Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

T/A vs GTP

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T/A vs GTP

Nothing special today but I pulled next to an older guy in a GTP at a light today. Wasnt planning to race but he nailed it on green so I pursued. At the top of first I had caught up and put a nose on him and by mid 2nd he was past the end of my door.

Cool guy, said he loved my exhaust note. Didnt say if he had mods or not.
Fun times.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

he had mods if he was still beside you by mid second. or mabe you was feathering it for traction issues?

a GTP would have to have a 3.2 pulley/DP/intake/exhaust/ probly a cam to even be in the same ball park as you. esp with you having 4.11 gear you would wind through the gears alot faster than him. even though he jumped first their low 15 high 14 sec cars stock. no match for you.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

definetly had mod, stock you would have raped him
Old 03-29-2007, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good kill, I own a 2005 GTP and it's a pig. Not bad for a big car with a V6 but it's no match for my Z-28, once the warranty expires it's getting a pulley and some bolt on mods.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Nice kill. Looks like you are from Denver so you probably don't have to worry about it but guys in the mid-west should look out for the few that are turbo'd
Old 03-29-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER
he had mods if he was still beside you by mid second. or mabe you was feathering it for traction issues?

a GTP would have to have a 3.2 pulley/DP/intake/exhaust/ probly a cam to even be in the same ball park as you. esp with you having 4.11 gear you would wind through the gears alot faster than him. even though he jumped first their low 15 high 14 sec cars stock. no match for you.

I was feathering in first and he did get the jump since I wasnt really expecting him to punch it. 1st gear was just catch up. I hit second and didnt have much traction in that gear either.
He caught me by suprise hehe.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER

That GTP right there would have so much KR that it would either blow up or be dog slow with the amount of detonation due to lack of supporting mods for the 3.2. Anyway good kill man.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by silverbulletGTP
That GTP right there would have so much KR that it would either blow up or be dog slow with the amount of detonation due to lack of supporting mods for the 3.2. Anyway good kill man.

Let me ask you since you own a GTP, I have a stock 2005 GTP Grand Prix that I was wanting to mod some. What supporting mods would I have to do before a pulley swap? Also how much boost can one of these " Safely " handle? I'd like to make at least 300 hp to the front wheels, shouldn't be too hard should it? And finally would a Cold Air Intake gain some good horsepower and be a good first mod? I don't know jack about FI motors as this is my first one. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2007, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98-LS1
Let me ask you since you own a GTP, I have a stock 2005 GTP Grand Prix that I was wanting to mod some. What supporting mods would I have to do before a pulley swap? Also how much boost can one of these " Safely " handle? I'd like to make at least 300 hp to the front wheels, shouldn't be too hard should it? And finally would a Cold Air Intake gain some good horsepower and be a good first mod? I don't know jack about FI motors as this is my first one. Thanks!
First off: Don't buy a CAI or an HAI. Go to Home Depot, get some ABS pipe and make yourself a FWI for $50 that will feed you cold air. I'm doing that next weekend and ditching my $300 waste of money that's on my car right now.

Before you even think of touching pulley size invest in a scanner and understand KR/Detonation. Many guys before have just slapped on a small pulley with little or no supporting mods and have blown engines.

Now you have the Gen V S/C which is much more efficient than my Gen III. So a 3.4 on your blower would be like a 3.2 on mine. I'll leave you with a few good write ups on this.

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1

Edit: L67s and L32s dyno very low HP numbers but their powerbands are flat and they put out a lot of torque. A 300 HP GTP should be able to run 12s all day. However, I'd say if you're looking to get lots of HP I'd suggest you look at a turbo kit for your car. The fastest GPs are running them.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Tell me guys, I had a 99 never dynoed. What kind of ponies do you think it was runnin' with;
No headers, 3" downpipe, hi-flo cat, 3" exhaust and series 40s, SLP roller rocker pushrod kit, CAI, custom tuning, 3.4in. pulley with a Goodyear Gatorback belt keepin'
the boost right? Thankx.

Nick
Old 06-25-2007, 05:58 PM
12 Second Club

Probably about 235-245fwhp. I had a 97 that was cam'd and it ran pretty hard, fun sleeper car anyway!
Old 06-25-2007, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

nice kill
Old 06-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Assman
Probably about 235-245fwhp. I had a 97 that was cam'd and it ran pretty hard, fun sleeper car anyway!
i think this estimate is just alittle high. SLP's rockers are only 1.8s and with only a 3.4 pulley i think you are looking at the 215 to 230 area unless you have a tuner and not just a mail order tune. when i first got my XP cam installed and only a mail order tune it only did 250whp.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:08 PM
12 Second Club

Mine with a 3.4, pem's, exhaust, fwi, DHP 1.0 did 232 fwhp so I think it should be a fairly close estimate.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:08 AM
Teching In

PEM's help alot with the HP though. Not saying he can't get a decent number, but most car's aren't going to. Last dyno day in indy a guy had "custom tuning" from intense. He leaned out hard core and didnt do so hot(modified gt range). we were able to get him up with a very slightly mod'd stock pcm and he gained 15+whp across the board.

I guess what im saying is it kinda comes down to what his custom tune is.