Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

replacing brake pads..which ones

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default replacing brake pads..which ones

well i was going to do this a while back and ended getting autozone pads but never put them on. know im wondering wether i should even use them or not... they were like $40ish
Old 10-15-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It totally depends on what you are planning on doing with the car. Not all brake pads are equal, and not all brake pads are ideal for each different situation.

For example. I autocross my Camaro so I use Hawk HP+ on the front and Hawk HPS on the rear. If I was just street driving it, my brake choice would be different. I'd probably use HPS on all four corners.

If I road raced it, then the pad choice would be way different....
Old 10-15-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Major_Lee_Slow
It totally depends on what you are planning on doing with the car. Not all brake pads are equal, and not all brake pads are ideal for each different situation.

For example. I autocross my Camaro so I use Hawk HP+ on the front and Hawk HPS on the rear. If I was just street driving it, my brake choice would be different. I'd probably use HPS on all four corners.

If I road raced it, then the pad choice would be way different....
just a street driven car.. so i should def. no tuse the ones i bought at az right???

any suggestions on theright ones to use and a price range plz??

thanks
Old 10-15-2008, 01:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Good pads aren't particularly cheap.

Do you need fronts or both front and rear? My two favorites are Hawk HPS, or PBR MetalMasters.

A front set of HPS's are $87, rears are $75. We have a special on the website for $162 and free shipping with the purchase of a pair.

The PBR's are very similar, but require more bedding in... they also cost less @
$60 a set. There are no rears available in that compound, so I use HPS rears because the level of friction is so similar, and it saves $27 vs. HPS all around.

You have some choices. I will attest to the effectiveness of either option. I have used both, and like both on my car. Some folks just want the same pad front and rear, and I'd not want a very different pad front to rear, but the PBR's and the HPS's are very much the same in function (bite, friction level, working when cold).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-15-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Junkie

www.stranoparts.com

hawk hps

should be all you need. i think they are about $165 for the f/r set
Old 10-15-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

kool thanks guys..
Old 10-15-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they are the AZ European made Performance Friction pads they are very good semi-metalic pads. Stop great, quiet with very little dusting.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
If they are the AZ European made Performance Friction pads they are very good semi-metalic pads. Stop great, quiet with very little dusting.
which ones are those and how much are they?
Old 10-15-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

i think they are the duralast GOLD.....syramic i think??? i bought these a while back and needless to say i dont have the receipt so i cant take them back.... so should i even try to put them on or should i just go with the HPS??
Old 10-15-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

If you gave them your name and address, they can look you up. they should at least give you a store credit.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28_n_tx
i think they are the duralast GOLD.....syramic i think??? i bought these a while back and needless to say i dont have the receipt so i cant take them back.... so should i even try to put them on or should i just go with the HPS??
after reading a few post on here many people like those duralast gold pads.

maybe I will get those since they are cheap and my car is in need of some
Old 10-15-2008, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

I like BendixBrake pads, there moderatley priced check em out:

http://www.bendixbrakes.com/
Old 10-15-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

My last brake swap was with Duralast cheap autozone past. Rears were Duralast Gold. I would never put them back on my car again. WAY too much dust, kinda noisy after not that many miles, and they fade too quickly.

When I get some LS1 brakes, i'll have some Hawk HPS pads.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Hawk HPS pads only on my D/D.

Bill
Old 10-19-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bobbyd
which ones are those and how much are they?

I am pretty sure Duralast is the Advance Auto house brand so no they are not the same pad.

These pads are carried by AZ and are called Performance Friction Corporation. Last set I got was about $45. I have run them for years with no complaints. They are on both of my vehicles now.

Here ya go http://www.performancefriction.com/pages/about_pfc.htm

Mods please delete if I am stepping on any toes but I am not aware of any brake only sponsors.

Last edited by SOMbitch; 10-19-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:34 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm not brake only, but I do sell brakes...... It's ok though, because PFC street pads that AutoZone and the like carry aren't anything special. In fact, many go for the name Peformance Friction because they do make racing brakes, but these aren't anything like those. Again, they are ok, but nothing more. In fact the PFC street compound was used stock on a number of cars, including Ford Crown Vics.

PFC street pads don't have a very dense material and tend to give a bit softer pedal than the Hawks (note the PFC race pads are very, very good, but again these aren't race pads). The PFC Z-rated pads are IMHO worse than the street pads. I tried both on a Chevy truck I owned, and at the time found Raybestos pads to stop and feel better. That was before Hawk was doing truck brakes and when they came out they had just a bit more power without being abrupt.

To each his own, but there is a reason you can find those pads for $45 at a corner parts store, they are like most other things you find for less at a corner parts store. I won't argue they aren't better than the $20 pads, but I don't like them as much as the HPS's for pedal feel or power....

And yes, PFC is a brand I sell (can, don't like to because they aren't a great bargain to me).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-20-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Junkie

I just put a set of HPS pads on the front this past weekend, along with a pair of Brembo blanks from Sam. Wow, what a difference! Fantastic feel, excellent response, very firm pedal.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

Just bought some Hawk HPS's. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess i will go with the hawk hps pads. thanks

Quick Reply: replacing brake pads..which ones