Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

bench racing, whadda you think?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bench racing, whadda you think?

I have an 04 m6 gto. Mods in sig. I know a kid with a 2000 z28 a4 that is totally stock and hes tellin people he would win in a race with me.

I dont know him all that well but im gonna call him out, i know my car pretty well but dont know much about Zs. Pretty sure hes a bad driver and i think i can take him with ease. What do you guys think??

Eventually i will just race him and see but i figured i would ask.......

Last edited by 5.7GTO; 11-04-2007 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few things - I think you mean he has an A4, not M4. A4 = Automatic 4-speed, M6 - Manual 6-speed.

As far as the race goes, if you can drive with your mods it looks like you're probably in the low 13s. I'd be shocked if you hit a 12. My dad has an 04 GTO totally stock and the best he's been able to crack at a crappy track is a 13.7 I believe, although I know they'll go a bit faster, especially at a better track.

If he's an A4 with no mods, he's probably running mid-13s. His bad driving is only going to come into play off the launch with a stockish A4, so if he hooks up you're going to have to drive well. You should be able to pull him up top with your mods and being an M6, I'd think, but being an A4, he'll probably get you off the line unless you know how to launch your car. I would think you'll be playing catchup.

Again, this is assuming he has minimal to no mods. Let us know how it goes.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

i thought a4's had really crappy gears. if he is bone stock and you can drive like you claim then no prop. but if not then goodluck. havent had a problem with any z's myself.

it seems the only ones that want to race are the ones with mods.... but nothing the bottle couldnt handle..

motor to motor SS and WS6 is the only thing i would worry about.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
A few things - I think you mean he has an A4, not M4. A4 = Automatic 4-speed, M6 - Manual 6-speed.

As far as the race goes, if you can drive with your mods it looks like you're probably in the low 13s. I'd be shocked if you hit a 12. My dad has an 04 GTO totally stock and the best he's been able to crack at a crappy track is a 13.7 I believe, although I know they'll go a bit faster, especially at a better track.

If he's an A4 with no mods, he's probably running mid-13s. His bad driving is only going to come into play off the launch with a stockish A4, so if he hooks up you're going to have to drive well. You should be able to pull him up top with your mods and being an M6, I'd think, but being an A4, he'll probably get you off the line unless you know how to launch your car. I would think you'll be playing catchup.

Again, this is assuming he has minimal to no mods. Let us know how it goes.
Sorry, mistype yes its a a4.
From what i can tell and from what his friends say he is a bad driver. Im not an awesome driver but im getting decent on the launching. I will dig this thread up and post up the results.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CABRO
i thought a4's had really crappy gears. if he is bone stock and you can drive like you claim then no prop. but if not then goodluck. havent had a problem with any z's myself.

it seems the only ones that want to race are the ones with mods.... but nothing the bottle couldnt handle..

motor to motor SS and WS6 is the only thing i would worry about.
One one hand, you make a good point about the gearing. On the other hand, you do realize that an LS1 SS and an LS1 Z28 of the same year run pretty much the same times and trap pretty much the same speeds, right? Same thing Trans Am vs. WS6. It typically would just come down to the drivers in those races.

5.7GTO - Yeah, work on that launch. If he's got stock gears, you shouldn't have much trouble up top, like I said and the previous poster said, but if you can't drive he's going to get you out of the hole. POST RESULTS!
Old 11-04-2007, 10:02 PM
10 Second Club

How can any one be a bad driver with an A4. All you have to do is put it in D and punch it. He will probably get you off the line but if he is stock you will probably pull him up top. Should be a pretty close race with edge going to you if he is completely stock.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by navyblueSS
How can any one be a bad driver with an A4. All you have to do is put it in D and punch it. He will probably get you off the line but if he is stock you will probably pull him up top. Should be a pretty close race with edge going to you if he is completely stock.
Just "punching" it would classify as a bad driver IMO. Launching well is going to make a huge diff. for either one of us i would imagine.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

I have an a4 z and when i was stock i didnt have much problem with the 04 gto's. I mean i wasnt killing any but i wasnt losing either. I was told that the weight difference was what was helping me. Im pretty sure the gto's have a couple hundred pounds on the z. 05 and 06 is a different story. Having a 6.0 really makes a difference in that car. Then i would say you would have no problem. Should be close race tho. Good luck, I have to pull for the z.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just race him and find out
Old 11-05-2007, 12:38 AM
TECH Veteran

I dont think you will have a problem beating him. Just get an ok launch and hit all the gears and you'll take him.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

should be a close race! race and post the results