Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

EXTRA 1/2" Drop w/Full Tank On Eibach Pro-Kit?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 06:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Default EXTRA 1/2" Drop w/Full Tank On Eibach Pro-Kit?!

I installed my Eibach Pro-Kit in January. The rear sat a little lower than the front...I thought the front end just needed to settle (which I thought it finally did). I JUST filled my tank (yes, for the 1st time since Jan.) and noticed that the rear-end seemed to be sitting lower again. I pulled out the tape measure and sure enough, it's sitting almost a 1/2" lower than it was BEFORE I filled my tank!

I know the Pro-Kit rear springs are known to be soft, but is an extra 1/2" drop on the rear NORMAL with the Pro-Kit on a full tank vs. an empty tank?!
Old 10-21-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn that seems a little absurd. I never really noticed if mine did the same. they may have.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:34 PM
12 Second Club

BEFORE the fill up, I was at 26 1/2" - 26 5/8" all the way around...AFTER the fill up, the rear has dropped to 26 1/8" - 26 1/4" So we might not be talking about a full 1/2", but definitely at least 3/8" and yes it is noticeable.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

that really sucks. Someone really needs to talk to Eibach about the quality of their springs. I guess until you decide to change your springs (if you do) just dont fill it up anymore. I dont know of any other problem there could be other than the springs just being too soft. What shocks are you running?
Old 10-21-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A full tank should only add about 100 lbs to the car. What the deal with this???
Old 10-21-2008, 08:37 PM
12 Second Club

The car seems to sit level at around 3/8 - 1/2 tank of gas. Now I do have a stealthbox with 10" sub, and a few amps in my trunk too, so that probably adds another 40 Lbs or so if I had to guess. So...if you take that info, it seems that maybe the Eibach's are designed to sit level on a full tank of gas IF you don't have anything in the trunk?!

When we did the spring swap, I planned to stay on the stock shocks for now, but we tore the stock front shocks up pretty bad getting the stock springs off, so I had to make a quick trip to AutoZone and the only thing they had in stock were the Gabriel shocks. The rears were only like an extra $15 each, so I went ahead and decided to go with Gabriel's all the way around. Do you think the stock shock would fix this problem? I've still got them...

Eventually, I'll get a decent set of shocks, but I can't believe the Eibach Pro-Kit has this problem at all.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

First off, Kappa Kappa Psi or Phi Mu Alpha? (making an assumption based on your user name)

Second, I don't think shocks will help this issue. Shocks will help stop the spring oscillation, but don't have an impact on ride height. Are the springs progressive? It's possible the added weight of a full tank of gas is "canceling" the first coil.

Not to be discouraging, but I've seen several posts where people talk about "Pro-Kit sag", particularly on the rear springs. Are you running the isolators or did you do the heater hose mod? If heater hose, you might consider putting the isolators back in. Or maybe you could swap out the rear springs and isolators with stock springs and heater hose, though I'm not sure if that would make the car level or give you a slight rake. Either way, I'd think a rake would be preferable over a butt-drag.

-Mike
Old 10-21-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I removed the spare tire and jack it raised my ride height on the passenger side and made it level with the driver side. The difference was about 1/4 inch.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
First off, Kappa Kappa Psi or Phi Mu Alpha? (making an assumption based on your user name)

Second, I don't think shocks will help this issue. Shocks will help stop the spring oscillation, but don't have an impact on ride height. Are the springs progressive? It's possible the added weight of a full tank of gas is "canceling" the first coil.

Not to be discouraging, but I've seen several posts where people talk about "Pro-Kit sag", particularly on the rear springs. Are you running the isolators or did you do the heater hose mod? If heater hose, you might consider putting the isolators back in. Or maybe you could swap out the rear springs and isolators with stock springs and heater hose, though I'm not sure if that would make the car level or give you a slight rake. Either way, I'd think a rake would be preferable over a butt-drag.

-Mike
Actually, neither on the fraternities...I guess I'm an independent middle school band director

No I didn't do the hose mod on the Eibachs...the stock isolators ARE installed on the rear.

I had made a post a few weeks ago about rubber spacers that go between the coils and asked if that might cure the sag if I ever got it...but all of the replies I got just knocked me for going with the Pro-Kit. Anway, I went ahead and bought the spacers and I'll install them between one of the coils on each side and see if that cures my problem...I just can't beleive how bad the rear springs are in the Pro-Kit!
Old 10-23-2008, 11:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

The rear springs are not stiff. I seem to recall gasoline is about 7 pounds per gallon which is around a 100 pound change empty vs. full. Adding weight to any springs will compress them, the Eibach's are softer than most and sit a little lower than some others, so it's often a bigger, more noticeable change. But ALL springs will change a bit with varying amouts of fuel, just like if you tossed 100 pounds of tools in the trunk.

While I agree that Pro-kits aren't ideal, this would happen (though less) with a quality spring and it happened stock. Stock springs are around 115 pounds, less than 137 of you Pro-kit. But they were higher so the change (which would actually be a touch more) with more gas just wasn't as noticeable. Stiffer springs would compress less and you spacers will stiffen the springs by effectively making some coils dead (not able to move) so that will help, but it's a band-aid.

The shocks aren't the issue, at least on the height. They don't set ride height. They are an issue on driveability, but not on the height alone.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-23-2008, 08:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The rear springs are not stiff. I seem to recall gasoline is about 7 pounds per gallon which is around a 100 pound change empty vs. full. Adding weight to any springs will compress them, the Eibach's are softer than most and sit a little lower than some others, so it's often a bigger, more noticeable change. But ALL springs will change a bit with varying amouts of fuel, just like if you tossed 100 pounds of tools in the trunk.

While I agree that Pro-kits aren't ideal, this would happen (though less) with a quality spring and it happened stock. Stock springs are around 115 pounds, less than 137 of you Pro-kit. But they were higher so the change (which would actually be a touch more) with more gas just wasn't as noticeable. Stiffer springs would compress less and you spacers will stiffen the springs by effectively making some coils dead (not able to move) so that will help, but it's a band-aid.

The shocks aren't the issue, at least on the height. They don't set ride height. They are an issue on driveability, but not on the height alone.
I missed out on the last time you just sold your rear springs...I remember a lot of guys with the Pro-Kit jumped on it and were happy that your rear springs seemed to fix the problem and compliment the stance of the front Pro-Kit springs. You wouldn't happen to have any more rear sets of your springs that you'd be willing to let go again, would you?
Old 10-24-2008, 11:26 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Sorry, I order springs as matched sets. Sometimes I get overages and have extra rears to sell, but I never know that until the very end and it's never a lot. Last time it was 5 sets. When that happens I will post, but they go fast.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-26-2008, 08:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BandDirector Blk98ZM6
..... Now I do have a stealthbox with 10" sub, and a few amps in my trunk too, so that probably adds another 40 Lbs or so if I had to guess. So...if you take that info, it seems that maybe the Eibach's are designed to sit level on a full tank of gas IF you don't have anything in the trunk?!

BINGO!
Old 10-26-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

So did the spacers help?
They shouldn't effect you ride quality, since the upper coils are "dead" coils at ride height.
Also, I know you can get them in various hardnesses;if that helps.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
So did the spacers help?
They shouldn't effect you ride quality, since the upper coils are "dead" coils at ride height.
Also, I know you can get them in various hardnesses;if that helps.
I've got the spacers, but I haven't had time to install them yet...hopefully soon.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:06 PM
12 Second Club

UPDATE:

I FINALLY had time this afternoon to go and install the spacers. I THINK they did the trick. I was on 3/4 tank of gas and after I installed the spacers, the rear is now 1/4" higher than the front on 3/4 tank of gas. It WAS a 1/2" LOWER than the fronts on a full tank of gas, so I'm fairly confident this solved the problem since I'm now a 1/4" higher on 3/4 tank...I guess I'll know for sure when I fill up. My front top of the fenders is 26.5" off the ground and the rear is now 26.75" off the ground.

I took the 1" spacer and twisted it around until it wouldn't go any higher at the top of the rear spring. It was probably between the 2nd and 3rd coil.

Here are the type of spacers I'm talking about:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I got mine at Pep Boys for like $10 each.

Quick Reply: EXTRA 1/2" Drop w/Full Tank On Eibach Pro-Kit?!