Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

typical f-body topic: rearend clunk

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default typical f-body topic: rearend clunk

Hello, so here it is 2000 T/A mods include(suspension only) BMR boxed subframe connectors, lca's(non-adjustable), adjustable panhard, panhard relocater bar aka upper panhard or track bar. The problem is i have abit of a "rearend clunk" that is becoming an annoyance being my car is a DD. The car makes a rattlish-clunking noise in the rear over small bumps or imperfections on the road.The car makes the clunking also when you pop the hatch and rock the car side to side. you can grab the rear wheels and rock the wheel and hear the clunk also.I checked the aftermarket parts for tightness and didnt find anything loose. what are your ideas. Any imput is appreciated thank you
Old 10-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Staging Lane

Over rough roads and speed bumps my right rear clunks kinda, like a bad strut or s/t havent checked um yet though....
Old 10-20-2008, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99Ws6302
Over rough roads and speed bumps my right rear clunks kinda, like a bad strut or s/t havent checked um yet though....
need new lca bushings
Old 10-20-2008, 04:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

double check to see if all the bolts are tightened enough, if they're loose by even a little, you will get clunking noises. i usually tighten things up to their recommended torque specs, then give it a bit more for good measure, and it seems to keep things nice & quiet.

just be sure not to overdo it and strip a nut or bolt, or you'll just have to start all over again with a new one.

after doing that, check the bushings for signs of "mushrooming", cracking, etc.

with non-adjustable components, it's likely to be either the bolts holding them in are not tight enough, or the bushings are starting to wear out and allowing excessive vibration/movement. with the adjustable components, you should also check the rod-ends for excessive "wobble" when moving the rod end by hand. also, be sure that the jam nuts are nice & tight, as they tend to loosen over time sometimes, especially if you didn't use some threadlocker on them when you tightened them up.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

While this thread is at it, here's what's been done in this one as well:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/992147-anti-squeek-anti-garbage-suspension-thread.html

Quick Reply: typical f-body topic: rearend clunk