is different. All these generalizations are in the end pretty useless in the real world.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:56 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

I've driven one of my friends WRX TR's, I find that its a turd. But I'll tell you this, one of my other friends has a 2.5 RS and its soo fun to row through the gears in that car, its like a video game of a fast car, you're shifting so quickly into 5th and not feeling any physical acceleration.

The STI I can beat at a highway roll, but from anything slower than that its just a big game of catchup. So with that in mind I believe that the LS1 has more in the topend, but to generalize that all AWD has a lack of topend.. I don't entirely believe that.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

I had an experience with an 04 WRX the other day and let me tell you I was shocked at their performance. i have drove a few of them and had a mis-conception that they were a decently quick car. However this kid was ahead of me by about 3 cars on a local 3 lane road when I manage to get up next to him. My girl shot him a dirty look (as he had a sticker on the back of his car that said "when the turbo spins the bullshit ends" It ended alright) he then geared down to spool up at about 45 mph (ls1 owner's with an a4 and 2.73s knows how dead the cars are around 45 especially with a stock stall) we pretty much punched it right in sync with each other. By around 90mph I had almost a car on him WITH NO SPRAY! see mods in sig.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Alt
I've driven one of my friends WRX TR's, I find that its a turd. But I'll tell you this, one of my other friends has a 2.5 RS and its soo fun to row through the gears in that car, its like a video game of a fast car, you're shifting so quickly into 5th and not feeling any physical acceleration.

The STI I can beat at a highway roll, but from anything slower than that its just a big game of catchup. So with that in mind I believe that the LS1 has more in the topend, but to generalize that all AWD has a lack of topend.. I don't entirely believe that.
Thats because you are a stock A4. With an M6 and good tires, if you can hang with an STI on the launch, you pretty much got the win. Their only advantage is the launch, and most people aren't stupid enough to drop the clutch at 6K in their $35,000 car.

AWD is generalized as having less top end because there is much more parasitic loss through the drivetrain. As speeds increase, so does the amount of power you are losing through the transfer case, driveshafts, and CV axles.

The STI is geared very short as well, which is good for sprinting around an auto-x course, not top end on the highway.

Search this Thread