Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LS2 can't shake off LS1

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up LS2 can't shake off LS1

Cliff notes: See the title ^

I was cruising with the top down tonight and headed home after meeting up for dinner with an old friend of mine. The crisp fall night air was battling for supremacy against my heater, but a convertible is just so much more enjoyable whenever the roof isn't looming over you. And that's why they make fleece pullovers, too...

I noticed a clean 2005 Midnight Blue Metallic GTO up ahead, and immediately stopped MMOB (minding my own business). Sometimes fate allows two muscle cars to catch a redlight side by side, and sometimes you need to make it happen yourself.

I followed the GTO as he made a casual turn onto Rt 30 headed through Montgomery, IL. A light up ahead had indeed turned red, but other vehicles occupied the left lane. So we both ended up in the right-hand lane that merged less than 1/4 mile ahead, with me behind the GTO. Moments before we got the green light, a minivan turned in front of us, but was making slow progress in the left lane. That meant both of our V8 Pontiacs would be restricted to the right side in our efforts to reach the convergence before the totally oblivious left lane bandit.

I'm sure the GTO had eyed the menacing gleam of my TransAm headlights in his mirror or spotted me earlier, because he got on it immediately as the light turned green. I heard his tires chirping on the cool pavement as I let out my twin disc clutch and put the gas pedal down. My 295 rear tires danced and whimpered in protest a little on their own, and my modded 5.7 was yearning to be fully unleashed. However, I had to short shift and let up in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears as the presence of the GTO's back bumper kept me from doing anything but admiring the glistening dark blue paint of the now obviously stock 6.0. Sure enough, the plodding minivan in the left lane prevented me from being able to pull out and around the GTO. The sound of our two thundering V8's at high rpms rushing past probably snapped the minivan driver out of his commuter daze, so I'd like to think we did the poor soul a favor. Or perhaps we inspired him to write his local elected official about the benefits of installing speed cameras on Route 30, who knows...

After we both safely passed the surprised minivan, and as the lanes merged into one, the GTO eased off the gas. By now, he must have realized that continuing to accelerate would only have been a bigger waste of gas, as the verdict was clear: My Firehawk was acting like it was on a bungee cord attached to his rear license plate.

We both coasted back down to the 55 mph speed limit in single file, and I dropped back to a more respectful following distance. As I approached the next street to turn around, I blinked my lights twice at him while braking. Unfortunately, I didn't get any sort of acknowledgment from the Goat owner whatsoever. I was hoping for a return flash of his brakelights or hazards or something, but it wasn't to be... I hope he wasn't too upset that my headlights didn't shrink in his rearview mirror as he probably had been expecting, but I had a good time regardless and would have given him the thumbs-up had the opportunity presented itself.

Last edited by Dan00Hawk; 10-09-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:00 AM
11 Second Club

Are you an English teacher?
Old 10-10-2008, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FlashLCD33
Are you an English teacher?
No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...
Old 10-10-2008, 12:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dan00Hawk
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.

Classic.

Props to you.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:32 AM
On The Tree

Nice story, but you went a little heavy on the adjectives.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:54 AM
12 Second Club

I liked the story telling. It reminded me of when i was just a young boy sitting up all night reading road and track.

Ah the good times.

Nice kill. I loved the bungee cord metaphor.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

lol, ok
Old 10-10-2008, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jmdgto
lol, ok

Nice response, but you went a little heavy on the adjectives.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Village Idiot

Somebody tell me if this thread is worth reading cause that is a frigg'n novel...

Good kill I guess...If that's what happened...
Old 10-10-2008, 11:46 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by JIBBBY
Somebody tell me if this thread is worth reading cause that is a frigg'n novel...

Good kill I guess...If that's what happened...
Jibby, I see youre trying hard to get along with everyone

Nice kill OP and great story telling
Old 10-10-2008, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Jibby, I see youre trying hard to get along with everyone
OP sounds like you had some fun.

Jay, does this mean we can be ourselves with Jibby now or do we still have to be nice.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:56 PM
TECH Regular

Nicely put. Loved the story. Theres a LS2 GTO that runs around my area. He's got a magnacharger that he revs at anyone (mini van or vette) dont matter. All though we have never ran into each other, next year I'll have a 100shot for his ***, just incase we happen to be on the same side of the street one of these days.....
Old 10-11-2008, 01:46 AM
TECH Resident

Ah that was a great read. I wish all kill stories where written by you.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

lol...good runs
Old 10-11-2008, 08:38 AM

Sometimes fate allows two muscle cars to catch a redlight side by side, and sometimes you need to make it happen yourself.
My favorite line in the story!

Great read and good kill!
Old 10-11-2008, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FlashLCD33
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.

Classic.

Props to you.
LMAO!!!!!!!!! That was great! I like the way he wrote it that was awesome!!! Silly GTO!
Old 10-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Village Idiot

Hey, just pointing out the long read that's all Jay..

I got ripped on another thread for posting half that length... Just being like everyone else and trying to fit in on the forum. It's seems to me like everyone has some kind of attitude flowing, so I figure I should too......I can be dossel and friendly with the best of them on the forums, but that just doesn't seem to be the MO on this section of the street race forum now does it?... Just trying to fit in with all the other clowns and having fun... Jay, am I being singled out now and under the microscope? I've seen many and much worse posts on this race forum on practically every other thread...Come on now?????

I guess it was a good story after all.. Let me get on my bi-focals on and read away then...Thanks for the heads up..

Fuckn A - Mandelishi, jumping in again out of nowhere offering up your crappy posts...Typical, as you are just so predictable and boring.. I thought you were coming around too... I guess I thought wrong
Old 10-11-2008, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JIBBBY
Hey, just pointing out the long read that's all Jay..

I got ripped on another thread for posting half that length... Just being like everyone else and trying to fit in on the forum. It's seems to me like everyone has some kind of attitude flowing, so I figure I should too......I can be dossel and friendly with the best of them on the forums, but that just doesn't seem to be the MO on this section of the street race forum now does it?... Just trying to fit in with all the other clowns and having fun... Jay, am I being singled out now and under the microscope? I've seen many and much worse posts on this race forum on practically every other thread...Come on now?????

I guess it was a good story after all.. Let me get on my bi-focals on and read away then...Thanks for the heads up..

Fuckn A - Mandelishi, jumping in again out of nowhere offering up your crappy posts...Typical, as you are just so predictable and boring.. I thought you were coming around too... I guess I thought wrong
This post by JibberJabber is too long to read... Can someone tell me if it's worth it?
Old 10-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Village Idiot

Too Shay
Old 10-11-2008, 01:12 PM
11 Second Club

This thread = awesome.

Let me start the list of greatness.

English class quality story
Holiday inn express comment
Jibby's wasted post