Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

I thought Evos were quicker than this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I thought Evos were quicker than this?

So last night on my way back from a movie with my girlfriend, I see this Evo 9 pacing me all the way down santa monica blvd. He had an exhaust and a pretty loud bov so I figured he was pretty quick. He pulls up along side me with this **** eating grin on his face and were doing about 40mph and he punches it, with his bov going off... I thought I was screwed because he got the jump and my tranny slips like hell but I punch it and blow past him, literally putting a bus length on him and then I shut down because of a red light up ahead.The light turns green and he does the infamous ricer fly-by, so I say **** it ill smoke him again. I catch up to him at about 50mph and walked him again. We pull up to a light at the same time and he wouldnt even look at me, but his girl was laughing. He takes off from the light really hard, taking me from the launch but after about 2 seconds I was side by side with him and then pulled on him like crazy, putting bus lengths on him yet again, before I shut down at around 110. My only mods are a lid and a catback and my tranny slips. I though even stock evos were quicker than this, yet alone a modded one?
Old 04-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Putting a blow off valve on the Evo IX's actually hurt it's performance. He also probably just had an exhaust. This may sound odd, but how did it smell? If you couldn't really smell it, it was probably just a catback, which doesn't do much for those cars. If you smelled a foul/fuel/oil aroma, it probably means he was catless. Thus, he more than likely had a turboback, which would yield around 15hp.

Good kill!
Old 04-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Banned

Well with a ful lexahust and a tune you can pick up 50hp -60with the evo 9. I gutted my down pipe and tuned my legacy and picked up 57wheel horsepower
Old 04-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kilgothephenom
Putting a blow off valve on the Evo IX's actually hurt it's performance. He also probably just had an exhaust. This may sound odd, but how did it smell? If you couldn't really smell it, it was probably just a catback, which doesn't do much for those cars. If you smelled a foul/fuel/oil aroma, it probably means he was catless. Thus, he more than likely had a turboback, which would yield around 15hp.

Good kill!
the BOV is true.... but stock they're turds imo. from a roll they're a joke
Old 04-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Banned

Well, you just experienced whats its like to run a 230WHP econoturd on the highway

Everyone talks up Evos like they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. The truth couldn't be farther from it. Frankly, its gotten to the point where its just plain annoying, every ricer and his brother talks about how their dream car is an Evo.

What happened to the days when people aspired to own nice cars?? Why the hell anyone would be stupid enough to pay $35,000 for a 4 cylinder Mitsubishi Lancer sedan is beyond me. I guess I'm from the old school, where buying a nice car meant you actually got a nice car, not a tarted-up mitsubishi.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

I guess that last ban was only temporary. Damn.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:20 PM
Banned

yea ppl even think that they can run with a rx-7 fd
Old 04-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Banned

ever since that damn f&f movie came out...tho i like the part with the semi truck...beautiful
Old 04-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by toslo5o
yea ppl even think that they can run with a rx-7 fd
WTF are you talking about
Old 04-29-2008, 05:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ONEBADASSWS6
Well, you just experienced whats its like to run a 230WHP econoturd on the highway

Everyone talks up Evos like they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. The truth couldn't be farther from it. .
hahaha funny thats the truth. there is one at the local jiffy lube in town and he think its bad stuff, but i caught him leaving one day and he nailed it and i was doing about 40 ,clutched 2nd a little and pulled 3-4 cars on him before third. he turned at light
Old 04-29-2008, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Nice kill.. also could need driver mod.. not saying it would make the race better ..but a good driver can help.. a friend bought an evo the old owner went 790's.. new owner 730.. AS IT WAS .. i know thats not allot but.. just saying .. may have needed a driver Mod ALSO

Nice kill again
Old 04-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Evo's only have good quarter mile times because of their launching capabilities. From a roll, that HUGE advantage they have is taken away, and they become much slower.

To put it in laymen's terms, the only reason they are a mid 13 second car is because they can get 1.6-1.9 60ft times STOCK. If they didn't have AWD, they'd be around a 13.9-14.2 second car. Thus, from a roll, they become about as fast as a S2000, 350Z, E36 M3, etc.

That's why many people say they, as well as STI's, are "slow" from a roll.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

Evo guys kill me. I remeber going to a street meet and watching a guy in a red Evo ******* with some of the lesser cars. We get to the spot, do some racing, get run off by cops. On the way out to the next site I see said Evo and pull up next to him. I arm my N2O as to make it as painful as possible for him. I look over and he looks at me like why are you picking on me!LOL I'll give it to him......he tried.
The train lengths I put on him where quite satisfying. So we make it to the next spot a few minutes later. I end up seeing the guy and head over his way. I figured I would shake his hand for not being a bitch right. As I walk up I hear " I don't know why those dumb *** Fbody guys always have to **** with us. Hell I am barely modded and some *** screwed with me on the way here".
I, at that point realized something. You can't win either way with an Evo douche. You are either a dumbestic POS or big ol meanie!LOL

End of rant
Old 04-29-2008, 07:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ONEBADASSWS6

Everyone talks up Evos like they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. The truth couldn't be farther from it. Frankly, its gotten to the point where its just plain annoying, every ricer and his brother talks about how their dream car is an Evo.

What happened to the days when people aspired to own nice cars?? Why the hell anyone would be stupid enough to pay $35,000 for a 4 cylinder Mitsubishi Lancer sedan is beyond me. I guess I'm from the old school, where buying a nice car meant you actually got a nice car, not a tarted-up mitsubishi.
You're so right. They're all slow from a roll Imagine how bad it would have killed that C5 from a dig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zkYMy4c5ZY

"Old Schoolers" Crack me up so much
Old 04-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by COD02SS
You're so right. They're all slow from a roll Imagine how bad it would have killed that C5 from a dig

Whoopty do?! They have more money poured into that Evo than it is worth. Any car can be fast with the right amount of money. We are talking about STOCK Evo's, and that is NOWHERE NEAR stock.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by COD02SS

NICE!! Fast cars!
Old 04-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Banned

Whoopty do?! They have more money poured into that Evo than it is worth. Any car can be fast with the right amount of money. We are talking about STOCK Evo's, and that is NOWHERE NEAR stock.
hahaha i've seen more than a few chevettes, mavericks,pintos ect runin 9's but thats cause their friggin sweet man yea
Old 04-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Banned

hahaha i've seen more than a few chevettes, mavericks,pintos ect runin 9's but thats cause their friggin sweet man yea
Old 04-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Good kill!
Which part of NC are you from?
Old 04-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Teching In

You know, just about every car group has thier dumbasses. I own an Evo, but mainly hang out with Domestics, mainly because they are top of the food chain here in Hickville Oklahoma.

I really love the debate about how much cheaper you can make "X" car go fast vs another car. I find that other than the initial cost of the car, it really takes a lot of the same ammount of money to make a car go fast once you hit a certain point.

To me, it's not really only how fast your car is, it is how you carry yourself. Some lose sight of when it used to be fun, and get all bent out of shape, some keep it in perspective and keep it fun.