Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Searched - ABS

Old 10-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Searched - ABS

Ok So I never noticed my ABS Light to come on, but one day I was ripping on it and when I hit 2nd instead of spinning all through like it does, it hooked up(new tires) and the ABS INOP light appeared. It will come on and go off at different times. Also, under harder than normal braking, not slamming them, but just applying more pressure, the pedal vibrates and low trac light comes on.

Anything that could have happened when I made that shift into 2nd and it hooked? It felt kinda rough
Old 10-13-2008, 07:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99Ws6302
Ok So I never noticed my ABS Light to come on, but one day I was ripping on it and when I hit 2nd instead of spinning all through like it does, it hooked up(new tires) and the ABS INOP light appeared. It will come on and go off at different times. Also, under harder than normal braking, not slamming them, but just applying more pressure, the pedal vibrates and low trac light comes on.

Anything that could have happened when I made that shift into 2nd and it hooked? It felt kinda rough
Do you have bigger tires on the rear compared to the front ones?

ABS likes to freak out when the rears are ~10% bigger than the fronts. This is a BAD thing and could potentially cause your car to wreck. Pull your ABS fuse for the time being... because if ABS is activating when it shouldn't be, the unit is probably bad (regardless of tire size) or you have a situation like I outlined.

A few forum members have totaled their cars due to faulty ABS units, and ignoring the warning symptoms like you are describing.

I think you can get your car tuned to compensate for the tires? But I'm not a good source for that however.

You can definitely delete your ABS altogether and shed a good amount of weight (I would, but we have terrible drivers in AZ and ABS has saved my *** a few times).
Old 10-13-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I HIGHLY SECOND pulling the ABS fuse. When I got my car the ABS had a burnt pump motor (and other hidden problems.)

I fixed the pump motor and got on the highway. The first time I hit the brakes hard over 55 MPH I almost lost the car because it was only braking one front tire, thinking the other one was slipping.

Then another time, I thought I had fixed it and my dad drove my car. He was going 65 MPH and hit the brakes. All wheels pulsed and he could not brake. ZERO BRAKES.

The car shot through a barb wire fence at over 60 MPH and tore through a cow field. It destroyed my Ultra Z hood, front fascia, SS wing, scratches all over.... It was horrible. I still have damage to this day.

Unplug it if it isn't working right! Be careful!
Old 10-13-2008, 11:35 PM
Staging Lane

K, well all tires/wheels are exact same size. Do I just pull the 25 fuse under the hood? Or any relays? How can I check what it is for sure? If the fuse is out can the abs system mess up and cause me to wreck? Im not too familier with ABS systems.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:32 AM
TECH Veteran

The absolute best no BS way to kill the ABS would be to pull the connector directly off the unit. This way there is no way in hell that unit has power.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

Which is located....where? lol
Old 10-14-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Veteran

It is a big long 40 pin connector in the engine bay. Drivers side towards the front.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

So if I remove that big plug, my brakes will work normal, just no ABS and the light will be on? Is there any danger of doing this with the brake system?

Search this Thread