Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Increased performance without a drop?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Increased performance without a drop?

I've got about 60k miles on my 02 Formula and the noises under the car are telling me that it's time for some serious suspension work; I'm thinking shocks and springs at all four corners. Since I can't afford a lot of modifications at once, my rule is that when stock parts wear out, they get replaced with performance stuff (as in my BSI slotted rotors and Hawks HPS pads). My dilemma is that, since I DD this car on Illinois roads 12 months a year, I don't want to lower it. So I'm looking for shocks/springs that will perform better than stock but keep it at the stock height. Is it possible?

Yes, I'm well aware that lowering the car will in and of itself improve the handling, but it's just not an option for me.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your very first stop should be Koni shocks if you're interested in improved handling....it's the single best upgrade you can do for handling.

also, since they are adjustable, you can just keep the stock springs for now, and later on if you decide to get some lowering springs, you just simply re-adjust them for the new spring rates. doing this would also keep you from having to spend money on a re-alignment.

you could possibly settle for less expensive shocks if you are absolutely positive that you will never lower the car, but shocks that are replacements for stock-height (and stock-rate) springs are not damped properly for higher rates and lower ride heights.....so if you do end up lowering it in the future, you will also need to replace the shocks again, and that sorta defeats the purpose on spending less money on the shocks to begin with.

you also may want to look into replacement bushings for your suspension components as well, since you can buy replacements usually in pairs, and they are usually pretty inexpensive.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

first off make sure it's the shocks that are making the noises. dont wanna spend all that money replacing em if there's nothing wrong. a lot of shocks are designed for the stock ride height, but idk of many "performance springs" that keep the stock height. i think the best thing for you to do would be some bilstein HD's or something and then just keep the stock springs. they're decent shocks for the money and are designed for factory springs(so i've read). you should also look into replacing your lca and phb bushings, along with swaybar endlinks while you're under there to get rid of noises and gain a little more performance.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Do the SLP springs with the SLP Eibach kit lower the car?
Old 10-12-2008, 09:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah probably about an inch
Old 10-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Anybody know anything about the Varishock coil-over conversion kits?
Old 10-12-2008, 11:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Koni shocks 1LE springs
Old 10-12-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
first off make sure it's the shocks that are making the noises. dont wanna spend all that money replacing em if there's nothing wrong. a lot of shocks are designed for the stock ride height, but idk of many "performance springs" that keep the stock height. i think the best thing for you to do would be some bilstein HD's or something and then just keep the stock springs. they're decent shocks for the money and are designed for factory springs(so i've read). you should also look into replacing your lca and phb bushings, along with swaybar endlinks while you're under there to get rid of noises and gain a little more performance.
VERY nice sig pic
Old 10-12-2008, 11:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
Koni shocks 1LE springs
Where can I purchase the 1LE springs?
Old 10-13-2008, 12:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Eh. im not sure if you can buy em from SLP or something..? im using stock springs w/ Konis... rides perfect. stock ride height.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:18 AM
TECH Junkie

i agree with either the bilstein HDs for a cheaper...yet still very good...shock.

or if you have the money, the Koni SA. the nice thing about the koni's is that you can install the fronts on a lower spring perch and get about 1/2" drop, and then remove the rear spring isolator to drop the rear a little bit.

probably not enough to have problems on bad roads, but it is a nice subtle appearance mod. and later down the road if you get another DD, you can drop the car with springs and the shocks will adjust to compensate.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ten32
Anybody know anything about the Varishock coil-over conversion kits?
Haven't heard anything about them but they look like knock-off QA1s, which are drag shocks (exact opposite of what you want).
If they were any good you'd think they would be on FRRAX or on here...

Stick with whats known to work well, like Konis.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:40 PM
Launching!

another vote for konis, really awesome! I had the SLP Bilstein/SLP Eibach combo, that was a pretty good setup, nice ride less than a 1" drop. I believe it's listed at 3/4" cost anywhere from 500-650 for springs and shocks depending on where you can find them. Wanted to go lower so went with koni's and Ground Control adj. coilover kit to get the clearance I needed. Definitely stay away from the QA1's unless you're pretty much into drag racing. I had them too (for height adj. for ground clearance issues with the STS kit) and they aren't very good in the twisties.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

A little late here, sorry.....

Shocks matter the most, period. You don't need to lower a car to have it handle extremely well. And in fact I don't feel that you need to both with 1LE springs either. In fact when I ordered my car to autox back in 2000, I could have bought a 1LE, but opted for a standard Z28 because the rear springs are better IMO.

Shocks, shocks, shocks... you need better damping, period.

What shocks? I'm a Koni fan, but I can also offer and discuss others with you like Bilstein, KYB, Edelbrock, Tokico, and hell even Monroe (:rofl. I can't recommend one without talking to you so I can get a feel for what you dislike and want to change about the car. People are all different, and I don't make the same recommendation for everyone, it's gotta be based on what the goals and needs are.

Happy to help if you want. Just call my tech line @ 814-849-3450.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-14-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

thanks for the compliment on the sig sidwayz.

and just so that this post somewhat pertains to the topic, i installed some bilsteins this weekend and i'm likin em so far. the ride is good and it handles pretty well. much better than my stock 90k mile springs/shocks did anyway.