Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

05-06 Saleen Mustang vs my ls1 240sx

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 06:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05-06 Saleen Mustang vs my ls1 240sx

Crusing home on the highway in the fast lane doing 70mph in a 60 zone when I see the taurus behind me coming closer then right behind him a newer mustang tailing the taurus trying to get him to merge right. Mustang finally gets a long strip of open lane to the right of him and i see him trying to do the usual pass. I thought I would give this cocky driver a piece of me. As he comes up I decide to downshift to third and punch it as he gets next to me. Hes already got a lead start probably a 1/16 mile back before i even downshift so now I'm playing catch up. I then see the tail and its a Saleen mustang so instantly i realized I underestimated what i was racing. Topping out 3rd, I shift to 4th, by this time hes already 2 cars ahead of me and has already started to merge. Now hes in front and i'm starting to pull closer and get behind him and I decided to just shut down before I approch a few of the overpasses. (cops usually hide around them) . The saleen carries its speed to where ever he was headed.

I got home and looked up the specs to see what I was up againsts after the race. I thought I was content with the power I had. My car is setup for lapping days so it already had plenty of power to keep me fighting the power. But I may do a cam and head setup this winter.

Specs:
1998 240sx Full interior w/ ac components
01 ls1
T-56
textralia exo-skel
1 3/4 headers to Y pipe (have to redo y pipe
3" custom magnaflow
Clutch Differntial with 3.9 Final gear

326rwhp 325 rwtq (pretty damn stock to me )
Weight: 2880 pounds wet w/o me; 3050 pounds with me

Ronald
Old 12-30-2007, 06:41 PM
***Repost Police***

Good kill... I drove my friend's '89 240SX for 4 months and it handled really well, just *****-slow. So I can only imagine how fun your's must be
Old 12-30-2007, 06:45 PM
Scammer Alert!

ok so you looked up specs of your own car? i thought you raced a saleen?
Old 12-30-2007, 06:51 PM
Banned

Was it a Red Saleen? There is one that roams around thats stupid fast. The only thing left in it from Saleen is the block and the bodywork. He made my car look like a f***ing Yugo with a dead cylinder.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Saleen Specs

Wasn't sure if you meant to put the Saleen's specs or what but here you go...

2007 Saleen S281 3V Coupe
Curb Weight est 3550 lbs
Type 4.6L, 3V, SOHC V-8
Bore and Stroke 3.55 x 3.54 in.
Displacement 4.6 liters, 281 cu in.
Exhaust System Saleen Stainless, 2.5 in. Center Exhaust
Horsepower 335 bhp @ 5200 RPM
Torque 345 lb-ft @ 4500 RPM
Transmission Saleen Quick Ratio 5-Speed Transmission
Differential 8.8" 3.73 gears

2007 Saleen S281 SC Coupe
Curb Weight est 3356 lbs
Type 4.6L, 3V, SOHC V-8
Exhaust SystemSaleen Stainless, 2.5 in. Variable Exhaust
Horsepower 465 bhp @ 5800 RPM
Torque 425 lb-ft @ 4000 RPM

Saleen Intercooled Supercharger
Saleen Series VI Integrated TwinScrew Supercharger With Two-Stage Water-To-Air Intercooler System; Cast 356-T6 Aluminum Alloy Constructions

Transmission Saleen Quick Ratio 5-Speed Transmission
Differential 8.8" 3.55 gears

2007 Saleen S281 SC Extreme
Curb Weight est 3356 lbs
Type 4.6L, 3V, SOHC V-8
Crankshaft Special Saleen Forged Steel
Connecting Rods Saleen Forged Steel
Pistons Saleen Forged Aluminum
Exhaust System Saleen Stainless, 2.5 in. Variable Exhaust
Horsepower 550 bhp @ 6100 RPM
Torque 525 lbs-ft Torque @ 4900 RPM

Saleen Intercooled Supercharger
Saleen Series VI Integrated TwinScrew Supercharger With Two-Stage Water-to-Air Intercooler System; Cast 356-T6 Aluminum Alloy Construction

Transmission Saleen Quick Ratio 6-Speed Transmission
Differential Saleen 4.10:1 Maxgrip™ Differential

These are all from the Saleen website and I wasn't sure what type of saleen you ran so I did all 3
Old 12-30-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

So he was cocky because he was going ~80 in a 60 and passing slower cars??....and you under estimated a stang because it was a saleen?...no wonder you had to look up the specs when you got home.

Not much difference in the saleen S281 and a base GT......um, and good loss?
Old 12-30-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ yeah that's what I was thinking I don't think you can call that a kill if you never came around him. That would be a death or a loss. Whatever you want to call it. Definatley not a win though.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by raceme@you'dlose.com
Was it a Red Saleen? There is one that roams around thats stupid fast. The only thing left in it from Saleen is the block and the bodywork. He made my car look like a f***ing Yugo with a dead cylinder.
I was on I-512 headed to i-5. I know there are a few fast saleen's in Tacoma. I think the one your talking about is a shop owner (hes got stoptech's, black HRE wheels, upgraded s/c etc) I've spoken with him before. I know hes making alot of power.
The one I race was the graphite color.

I just believe theres no reason to push cars out of the way on a 2 lane highway that has congestion on it already. Your not going to make it far.

Its more common for me to see base model mustangs so I don't get too excited when i glance behind me and see the general figure of a mustang until i notice the distinguishing differences. I've driven cobra's and mach1 mustangs etc and have an appreciation. Get my drift. Most people assume I'm a import with a loud can on the back, we all stereotype, its reality.

I want to say its the Saleen S281 SC Coupe, but I can't be certain. I wanted the guy to pull over and chat but he kept going.

Guys, I never said it was a kill. it was just fun to play with one today.

-Ronald
Old 12-30-2007, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ronald so
I was on I-512 headed to i-5. I know there are a few fast saleen's in Tacoma. I think the one your talking about is a shop owner (hes got stoptech's, black HRE wheels, upgraded s/c etc) I've spoken with him before. I know hes making alot of power.

I just believe theres no reason to push cars out of the way on a 2 lane highway that has congestion on it already. Your not going to make it far.

Its more common for me to see base model mustangs so I don't get too excited when i glance behind me and see the general figure of a mustang until i notice the distinguishing differences. I've driven cobra's and mach1 mustangs etc and have an appreciation. Get my drift. Most people assume I'm a import with a loud can on the back, we all stereotype, its reality.

I want to say its the Saleen S281 SC Coupe, but I can't be certain. I wanted the guy to pull over and chat but he kept going.

-Ronald
i like you outlook on the stereotype. if you did a cam or anything in that lightass thing it would be super quick as for it being the sc version i doubt it. even though there turds for the $$$ they still make about 415whp and i dont think you could pull on it like you said with you only having 326whp but maybe because if it was a non supercharged you would prob blow by them pretty quickly. i just contradicted myself sorry lol, maybe it was a sc version who just need a driver mod. good runs no matter tho
Old 01-02-2008, 04:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ronald so

-Ronald
The shop owners car is nice but I don't think its putting down what people think it is. The one I'm talking about is a very serious car, it belongs to an older guy.