Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 12:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springs

If i get some eibach springs 1.3" front 1.6" rear...do i need to do any modifications if my car is stock? i just have a lm1 no headers yet...
Old 10-22-2008, 01:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

You will probably want to get shocks soon and I think it's a good idea to get a panhard bar
Old 10-22-2008, 09:35 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello, your going to need an adjustable panhard bar, and you will possibly need a set of lca relocation brackets. Depending on what type of driving that you do will decide on if you need the brackets or not. We offer both of these parts and any other suspension pieces that you might need for your car. I will post you a link to our site. If you have any questions please give me a call.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Last edited by BMR Tech2; 12-09-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
You will probably want to get shocks soon and I think it's a good idea to get a panhard bar
Ditto

Technically you don't need shocks, but if you want your suspension to work correctly then you need them. Shocks are a weak point in this car even with stock springs, and if you ask me should be addressed for all performance applications. This should be #1 on your list.

The rear end has side movement throughout the suspension travel based upon the the way the PHB connects to it. Getting an adjustable one you can correct the way it sits at the new ride height.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Hello, your going to need an adjustable panhard bar, and you will possibly need a set of lca relocation brackets. Depending on what type of driving that you do will decide on if you need the brackets or not. We offer both of these parts and any other suspension pieces that you might need for your car. I will post you a link to our site. If you have any questions please give me a call.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/
To suggest LCA relo brackets right off the bat without knowing the drivers application for the car is jumping the gun a bit if you ask me. Unless the poster made it known he needs traction for launching in another thread in the past, then I think you need to ask what he's doing with the car.

For drag racing, fixing wheelhop, or just getting better launches then LCA's would be up near the top of his priority list.

If he's just daily driving or wants good handling, LCA's are definitely not needed. That downward angle from axle to chassis doesn't really hurt anything for daily driving. Also, the way the axle moves under turns with the LCA's at that angle provides a bit of high speed turning stability. Also I believe the way weight is transferred during braking has benefits with the LCA's at this angle.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:38 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

First off bryan as you will note is says "depending on what type of driving you do". If he is just using it as a daily driver his lower control arm angle isn't that important but if he is drag racing or auto crossing it will matter.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by z28bryan
If he's just daily driving or wants good handling, LCA's are definitely not needed. That downward angle from axle to chassis doesn't really hurt anything for daily driving. Also, the way the axle moves under turns with the LCA's at that angle provides a bit of high speed turning stability. Also I believe the way weight is transferred during braking has benefits with the LCA's at this angle.

just thought I would point out that lowering the car w/o relocation brackets creates an UPWARD angle...

You will need to replace the shocks as well (you can get by with stockers but you won't like the ride, as stockers are not valved for lowering springs). You need an adjustable panhard rod to recenter the rear end underneath the car.
Additional parts are up to you if you want them or not. you dont need LCA's, but the relocation brackets will set your suspension geometry back to how it should be (LCA's parellel to ground)
Old 10-22-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
First off bryan as you will note is says "depending on what type of driving you do". If he is just using it as a daily driver his lower control arm angle isn't that important but if he is drag racing or auto crossing it will matter.
Oh ok I missed that. I thought you recommended it regardless but then I just re-read your post.

Just making sure you are agreeing that you don't need them for autox, and probably don't want them.

I still think shocks are #1 though and you can't ignore that.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by allmotor
just thought I would point out that lowering the car w/o relocation brackets creates an UPWARD angle...
To clarify, I wrote "downward angle from axle to chassis" which we're both saying the same thing.. I think. I'm going from back to front
Old 10-22-2008, 02:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I didn't do PHB yet. Didn't think you needed to unless you had a centering problem so maybe I will look at adding that piece with the LCA's and shocks. Damn getting expensive LOL
Old 10-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I still think shocks are #1 though and you can't ignore that.
It is definitely choice to replace the shocks at the same time as installing lowering springs. I doubt anyone will argue that.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
So I didn't do PHB yet. Didn't think you needed to unless you had a centering problem so maybe I will look at adding that piece with the LCA's and shocks. Damn getting expensive LOL
Yes, lowering will shift the position of the rearend underneath the car, especially with an advertised drop of 1.6" (if I remember correctly, Eibach's drops are lower than advertised). You can scratch the LCA's for now, just get the relocation brackets. That will save you some.

To clarify that statement, I would get what is necessary to do the job correctly the first time. That is why I would go ahead and replace the shocks as well. Depending on what type of driving you do, AGX adjustables should be fine. Along this the springs/shocks, I would get the essentials for recorrecting the suspension geometry that will be thrown off after lowering. The adjustable panhard rod and LCArelocation brackets will take care of it. lower control arms themselves are not needed atm.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

needing lca relocation brackets is a myth. not even sam uses them and he auto-x's it depends on the car and if it has wheel hop issues.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
needing lca relocation brackets is a myth. not even sam uses them and he auto-x's it depends on the car and if it has wheel hop issues.
I wouldn't say myth. They are just needed for certain applications. Autox is not one of them. In drag racing they are huge.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:13 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

*needing* them, as in everyone NEEDS them just because they lower the car is a myth.

I'm not, and did not, say that they didn't have a function or do anything. They do, and when a car has traction issues and/or wheelhop problems they are quite useful. That doesn't make them a requirement and many cars do not have them that are lowered--including mine. And from a rear end stability standpoint not having them actually helps.

Classis situation of different parts for different needs.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!