Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LT1 vs. FERRARI

Old 03-06-2008, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 vs. FERRARI

I apologize in advance because I know this is gonna sound like a fictional story or something out of a movie... but here we go. My last car was a 1996 camaro z28.. The car had a magnaflow cat back, six speed, 130xxx miles on it, leaked fluids from multiple spots, and the dash had more lights than los angeles (SES, ABS inop, security, low oil). It was the second day after I got plates for the vehicle, and I was out cruising around with two passengers. Then we noticed a red late 80's Ferrari driving a few cars in front of us (sorry im not sure on the model). After passing a few other cars I finally get up next to the guy. The guy is probably in his early 50's, keep in mind I was 19 at the time.

I was looking for a little street race, since this opportunity never happens in the middle of Illinois (racing a ferrari). The guy says, "Wanna race?" I replied with, "Sure." Then the guys says, "Let's put $1,000 on it." Now I'm sitting in a car that I just bought for $4,500. So I say, "Let's just race for fun." After he says some smartass remark, we both take off (which im just thinking, how mature are you to talk **** to a 19 year old). We're both driving stick and we both started at about a 10mph roll. We're pretty close through first, then I hit second and start to pull on him. I end up with my nose about a foot and a half in front of him when traffic forced us to let off. It wasn't a very long race, but it was clear that I was slightly faster (and I had two passengers, he was by himself).

When I pull up next to him at the next stop light he asked, "That thing got an ls1?" To which I reply, "No it's an LT1." Then he responds with, "Then what are you doing trying to mess with the big dogs?" This just leaves me thinking, what the f***? Did I not just beat you... Whatever, so I turned and as I drove off he honked his high pitch ferrari horn at me. I just couldn't get over the fact that an LT1 just shamed that ferrari, even though it was far from a nice ferrari.. By the way I took the camaro to Cordova drag strip and the best time I ran was a 14.2, so the car wasn't too fast. Sorry this story is so long, but thanks for reading.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

Hmm.. Don't know anything about old ferraris, But I do know there was some guy driving around my home town with a 360 Modena and I wanted SO badly to race him... I guess they run like a 12.6, so I figured it would be a pretty sick run..
Old 03-06-2008, 02:53 PM
***Repost Police***

Good run... it's always nice to knock some people off their high horses. Sounds like you probably raced a 308, which is not fast by any means. But it's still a Ferrari, so I'd love to have it
Old 03-06-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice kill. He sounds like a douchebag.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by danrad22
I apologize in advance because I know this is gonna sound like a fictional story or something out of a movie... but here we go. My last car was a 1996 camaro z28.. The car had a magnaflow cat back, six speed, 130xxx miles on it, leaked fluids from multiple spots, and the dash had more lights than los angeles (SES, ABS inop, security, low oil). It was the second day after I got plates for the vehicle, and I was out cruising around with two passengers. Then we noticed a red late 80's Ferrari driving a few cars in front of us (sorry im not sure on the model). After passing a few other cars I finally get up next to the guy. The guy is probably in his early 50's, keep in mind I was 19 at the time.

I was looking for a little street race, since this opportunity never happens in the middle of Illinois (racing a ferrari). The guy says, "Wanna race?" I replied with, "Sure." Then the guys says, "Let's put $1,000 on it." Now I'm sitting in a car that I just bought for $4,500. So I say, "Let's just race for fun." After he says some smartass remark, we both take off (which im just thinking, how mature are you to talk **** to a 19 year old). We're both driving stick and we both started at about a 10mph roll. We're pretty close through first, then I hit second and start to pull on him. I end up with my nose about a foot and a half in front of him when traffic forced us to let off. It wasn't a very long race, but it was clear that I was slightly faster (and I had two passengers, he was by himself).

When I pull up next to him at the next stop light he asked, "That thing got an ls1?" To which I reply, "No it's an LT1." Then he responds with, "Then what are you doing trying to mess with the big dogs?" This just leaves me thinking, what the f***? Did I not just beat you... Whatever, so I turned and as I drove off he honked his high pitch ferrari horn at me. I just couldn't get over the fact that an LT1 just shamed that ferrari, even though it was far from a nice ferrari.. By the way I took the camaro to Cordova drag strip and the best time I ran was a 14.2, so the car wasn't too fast. Sorry this story is so long, but thanks for reading.
Those '80s Ferrari's are quick once up at speed 'cause of their gearing but still slower from 0-60 than your car. The 1980 Magnum 308 car took 6.9 seconds 0-60. The later 1981 GTSi model took 7.9 seconds.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nic kill, ive raced a few ferrari's around here too
Old 03-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, like I said. It wasn't the best of ferrari's, but it still felt soooo good to put him in his place.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by danrad22
Yeah, like I said. It wasn't the best of ferrari's, but it still felt soooo good to put him in his place.
I totally agree.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

lt1's are underestimated way too often.

my formula doesnt say formula anywhere but the drivers side headlight and for now i have the 2otl catback and stock rims so im not sure but im guessing alot of people think its a v6. go figure
Old 03-09-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I got beat by an old lady in a Ford GT once.. I laughed at myself lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT1 vs. FERRARI